Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just upgraded to an At&t palm pre plus. I have always wanted to buy it and m pretty happy with it so far. I run 500/800 screenstate which overcomes the lag issue.

my 30 day return window wil be over in 4 days but I m having 2nd thoughts about the pre plus. My reasons:

- old hardware.good for now but will be stuck with this device for next 2 years and will be pretty archaic by next year
    - disappointed with battery life. Planing to buy spare battery. Do not want to fatten the pre with the extended battery
    - lack of apps compared to iOS and android. Don't foresee too many apps coming out in the coming years due to lack of a popular hardware

I m considering the Captivate or Blackberry Storm. I know the captivate has gps issues but is a solid device otherwise. I played with it but I will have to compromise on real multitasking.

Torch is awesome as well with lots of useful apps and a physical keyboard. Also it has far better batery life. Notification sysyem is decent as well

so....i love webos but I m concerned about being stuck with old hardware for next 2 years and that too with not much app availability.

looking for advise from other people who would have considered android or blackberry devices
    Are there specific apps you want? Or, do you just desire a larger library to browse?
    I'd say take it back buy an old phone form craigs list or ebay to hold you over till either the pre 2 comes to at&t. Or wait till after CES 2011 to see what new webOS phones come out.
    Sorry, I have never considered android or blackberry devices since I got my Pre Plus. It just fits my needs and the app catalog is sufficient. With new apps added every day and webOS 2.0 coming out, I have no reason to look else ware.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    after going through four pre plus' i got sick of it and went with a droid x and haven't looked back. don't get me wrong, webos is an awesome operating system (and i obviously like it enough to still follow it, which is why i'm here), but man, the hardware is garbage. i looked at it this way. not only is there serious hardware issues as far as quality, but it is really becoming dated. not to mention the gps issues (which i never got over and am still steamed about. broken gps, what a joke) and crap keyboard are not a problem for me anymore.

i always used to read around here how clunky android was and hard to navigate. sure it's not as fluid as webos with the card system, but i've never said to myself while using it 'wow, this is really not done well'.

a lot of people seem to be ok overcoming the hardware issues to get to the great OS, but for me it was too much and i don't regret leaving one bit
    Quote Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
    I'd say take it back buy an old phone form craigs list or ebay to hold you over till either the pre 2 comes to at&t. Or wait till after CES 2011 to see what new webOS phones come out.
    I would agree, as long as you are able to:

A) retain your upgrade eligibility for another time and

B) the act of putting a different phone on your line, doesn't make you ineligible or locks you in to another contract.

Some providers only lock you in when you buy a new phone from them or an authorized dealer. Others will take away your eligibility the moment you replace your phone, even if it's an old hand-me-down.

With that in mind, you can, allegedly, get a Pre + for as little as $50 and change. Don't know if it's really true, but, might be worth it.

As for making it the device you want... don't forget, there are quite a few overclocking configurations and, including your own custom options, you haven't tried them all. AND, don't forget battery upgrades. The Mugen 1400mAh is great (visit Mugenpower.com). $31.99 with free shipping.

I use the Mugen and I run Govnah with a custom 125Mhz/1Ghz On Demand setting. I also toggle data off 1 third to half the time (probably not necessary) and I'm getting 29-33.5 hours of battery life and doing whatever I want. Sure, there are exceptions that will eat power. But, even half the life I'm getting is around 15 hours, which is still pretty good.

So, don't give up hope. The downside with the Pre, is it's not as much a performer as some would like, fresh out of the box. The upside it, you can turn it into almost anything you want.

Good luck with your decision
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    ATT plusses are a good bit more than Verizon. I'd say 150-200 you can get one on ebay.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ditto, buy used phone on e-bay. I more or less refuse to use upgrades becuase it's easier for a carrier to take advantage of you if you're locked into a 2 year contract. I've found verizon always cuts me slack when i screw up with roaming issues or something and i wonder if it's because i'm month to month.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewal View Post
    ditto, buy used phone on e-bay. I more or less refuse to use upgrades becuase it's easier for a carrier to take advantage of you if you're locked into a 2 year contract. I've found verizon always cuts me slack when i screw up with roaming issues or something and i wonder if it's because i'm month to month.
    You can also try Craig's List. This can help insure that the phone is legit. Meet the person and pop your card in to make sure it works before you buy.

Just a thought.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    You could also go back to using you old phone for a month and get an unlocked Pre 2 directly from Palm. I'm sure the unlocked GSM Pre 2 will be available soon. As it is targeted as a developer device, you will probably get updates to it directly from Palm and be ahead of the curve-instead of having to waite on AT&T to push out updates.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tophaholic View Post
    I m considering the Captivate or Blackberry Storm.
    If you're considering making the switch to Verizon, then why not wait for the Pre2? The hardware is noticeably improved (1gHz processor, faster RAM, etc) along with WebOS.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    the OP would HATE the BB Storm. The torcj is the only BB woth having, and only a little. If you are married to at&t, get a used pre to protect your upgrade, or get an iphone. Most of the android phones on at&t suck, IMHO
    Buy an extended battery, they are same size as your original battery. Buy Mughen 1400 mAh battery. They are cheap and will give 3-4 hours more of battery life for same size without adding any thickness.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  14.    #14  
    my bad....i meant to say blackberry torch
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear your having second thoughts taph, but if in the end you decide to go blackberry or galaxy phone. It would be galaxy unless you need a hardware kb. In about 4 days I've managed to master multi-tasking on my epic and it's 100% real multi-tasking just like webOS. In a few words I would describe android multitasking as less intuitive or a bit clunky, but otherwise complete and fully functional.

You could also return it and wait a minute to see if the pre2 might interest you, if it doesn't take too much longer to come out that is.
    Very curious... I've played with Android a lot, as my wife has a Hero. How is it 100% real multitasking? The best I have seen with Android is the ability to open a little menu of most recently used icons, just like iPhone 4. But, if it's actually just like WebOS, where you can see your work, in multiple, minimized, "windows", like a desktop, I would consider it as (at least) an interim device. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    Sorry to hear your having second thoughts taph, but if in the end you decide to go blackberry or galaxy phone. It would be galaxy unless you need a hardware kb. In about 4 days I've managed to master multi-tasking on my epic and it's 100% real multi-tasking just like webOS. In a few words I would describe android multitasking as less intuitive or a bit clunky, but otherwise complete and fully functional.

You could also return it and wait a minute to see if the pre2 might interest you, if it doesn't take too much longer to come out that is.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 11/07/2010 at 01:03 PM.
    I just upgraded to an At&t palm pre plus. I have always wanted to buy it and m pretty happy with it so far. I run 500/800 screenstate which overcomes the lag issue.

my 30 day return window wil be over in 4 days but I m having 2nd thoughts about the pre plus. My reasons:

- old hardware.good for now but will be stuck with this device for next 2 years and will be pretty archaic by next year
    Yes but you can overclock to 1Ghz and WebOS 2.0 is coming out soon for your device.

- disappointed with battery life. Planing to buy spare battery. Do not want to fatten the pre with the extended battery
    The mugen 1400mAh battery extends life by 22% and doesnt fatten the Pre at all. [HLI-PRESL] Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre and Palm Pixi

- lack of apps compared to iOS and android. Don't foresee too many apps coming out in the coming years due to lack of a popular hardware
    6 new devices are in the pipeline by HP and Palm. You couldnt be more wrong.

I m considering the Captivate or Blackberry Storm. I know the captivate has gps issues but is a solid device otherwise. I played with it but I will have to compromise on real multitasking.
    The Storm is a terrible terrible device. I dont know the Captivate.

Torch is awesome as well with lots of useful apps and a physical keyboard. Also it has far better batery life. Notification sysyem is decent as well
    Honestly the Torch doesnt have that many apps. If you want to buy into an OS that will slowly be going down the tubes within the next couple of years totally get a Blackberry.

I would say either Overclock your Pre Plus and be happy that Palm is a good company that will continue to give you the best updates possible over the next 2 years.

Or you could wait until the Pre2 or other new devices come to At&t...but that might be a year. A year you could enjoy your Pre Plus for, then sell to someone and get a partial upgrade on At&t to a new Palm device.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

so....i love webos but I m concerned about being stuck with old hardware for next 2 years and that too with not much app availability.

looking for advise from other people who would have considered android or blackberry devices
    You say that you don't want "old" hardware, but then you say that you'd be ok with a Blackberry Torch?
    You say that you don't like small app selections, and say that the Torch would be ok for you?

Come on, give us something consistent to work with!

From what I've seen, the Torch suffers from an unfortunate double-focus on hardware button and touch screen navigation, so the UI often seems confusing/laggy/broken depending on what you do with it.

Additionally, I would also like to know what apps you want can't be found in webOS. Your use of the term "app availability" begs the question, what exact complaints do you have with it?
    Or do like I did, I just signed a 1 year and payed only $70 for the phone. With 2.0 coming soon and everyone on here I love the webos, comming from a BB Curve for 2 years.
  20.    #20  
    Thanks for all your opinions and advise guys!!
    Unfortunately AT&T does not allow 1 yr contract extensions.

Anyways...I gave it a real good thought and finally swapped my pre plus for a Blackberry torch.

I really loved the WebOS and how everything from webpages to contacts looks great on WebOS. But I was really dissappointed with the short battery life and lack of updates from Palm/HP e.g. pdf reader not working. I had started another thread asking if pdf reader is fixed in pre2 but it seems it is still broken. I wanted to like my pre plus but I was not too sure about continued support from Palm/HP for this device.

A few thoughts about the Torch after having used it for a day.

Cons:
    - lack of contacts linking/merging in device. Have to do it via google contacts. Had to try 3 times to get it synced right with no duplicates
    - graphics are poor, webpages look bland on the berry
    - browser speed is decent on wifi but real slow on 3G. havent installed latest update. I read that this is fixed
    - multitasking not as intuitive as WebOS but it is real (not android like)

Pros:
    - Solid hardware quality
    - Slider mechanism is ultra smooth and seems sturdy (no wobble so far)
    - optical thumb scroller thingy is a good alternate input method
    - blackberry OS6 is really great. Love the blackberry options menu
    - push email is good to have (dont really need it)
    - battery life looks good so far.

It was great hanging out on these forums. Will check back periodically to check the status on the pre2 and how it performs. Maybe I'll return to WebOS with one of the future planned devices.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast