Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Hi there,

Have had a German Palm Pre for several months now...but unfortunately cannot buy applications. (The app store won't accept Australian Visa)

I did manage to get a Wirecard 2 Go pre paid visa card briefly working from Germany which worked with the included 10 Euro....but unfortunately adding credit to it is very difficult. (Even with an Uncle who is in Germany and prepared to add credit to it.)

We are emailing their support and trying to get some help on how to do it.

I guess the question I have....is there any other way I can buy applications?

In particular I would love to buy Classic Note...

I love the Palm Pre phone but the inability to buy software is frustrating.

Would an American per paid Visa card work?

Are there other alternatives?

Is there a German out there who can some how help me?

I only want to get about 50 Euro's worth of software...but I'm at a bit of a dead end!

Thanks for any help!
    Im not sure how it works over there, but i just put in the number of my Visa debit card and its recognized as a credit card. You should trying chatting with them online or calling them.

http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/na/...s/page_en.html

Click on "Palm Chat" to chat with a Palm rep. They'll probably have a better answer than me or you can just call them at 1-866-750-PALM (7256).
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    I contacted Palm chat.....

10:32 AM Luke: Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. How can I help you today?
    10:32 AM Earl Larson: Hi Luke... um I was just wondering if there will be any other ways to purchase applications in the future
    10:32 AM Earl Larson: Such as via your carrier bill or pay pal
    10:33 AM Luke: I understand that you would like to know if there will be other methods of purchasing 3rd party softwares in the future. Is that right?
    10:33 AM Earl Larson: Yes
    10:35 AM Luke: Thank you. Currently, 3rd party softwares are available for purchase through the App Catalog application on the phone with the use of Credit Card information. I do apologize but I do not have a definite information if there will be other methods to purchase 3rd party softwares in the future. Palm understands that some features are not currently supported. Ill make a note of the feature you mentioned and you can also visit the following website to request a feature: palm.com/us/company/feedback.html . Customer input is an important consideration when we make enhancements and introduce new features. Changes such as this are delivered automatically by our over-the-air update system.
    If you're using a German Pre with the German app catalog, you need a German credit (or sometimes debit) card. That is the only way you'll be able to buy the apps you want.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    If you're using a German Pre with the German app catalog, you need a German credit (or sometimes debit) card. That is the only way you'll be able to buy the apps you want.
    well that's stupid. all you should need is money.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Garrett that's actually not correct. You need a credit card from one of the EU launch countries (France, Germany, Spain, UK, plus Holland and Austria).
    Or a virtual card as OP suggests. But OP is an expert on the subject.

Thought I was right lol. I'm really not too familiar with the whole 'using a Pre in an unofficial country' thing.

Giving advice about something you know very little about... I feel like 'that guy' haha...

Anyway... My apologies.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    either way any form of electronic payment should be good enough. the guy has money and wants to give it to you and you don't want to take it. No wonder they ended up having to get taken over.
    Talk to Rod Whitby and find out how he does it. I know he uses a prepaid card from an American store, but I can't remember which one. He lives in Australia as well, so it may work for you.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I use an 02 prepaid visa,it works a treat.
    German 02 customers can get one also.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  10. AZ8
    Im not much help...but according to all the Visa commercials, and recently during the World Cup and Olympics....all you really need is a Visa!

I mean, money is money! I feel for ya!

Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks all...I feel the love!!

Anyway the issue is that the German App store is very specific about what kind of Visa it accepts...the profile option includes a specific list of billing countries....and Australia isn't one of them.

I've bought all manner of items throughout the EU with my Visa whilst travelling there.....I've had no issues buying and importing all sorts of products into Australia via websites...microphones from Russia...Bike trailers from the US...etc.etc...

..but the German Palm app catalog store is a different beast!

Money is not really money...unless it is European money!

Anyway I might look into that 02 prepaid option mentioned...that is the first I have heard of that...thank you...

First though I'll have a last go at trying to add credit to my Wirecard 2 Go visa...thankfully their support and my Uncle are trying to navigate their activation registration top up credit process.....but...you guessed it...it doesn't work from an Australian ip address...

It is hard trying to help my Uncle figure out what to do for me on his pc...when I can't see the screen..and also am dealing with words that are a bit more technical in German...their tech support is trying to help..which is good...hopefully my Uncle can figure it out..

All in all it has been quite a challenge...one that the millions of Apple iPhone zealots here in Australia don't have to worry about!

I just want to simply buy apps and support developers and Palm!! I have money...money available in whatever currency on the planet they want...but I just need a means to get it through the obstacle course of the Palm app catalog!

Thank you for letting me vent some of my frustrations...it is very therapeutic!
    Last edited by Mavoz; 11/08/2010 at 05:20 AM.
    sorry about your difficulty . Let us know how it works out .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    It is hard trying to help my Uncle figure out what to do for me on his pc...when I can't see the screen..and also am dealing with words that are a bit more technical in German...their tech support is trying to help..which is good...hopefully my Uncle can figure it out..
    Remote Desktop?
    Your uncle could send you a Remote Assistance request mail.
    that would actually work wouldn't it GFN ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks very much for the ideas.....the remote is one I've thought about...but my Uncle is fairly security conscious...so I haven't tried that method yet....I think me logging on to his computer from Australia might scare the living daylights out of him!

...thank you for the link though...I've used "log me in" in the past succesfully....but that might be an easier option....

will keep you posted on progess...we are close!!
  16. s4l
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I also have a German Pre, and I quite frankly had the same exact problem like you. The solution is Doctoring your Pre. Doctor your pre, and it will begin taking Debit/MasterCards from the USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Hi,
    I also have a German Pre, and I quite frankly had the same exact problem like you. The solution is Doctoring your Pre. Doctor your pre, and it will begin taking Debit/MasterCards from the USA.
    That seems outside the expected behaviour (unless of course, you are in the USA). I would have expected a German Pre to only accept Euro cards? Which Doctor did you use and what else did you do?
    Last edited by johncc; 11/09/2010 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Qualified comment - Thanks GFN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavoz View Post
    First though I'll have a last go at trying to add credit to my Wirecard 2 Go visa...thankfully their support and my Uncle are trying to navigate their activation registration top up credit process.....but...you guessed it...it doesn't work from an Australian ip address...
    Have you tried going through a german proxy server?

Proxy extensions for Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lup=&advanced=

googling for german proxy servers I found this as an example:
    Germany Open Proxy List

Haven't tried this myself - good luck
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Have you tried going through a german proxy server?

Proxy extensions for Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...lup=&advanced=

googling for german proxy servers I found this as an example:
    Germany Open Proxy List

Haven't tried this myself - good luck
    This is a good proxy site: Proxy Lists. Sorted by country. List #4 (German IP's start on this page)
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Thanks very much for the proxy idea...had wondered about whether there was some way to do that...
    only thing...this isn't going to get me arrested by Polizei next time I arrive at Frankfurt is it??! Ie. Trying to get around a bank sites geographic blocking!?

Oh well...if they lock me up in Germany...a German prison address might just let me get a German credit card..and then i can buy apps!
    Last edited by Mavoz; 11/10/2010 at 03:53 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast