1.    #1  
    I 've had my Pre for a month or so now. I have had no problems until recently. My Pre will randomly shut down. It has been happening about once a day and seeming to become more frequent. I will go to check to see if I missed any messages and it will be powered off. I have to restart it and you know how long that takes.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Any help is appreciated.
    I've had this issue before, turned out in my case that my spare battery fit a little loose, tightened it up with a little piece of paper and it hasn't shut off since.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I've had this issue before, turned out in my case that my spare battery fit a little loose, tightened it up with a little piece of paper and it hasn't shut off since.
    Tried it, we will see if this works!
    Any update on if this was your issue boddah? My girlfriend's Pre has been doing this, and removing/reinserting the battery does nothing. Recently I plugged it into a charger and left it there and it turned on after about 15 minutes, but the battery was fully charged.

If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I have the same issue...random at best....annoying !

D
    it is the battery. get a new battery or have it replaced at the store. this is a known problem that I thought was fixed with later releases of the Pre. Maybe you actually got an older Pre - which is possible since they don't sell all that well now.

You can also wedge a bit of folded paper at the top of the batter in order to shove it down to make better contact. However, this is pretty lame and we shouldn't have to do this with our phones.
    Could it be the battery even tho removing/reinserting does nothing, and trying to turn it on does nothing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Could it be the battery even tho removing/reinserting does nothing, and trying to turn it on does nothing?
    take the battery back and see if they will replace it for you.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    If you bought a used phone it could have been patched by the prior owner to have core voltages reduced and it's aging and acting up now. My phone's patches for core voltages (through the uber kernel) survived a reset (which is what your carrier needs to do) to put you on the phone, but it wasn't showing it until i re-downloaded the patches and looked and they were still reduced.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey View Post
    Any update on if this was your issue boddah? My girlfriend's Pre has been doing this, and removing/reinserting the battery does nothing. Recently I plugged it into a charger and left it there and it turned on after about 15 minutes, but the battery was fully charged.

Hasn't randomly shut down since I put the little piece of paper wedged in next to the battery. I used a cut up post it note and folded it in half 3 or 4 times and it has worked wonders so far!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I've had mine shut down with the piece of paper wedged in there while it was simply sitting on the night stand.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    Usually the wedge thing helps when the shutting down occurred from closing the keyboard or moving the phone. Try getting a replacement battery. If you did get a used phone, due for best practice to run the doctor in case.

Get Dr. Battery app from preware to test out the battery.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    I'm not sure if this belongs here, but here goes..

I got my pre- over a year now and for the first time ever it turned itself completely off over night and thus failed to alarm me. Here is what happened before and after:

I wanted to calibrate my battery with Dr.Battery. The calibration wasn't successful, I let the battery drain and followed the instructions on the screen (it wasn't the first time me doing this, but the first time calibration failed) and as the battery got charged to 100% Dr.Battery didn't stop calibrating for about 20min - for whatever reason. So I stopped the calibration because I wanted to sleep - and my battery was at 100% - right?
    So next morning I wake up and my pre is shut down. I try the power-up but it doesn't work! I then put the charger back in the pre and voila, the pre starts booting up. Now everything is back to normal with my pre. the power button works fine, sound, alarms work, and my battery was still at 97% after bootup.

Why would my pre shut itself down over night? For the first time in my long pre-history..
    It just happened again and today I had an exam... luckily I use a real alarm since the last time.
    I charged the battery before going to sleep and voil, it shut itself down and would only restart by plugging it back in again.
    This is so annoying..
    I tried the paper wedge thing didn't work so well. So I took one of those foam ear plugs you squeeze and insert into your ear and cut two ~4mm cubes (trim to fit...). I stuffed one cube into each bottom corner of the phone where the battery "prongs" fit into the phone (the same side as the battery contacts, yes I know this is counter intuitive but the problem is allowing the battery to move in relation to the compartment, not how hard you press the battery into the contacts) . Replaced the battery and volla I have had zero shutdowns over the past year due to jostling/impacts (yes even setting it down on the table too hard used make it shutdown.) I even dropped my phone this morning on concrete, kicked it trying to "catch" it with my foot and it skidded across the floor and it is still on.

*This trick also allows you to buy all those batteries that were returned on the cheap and use with impunity...
    I added 2 of the round sticky felt pads (used on the bottom of lamps etc) and stuck them to the inside of back cover. The battery is nice and tight and it also fixed the keyboard creak while typing.
    the paper wedge trick usually works. But I had pre #3 (before my current one) that had the problem adn the paper trick wouldn't work....sprint exchanged it back when I was < 1yr
    Just called about my 4th Pre. My first experience with the loose battery. After a couple of weeks with the paper wedged in there, it's still powering off on occasion. #5 is on the way now. I guess that's what $7/month will get you , here's to hoping that they run out of Pre's soon and start handing out the Pre 2's
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
    Maybe you need more paper? Lol
    Maybe. Maybe since it was sitting still/untouched on the table it is a voltage issue. When powered back on there was still 92% left.
    Sprint Palm Pre
    if you are still having problems with the battery fit, start a chat session on Palm's support site and tell them to send you a new battery. they changed the design a long time ago and they should replace it for you.