1.    #1  
    I understand that Palm was always a US centric company and therefore never understood the international/worldwide cellphone business. This, along with their neglecting their core market, the business/corporate customer, are the two main reasons for the failure of Palm inspite of having the best mobile OS and waht was a reasonably top of the line phone when launched. But with HP buying them out, I had hoped that Palm's vision would have become more global and if nothing else more 'business' oriented. But sadly this has not been the case. The 'Pre 2' still incorporates the same 3G radio, which either works in the US or in the rest of the world. Palm continues to, for some unknown reason, preclude it's US customers from using their phones outside the US and their overseas customers, whatever few they have in Europe, from using their phones in the US. Roaming between the US and the rest of the world, is something that is obviously beyond the comprehension of Palm. Why would HP-Palm not include a universal, Penta or at the least Quad band, 3G radio in the 'Pre 2' is beyond my comprehension.

PS: By having a Quad/Penta band 3G radio, they could even save on production costs by having common GSM inventory. Other than for Germany and France due to the Qwertz and Azerty, keypad issues.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I think its too early to draw conclusions about what HP's designs on international business mean for a quad band phone.

The pre2 was designed prior to the HP buyout, and may not represent what will come from HP-Palm eventually.
    From the french Pre 2 guide:

Table 1. Spécifications
    Radio
    • Bibande WCDMA/HSDPA (850/1900 ou 900/2100)
    • Quadribande GSM/GPRS/EGPRS (850/900/1800/1900)
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    From the french Pre 2 guide:

Table 1. Spécifications
    Radio
    • Bibande WCDMA/HSDPA (850/1900 ou 900/2100)
    • Quadribande GSM/GPRS/EGPRS (850/900/1800/1900)
    The 'quad band' listed here refers to the GSM radio, not the 3G radio which is clearly listed as 'Bibande', which I presume to mean 'Dual' band.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I've been saying all along the choice to make dual-band 3G 900/2100 and 850/1900 versions was a stupid mistake. This made two versions of the GSM radio boards to stockpile. Doing it the iPhone/Galaxy S way was the right way to do it: 850/1900/2100, so one version for global. One less SKU to stock, everything else is software so stock would be much easier to manage between the global carriers. UMTS 900 is not important because there aren't many actively deployed 900 networks worldwide, it was only recently approved for UMTS usage, reclaiming GSM 900 bands.

Pre 2 probably just inherited the Pre's parts bin hence still two versions. I hope HP is better in this regard.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    HP should make marketable worldwide including app catalog.
    The iphone 4 for example is quad band for 3G radio (850/900/1900/2100 ). The same for the blackberry torch (800/850/1900/2100). Specs are taken from gsmarena.com.

Although the pre 2 is quad band for GSM, its only dual-band for 3G radio. No wonder its hardware is always lagging vs the competitors.

Now that Palm/HP are releasing factory unlocked phones. They should consider creating similar capability. What you think HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I understand that Palm was always a US centric company and therefore never understood the international/worldwide cellphone business. This, along with their neglecting their core market, the business/corporate customer, are the two main reasons for the failure of Palm inspite of having the best mobile OS and waht was a reasonably top of the line phone when launched. But with HP buying them out, I had hoped that Palm's vision would have become more global and if nothing else more 'business' oriented. But sadly this has not been the case. The 'Pre 2' still incorporates the same 3G radio, which either works in the US or in the rest of the world. Palm continues to, for some unknown reason, preclude it's US customers from using their phones outside the US and their overseas customers, whatever few they have in Europe, from using their phones in the US. Roaming between the US and the rest of the world, is something that is obviously beyond the comprehension of Palm. Why would HP-Palm not include a universal, Penta or at the least Quad band, 3G radio in the 'Pre 2' is beyond my comprehension.

PS: By having a Quad/Penta band 3G radio, they could even save on production costs by having common GSM inventory. Other than for Germany and France due to the Qwertz and Azerty, keypad issues.
    hmmmm ... I've used my Treo 680 in the UK and HK just by switching in a local SIM card. The phone works fine as can be. I would have used my Palm Pre Plus in the UK last month, had AT&T not been less than honest about unlocking it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sakitepinko View Post
    The iphone 4 for example is quad band for 3G radio (850/900/1900/2100 ). The same for the blackberry torch (800/850/1900/2100). Specs are taken from gsmarena.com.

Although the pre 2 is quad band for GSM, its only dual-band for 3G radio. No wonder its hardware is always lagging vs the competitors.

Now that Palm/HP are releasing factory unlocked phones. They should consider creating similar capability. What you think HP?
    iPhone is actually Pentaband, has 800 as well. But it's only used in Japan.

As I mentioned above, the only explanation is that the Pre 2 is using the remaining parts from the Pre.

HP better have something at least Quadband at CES.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by grankin View Post
    hmmmm ... I've used my Treo 680 in the UK and HK just by switching in a local SIM card. The phone works fine as can be. I would have used my Palm Pre Plus in the UK last month, had AT&T not been less than honest about unlocking it.
    Unlocking has nothing to do with bands...

And your Treo 680 is irrelevant as well, it's 2G Quadband, and so is the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Unlocking has nothing to do with bands...

And your Treo 680 is irrelevant as well, it's 2G Quadband, and so is the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    The 'quad band' listed here refers to the GSM radio, not the 3G radio which is clearly listed as 'Bibande', which I presume to mean 'Dual' band.
    You miss my point. As AT&T refused to unlock the Pre, it was entirely useless in the UK as a telephone. Therefore I used it as a phone book and calendar.

I take your point: the 680, functioning very nicely as a telephone in HK, was not so speedy as a web surfing device.

How's that?