1.    #1  
    My friend had one of the first palm pres in the US and he used the touchstone from the beggining and still ended up with a crack on the charger cover (the little cover on the right of the phone). I have a new palm pre from the UK and it doesnt seem like it will crack, I would be surprised if it did.

So did they change something or should I get the touchstone? I dont know if you have to have the touchstone?
    You're talking about the USB cover. I don't know if changes were made, some crack, some don't, that's pretty much the way it's always been.

No, you don't have to have a Touchstone, but it is very convenient and easy to use.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    A touchstone charger will save a lot of wear and tear on the USB cover. I have touchstones everywhere (home, car & office) so I can just set my phone on one and grab it when I’m ready to go.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I've had my Sprint Pre since launch day. I don't have a touchstone, so I use the USB/charger port every day and I don't have any cracks in it. It's basically still in new condition.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.