Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Still something's off:

    If you use the Palm bypass tool to unlock your device, you get access to WiFi, but no FirstUse app. Any meta-doctor user would have mentioned having used that.
    You can use palm-launch to launch the firstuse app.

    -- Rod
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can use palm-launch to launch the firstuse app.

    -- Rod
    I think anyone knowing that, would leave less room for interpretation in his posts...
  3.    #23  
    hmmm, quite an interesting discussion, just when i was about to post a separate thread about activating it through firstuse app, after bypassing activation the palm way.

    I have installed Preware, then installed number of apps and patches, one namely Show First Use App. I was eager to complete the activation anyway to see how it fares and what Apps I will have in the AppCatalog, started the FirstApp but discarded it a few days ago (lack of time to do so, I was heading to work).

    So today I try to do it the following way:
    1. Switched language to German and setting to Germany
    2. Looked for the FirstApp which was previously in the app list. not there now

    unistalled and installed the patch at least a few times, same thing...missing.

    My question here is what would be the procedure to locate it and start it once again so I can complete the activation. Then we'll see what results this will fare in the App Catalog

    Any ideas?
  4. #24  
    Hey guys i have been reading this thread with interest and i have another ingredient to add i got a AT&T "blocked" Palm Pre with a rebel Sim Card working after doing the "bypass activation" and "meta-doctor" it (thanks for those valuable tools). And let me creates my Palm profile and i have access to the Apps catalog and i have purchased a lot of apps and i am at Dominican Republic. I got say, in honor of truth, the phone just works with Orange Sim Card (not with Claro) and in the last Meta-Doctor the digitizer stop working in some areas.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfreak View Post
    hmmm, quite an interesting discussion, just when i was about to post a separate thread about activating it through firstuse app, after bypassing activation the palm way.

    I have installed Preware, then installed number of apps and patches, one namely Show First Use App. I was eager to complete the activation anyway to see how it fares and what Apps I will have in the AppCatalog, started the FirstApp but discarded it a few days ago (lack of time to do so, I was heading to work).

    So today I try to do it the following way:
    1. Switched language to German and setting to Germany
    2. Looked for the FirstApp which was previously in the app list. not there now

    unistalled and installed the patch at least a few times, same thing...missing.

    My question here is what would be the procedure to locate it and start it once again so I can complete the activation. Then we'll see what results this will fare in the App Catalog

    Any ideas?
    The ShowFirstUse app in Preware only works for US English settings.
    Download webos quickinstall and I'll walk you through it, or create your own Meta-Doctor (see the relevant thread)
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jero3188 View Post
    Hey guys i have been reading this thread with interest and i have another ingredient to add i got a AT&T "blocked" Palm Pre with a rebel Sim Card working after doing the "bypass activation" and "meta-doctor" it (thanks for those valuable tools). And let me creates my Palm profile and i have access to the Apps catalog and i have purchased a lot of apps and i am at Dominican Republic. I got say, in honor of truth, the phone just works with Orange Sim Card (not with Claro) and in the last Meta-Doctor the digitizer stop working in some areas.
    Could you please explain in what way your situation is relevant?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? You tried to unlock your Pre Plus by entering 10 wrong codes, your modem got blocked, and you managed to use it with a Rebel Simcard?
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    The ShowFirstUse app in Preware only works for US English settings.
    Download webos quickinstall and I'll walk you through it, or create your own Meta-Doctor (see the relevant thread)
    Already got webOS quickinstall on my PC. I'm thinking on working on own Meta-Doctor version, to include the data settings for my GSM carrier, but I will need some help from a friend on this, since I don't have experience on this kind of edit.

    Should I wait to MetaDoctor it with German language and German regional settings, or just use FirstApp to do it now? Still unsure if it was previously activated in Germany by the retail vendor or not.

    Thanks in advance!
  8. #28  
    It's up to you. If you can play it safe and activate in an official launch country, do that.
    If you can't, it really doesn't matter which way you go. You'll only have access to free apps.
  9. #29  
    I have never before over the past 18 months encountered anyone able to create a device record as described without a SIM card inserted, but I cannot argue against such a possibility for actions performed with AT&T devices in the US.
    So, are you saying that my Pre has no device record? How do I purchase apps? How do I make phone calls? So, is my phone useless because I did not activate it with a SIM card? Wow, you guys are something else.

    rwhitby, I understand you are the creator of Meta-doctor. Thank you for the tool and contribution. I think you and I don't really disagree on things, although it seems you may be having difficulty coming to grips with contradictions to past assumptions. You, however, have not made outright false statements; some have. I am here to tell you, in the U.S. the SIM is not needed to activate the device and to buy apps from the App Catalog. I would be willing to bet, it works that way in other places as well. THE PHONE WAS ACTIVATED WITHOUT A SIM CARD. I HAVE DONE THIS ON MORE THAN ONE DEVICE. Just because Palm may collect the MNC/MCC for activation (or whatever we are going to call it) of the device, does not mean it is necessary. Like I said, it probably has more to do with other factors to determine App Catalog entitlement. Maybe matching the IMEI or such with the country for which it was intended? I certainly know about carrier agreements and such, however, that doesn't seem to have much to do with catalog entitlements.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 11/07/2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: personal attack
  10. #30  
    You've yet to explain what procedure you followed.
    You could have done that in your first post.
    Thanks in advance!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmdub View Post
    So, are you saying that my Pre has no device record? How do I purchase apps? How do I make phone calls? So, is my phone useless because I did not activate it with a SIM card?
    Actually, I've said none of those things.

    I've been talking about device record creation for devices outside of the US, where I have direct experience, and which is the topic of this thread (in which I'm not really sure why you are participating, since you have said that you do not have any experience with the situation that the original poster in the thread presents).

    You seem to be making global assumptions based on US experience only, and are dangerously confusing people trying to create device records outside of the US who can end up with an irrevocable situation where their device can never purchase apps as a result of your US-only suggestions.

    You and I have no disagreements because you are talking about things which have no relationship to the topic of this thread.

    -- Rod
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfreak View Post
    hmmm, quite an interesting discussion, just when i was about to post a separate thread about activating it through firstuse app, after bypassing activation the palm way.

    I have installed Preware, then installed number of apps and patches, one namely Show First Use App. I was eager to complete the activation anyway to see how it fares and what Apps I will have in the AppCatalog, started the FirstApp but discarded it a few days ago (lack of time to do so, I was heading to work).

    So today I try to do it the following way:
    1. Switched language to German and setting to Germany
    2. Looked for the FirstApp which was previously in the app list. not there now

    unistalled and installed the patch at least a few times, same thing...missing.

    My question here is what would be the procedure to locate it and start it once again so I can complete the activation. Then we'll see what results this will fare in the App Catalog

    Any ideas?
    You can use palm-launch to start the firstuse app, irrespective of whether it is visible or not.

    BTW, the latest MetaDoctor modfies the appinfo files for all languages in the doctor, so that the FirstUse app stays visible for all languages now.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by soulfreak View Post
    Already got webOS quickinstall on my PC. I'm thinking on working on own Meta-Doctor version, to include the data settings for my GSM carrier, but I will need some help from a friend on this, since I don't have experience on this kind of edit.
    Contact me about this first - I can likely just include whatever you work out into the MetaDoctor directly in a general way that everyone can use.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  14. #34  
    You've yet to explain what procedure you followed.
    You could have done that in your first post.
    Ok, fair enough. I bought the device. I doctored it with the tool Palm provides. Used Palm's activation bypass tool to bypass the first use app. Then I unlocked the device. At no point here was a network, carrier or otherwise involved up to this point. Then, and this is the important part that seems to confuse some of you, I proceeded to set up my WiFi connection without a SIM near the phone. Created a fresh Palm Profile and "activated" the device. Still no SIM in the device. Purchased apps from the catalog. No SIM needed. Now, if I desire, I can pop my SIM in the phone and use it just like any other smartphone, and still purchase apps.

    Now, does anyone care to explain the many blatantly false blanket assumptions in this thread? To this point, no one here has addressed any of the challenges to the "well, Palm collects this information, so it must be necessary for proper 'activation' mindset." Instead the issue has been obfuscated by talk of "launch countries", "carrier agreements", "device records" and such. Not saying these things do not exist, just that obfuscation is often associated with ignorance, which may be the blissful variety here. But hey, that's just my opinion.

    Yes, this thread started off about non-U.S. device/activation, however, some of the assumptions made here seemed to me to be made in reference to Pre devices in general, no matter where they are located. The same false assumptions have been made elsewhere here on this board about U.S. devices as well, just as they have been made here about non-U.S. devices/activation. Forgive me for stating an opinion where it perhaps did not belong. Sorry for hijacking the OP's thread. The Meta-doctor tool is a nice piece of work. I am sure it is appreciated. I certainly could not create it. In addition, I am sure the contributions from the members here are much appreciated and well intentioned. I certainly appreciate it. Fact remains though, we disagree, and that does not look likely to change. For the record, the only thing I am maintaining is that SIM's/carriers have little to do with activation of the device.
  15. #35  
    If you were to make a statement "that SIM's/carriers have little to do with activation of a third-party unlocked AT&T device in the US", then I would have no problem with that statement based on your observations. I have no experience with that specific situation myself, so your reported experience is as valid to me as the reports of anyone else.

    But when you extend that blanket statement to all webOS devices globally (as you have just done again in the last sentence of your last post with no direct evidence of your own on which to base such a blanket statement), I strongly repudiate it, based on my own personal evidence over a number of devices, and many other reports from people who's reports are as valid to me as yours are.

    If someone reads the last sentence of your post, and applies that to creating a device record outside of the US, they will end up with an irrevocably crippled device.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by kmdub View Post
    Ok, fair enough. I bought the device. I doctored it with the tool Palm provides. Used Palm's activation bypass tool to bypass the first use app. Then I unlocked the device. At no point here was a network, carrier or otherwise involved up to this point. Then, and this is the important part that seems to confuse some of you, I proceeded to set up my WiFi connection without a SIM near the phone. Created a fresh Palm Profile and "activated" the device. Still no SIM in the device. Purchased apps from the catalog. No SIM needed. Now, if I desire, I can pop my SIM in the phone and use it just like any other smartphone, and still purchase apps.
    Just to make sure we have all the related information about this procedure (so that it can be independently confirmed), how specifically did you create a fresh Palm Profile on that device which had been operated on by the Palm activation bypass tool?

    I am not arguing whether you did it or not, I just want to know which specific method you used.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Could you please explain in what way your situation is relevant?
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean? You tried to unlock your Pre Plus by entering 10 wrong codes, your modem got blocked, and you managed to use it with a Rebel Simcard?
    Dear Guy From Nam: first of all i have not entered 10 wrong codes and yes definitively it is "blocked" and i have not managed anything to use it with a RSC but the phone it is working. How? i donŽt really know.
    And it is relevant, for me,because i have my apps store working on a phone that it is supposed not to be working at all.
    I just want to say that despite all the good intentions and romanticism of those like me and you and many of the people that just gave to Palm the confidence vote in this. I just see how many tools and options an Iphone owner has even if the phone it is "blocked" at first and there are people working on develop ways to helps users. Not necessarily for them to earns a chunk of money.
    Personally i think if everything stays like it goes iŽll see android People and Iphone eating this project within a short time. It is just a humble point of view of someone that it is part of a free forum.
  18. #38  
    Jero, what I meant is it's not relevant to the discussion at hand.
    Of course it's interesting and I have even sent you a PM a few months ago, because I wanted to include your experience in the unlock sticky, but you never got back to me.
  19. #39  
    I am closing this thread because I am concerned that there will be confusion about which method to use.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions