Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I juss got my new pre from our favorite people at asurion and it looks diffrently behind the battery cover. Like the yellow ribbons outlining everything is a beautiful metallic color and has a shine to it. And the board is all black instead of the ussual green. I have had multiple pres.. About five. And this is the first one I've gotten like this. Any help would be appreciated.
    Does it work well? Is it build solid? If the answer to those questions is "yes"... does it matter what color the ribbons and boards are? You most likely got a rebuild device that has some upgraded components.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    pics or it didn't happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by TyBec View Post
    pics or it didn't happen!
    +1
  5.    #5  
    can you upload pics on here from a pre? That's what I'm workin off of. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You most likely got a rebuild device that has some upgraded components.
    There's a really good chance that you're right, and this is one of those things that people frequently fail to understand about refurbished items, regardless of whether you talking about a phone, a TV, a camera, whatever.

OEM parts are meant to be installed by highly specialized (and highly precise) machines capable of installing incredibly delicate parts in ways you and I could never manage.

Repair parts are meant to be installed by people.

As a general rule, this results in repair parts being of a higher quality than OEM.

Also, most manufacturing lines perform only the most cursory quality control inspections on each device, while periodically doing a detailed inspection of a SMALL sample from the line to look for problems. On the other hand, when devices are sent in to be refurbished, each item is gone over with a fine tooth comb.

Also, once a certain level of wear has been reached, most consumer products can't be refurbished anymore. So, most refurbished items are ones that were defective right out of the box or failed within a short period of use.

The up-shot of all this, is that most refurbished items are at least as good, if not better, than a new unit.

Like the man says, if it's working well, who cares?
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
  7.    #7  
    i cant upload links yet cause of my post count i need 5 more! i have pics tho.

i honestly dont know if it works yet as i have yet to activate it.

its cool to see a change in scenery from the dingy yellow to a goldish.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 11/08/2010 at 07:40 AM.
  8.    #8  

its like gold almost. idk

its hard to see the blacked out board. i took the pics with my current pre.

i have yet to activate it. im juss curious. i hope it performs better then my last ones.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I don't see anything special. That's what my 1.5 yr old Pre looks like.
    Last edited by santos; 12/20/2010 at 09:52 PM.
    looks normal to me..
  11.    #11  
    :/ alright.
    No the original pre yellow looked almost painted,a bright yellow. That one is metallic. I see what you are talking about. I don't know when it changed and I don't think mine is like that.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    No the original pre yellow looked almost painted,a bright yellow. That one is metallic. I see what you are talking about. I don't know when it changed and I don't think mine is like that.
    thats what i was thinking. it seems like an extra effort was taken.. i dont even know what those things do. are they the antenna?
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    In regards to the statements about refurbished phones being gone over with a fine-toothed comb...

So, that's why I received 3 defective refurbished phones in a row directly from Sprint within a week then, right?
  15.    #15  
    ive had the same prob.but mine come from the insurance company. like i said this is my fifth pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbofan View Post
    In regards to the statements about refurbished phones being gone over with a fine-toothed comb...

So, that's why I received 3 defective refurbished phones in a row directly from Sprint within a week then, right?
    I think Sprint's refurb supply is dwindling. I'm still on a waiting list for a new device, which I was hoping to be a Pre 2 but apparently now for Sprint that's not gonna happen. They've been "out" of new Pre's from corporate since July at least. I received a new device that was also defective (power button issues and then began overheating). I've currently got a refurb that works so-so, I'm not going to push my luck on trying another. I've gotten refurbs with bad touch screens, bad headphone jacks, bad keyboards, not physically put together right with the keyboard all screwy, etc.

Palm's repair quality control is abysmal to put it politely.
    Quote Originally Posted by turbofan View Post

I see your argument and raise you the fact you needed a referb because your original broke xD

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    the area in question that was n is Yellow and on ur Pre that is silver is there as a moisture marker, should liquid be absorbed by the device it will change color, I know for a fact that the yellow turns to green when exposed to moisture. The silver I have no idea, also there is a water marker on the inside of the battery compartment that will change from white to red if dropped in water or such.
    well the gold on the first pic is your antennae, although it looks like either someone polished it or painted it gold. on the second picture the 2 prongs are for the touchstone backplate.

i'm looking at my frankenpre (pre plus using a pre minus com board) right now and it seems to be roughly the same coloration on the antennae prongs.

maybe palm was using intermixing parts from the pre minus with pre plus?
  20.    #20  
    I really need to activate that phone.. It'd be cool if they put some new kinda hardware in it. :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast