1.    #1  
    Hi,

So I just ordered an original Palm Pre GSM QWERTY SIM-Free from Expansys as it was an really good deal at AU$220, and I've always been curious about WebOS as I am so over my iPhone.

So I was wondering, what should I do when I get it? And what will the setup be like, as I am in Australia on Virgin Mobile.

Obviously, according to what I have read from the forums already, there will be no paid apps, which is fine, as the only app I really use is Facebook haha.

But what else should I know before it gets here?
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    That is 4 times cheaper than mine. I have been using Virgin Mobile since last year. No issue. Taken all around the world and works fine with wifi but a global SIM card did not work. You must activate in USA or other standard PRE country to be able to buy apps. Then use a credit card issued in that country. A big pain as I activated in Aus. My plan is to activate my next one in the USA. Use preware ASAP.
    Hi, jho4evah. Welcome to your addiction and the webos world.
    You should start by reading all the great, and exciting things that can be done on your phone. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html. Enjoy!

Note: Before doing any modifications on your phone... remember to have the phone in developer mode.Type: webos20090606...(i.e. Homebrew, patches, themes, overclock kernels.
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, the paid apps thing doesn't really bother me... I hardly buy apps for my iPhone either. As long as I get access to the free ones such as Facebook I should be okay.

And I've been looking at all the patches etc, and compared to my iPhone, it's just amazing what I can do with WebOS compared to what I have now with iOS.

Also, when I get my Pre on Wednesday, will everything be preset for Virgin AU?

Or will I have to do extra work to get the APN's and stuff for Virgin?
    I thought palm pre, atleast CDMA ones were available on ebay for 8- dollars.

Update: I meant 80 dollars
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 11/08/2010 at 10:17 AM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I thought palm pre, atleast CDMA ones were available on ebay for 8- dollars.
    I would have gotten a couple more pres on what I already have. There is no truth to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I would have gotten a couple more pres on what I already have. There is no truth to that.
    He meant $80... And that is true. You can even find them cheaper.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    He went $80... And that is true. You can even find them cheaper.
    Yea! I'll be searching ebay later on today. If palm or sprint ever run out of palm pres ~ I'll have enough to last me until...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    GSM Pres are more expensive. You can get a good as new/used one on ebay for around EUR 140/150 (and that's a QWERTZ model).
    Then again, in general GSM Pres have always had better build quality than CMDA Sprint.

I bought an AZERTY Pre Plus a few months ago for € 150. Sold it to Richard R who modded the kb.
    Quote:
    Then again, in general GSM Pres have always had better build quality than CMDA Sprint. Quote Ends..

I would have to disagree on that statement somewhat. Maybe on some of the first batch of (CDMA) sprint palm pres. I have three palm pres right now and these are robustly built.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Quote:
    Then again, in general GSM Pres have always had better build quality than CMDA Sprint. Quote Ends..

I would have to disagree on that statement somewhat. Maybe on some of the first batch of (CDMA) sprint palm pres. I have three palm pres right now and these are robustly built.
    No, the Pre Pluses actually have improved hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Well perhaps you're right RUSH (but just this once).
    All we hear about CDMA devices is how horrid they are, and you Sprint people seem to go through them like hankies in a harsh winter.
    I just want the better keyboard from the Plus... The Sprint keyboard is pretty mushy
    You definitely dont want Verizon plus keyboard as it sucks worse than sprint keyboard. So if only CDMA version is Sprint and Verizon I would say GSM keyboard are better in that sense.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    ;Most earlier returns were mostly cause by the "Famous" oreo effect. After palm have had multiple complain from customers about the two halves twisting apart from each other. They then made the pres robustly built in 2010.(assumsion on my part, however.. seem likely true)