1.    #1  
    Hi I have posted here before, but I have now settled into my Web OS nook. With Android (my DROID) I was very good at theming, replacing images, even writing some applications. With Web OS it is a little different. Can somebody give me the low down on the basics? How do I go about opening a ROM, or in this case, editing system images? Uhm any other things developer related just post I guess. Thanks!

Ok, thanks guys. I already actually installed Preware and I'm OC to 1ghz (and I actually have way more battery than when I didnt OC with an app called NoDoze (I know I know it shouldnt but it does). Im looking to actually mess around with the operating systems code and what not.
    Last edited by ursula; 11/06/2010 at 12:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    check out the developer, theming and homebrew sub forums and you're sure to find answers, likely stickied. Better than I can put them.
    rom = patch (thats oversimplifying a bit)

get quickinstall. Use it to install preware. In preware turn on the theme feeds. That will put you into paradise. Then get uberkernel/govnah to overclock. You will pee just a little.

then read the sticky threads in the subforums. By then you will be spending all your time with your phone and not have made eye contact with anyone for several weeks, and used up all your 'sick' days at work.
    well... ROM = doctor.

However, the benefit of webOS is as opposed to rewriting and packaging the whole ROM every time yoe want to modifty it, the good people here have written patches instead. So as mentioned above, just pick up preware. It's all the modifications you'd ever need. If you REALLY want to get in deeper, look for "meta-doctor" and you'll find what else you need.
    Hi ursula,

There are some great threads in our Palm Pre Tips, Information, and Resources forum to help new users make the most of there devices.

Here are some that will help you get started with Homebrewing (apps/patches/themes):

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Getting Started: Homebrew Apps, Patches, and Themes with WebOS Quick Install

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    And feel free to come back and comment on what you find and what the differences are.
    well the other differences are that a lot of the patches that are needed or used in webOS are pretty much apps in android, right now in my opinion theres not really a reason to root on android anymore unless you want free wifi tethering, you can still do tethering with cable for free
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

8.    #8  
    Well you also need root to overclock, obviously theme, load roms, have certain applications. Also pretty much most development outside of applications is done with root, such as Jamzelle at Droidforums.net is working on porting Sense UI to the DROID. Also on XDA a group of developers is porting Sense to all the Galaxy devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Well you also need root to overclock, obviously theme, load roms, have certain applications. Also pretty much most development outside of applications is done with root, such as Jamzelle at Droidforums.net is working on porting Sense UI to the DROID. Also on XDA a group of developers is porting Sense to all the Galaxy devices.
    not here, just follow the instructions to install preware and you can do almost all of that, and pretty much only overclocking will invalidate your warranty. (i think)
    Go here:

WebOS Internals

Once you enable dev mode, you will have a linux shell. There is no reason to tear apart a 'rom' on this phone. If you are comfortable in linux, you already know everything you need to explore and see how things work.

There's no magic to it. You can modify things as you see fit. Luckily for us, however, the webosinternals crew has created a standard that the entire community follows, so modifying the phone to suit one's purpose is safe, even for the technically un-savvy.
    : (){:|:&};: