Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well, my love affair with Palm from yesterday ended up being a one night stand.

I hooked my bluetooth headset up and guess what...static. It disconnects when I move 3 or 4 feet and when I stream music (my 2 Samsungs have that ability) it cuts out. I have to be sitting directly in front of it with a straight path to it or it disconnects. Both headsets do that. I restarted, I pulled the battery, I paired and unpaired both twice.

I called Palm as the bluetooth worked perfect before the earpiece repair. It does work on speaker or the wired headset that came with the phone. I spent an hour and a half on chat with a guy who linked me bluetooth instructions .. I read them its all that I told him I did. Then he tells me the headsets are not compatible with the Pre. Sends me a list. So I'm thinking I'll have to go buy another. Then I saw my Plantronics on the list! Yea! Tried it, same thing. I told him I couldn't tell him about the music since the Plantronics doesn't stream music but the call was static. He talks a bit and then says my Plantronics doesn't stream...duh I just said that. So he has me reboot so I did, same thing. Next he tells me I need to go buy another headset and try it. I asked if they will reimburse me if that doesn't work so he transfers me to a manager.

The manager gets on the line asks to have time to read the conversation so I said yes and that I'm very frustrated (in a nice way). Comes back, asks my version of the software then says he wants me to doctor it. Ok I'm at work, I can't do it. Yes I multi task - I was filing papers while I was waiting for responses which took 1 and 2 minutes or more each time. So I have to doctor when I get home.

I'm thinking when they repaired the earpiece something must have bumped or damaged the bluetooth. I am just so sad. I've had my phone since July 17 or 19, it's had problems since Oct 16. The recondition, refurbs whatever they call it (depends on who you talk to) have had awful keyboards, they say they have no new pres left to give me (I'm sure they just DON"T want to give me one...VZW).

I am seriously thinking of chucking it all in and going Droid. I have 16 months left on my contract and a phone that didn't even make it 3 months or 1 day after repair. I wish I had never upgraded. My LG ENV3 I used last week still works perfect and it's my original. I am just soo upset and unhappy. I don't think I can even say I love Palm anymore.
    Last edited by joliejolie0930; 11/04/2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    hmm, bluetooth works great for me. I hooe your love survives long enough to figure it out. You are so cute together.
  3.    #3  
    Well at least I can say he didn't cheat on me.....just not man enough to hold up his end of the bargain! LOL
    Jolie

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    It's a bit of a rant. I understand: you're venting.

The main take-away I got was you had an earpiece repair and subsequently your Bluetooth devices haven't behaved properly. Sounds as though you have a problem with Verizon's repair department not to mention their overall customer service.

You also seem to indicate you had the Pre from mid-July to mid-October without incident. You didn't mention why you had to have the earpiece replaced in the first place. Did it spontaneously combust? What?

And it also occurs to me, since you indicate owning the Pre since mid-July, that that is a very long "one-night-stand."

Must have been a hell of a night.

I would call Verizon's Customer Service department again and maybe talk to a supervisor and map out your experience. If you truly liked the Pre pre-earpiece problem (and subsequent Bluetooth problems), then you should consider trying to get some customer satisfaction from them before moving to a whole new platform.

My experience with most of these large companies is that your satisfaction totally depends on who you get on the phone - and that the quality of what you get depends largely on you and your ability to be patient, clear and concise, and most of all appreciative of the help they attempt to give you. You want to enlist their help in solving your problem, rather than demand that your problem be fixed. If you negotiate a bit it's possible to get some of these people to work FOR you instead of against you.

It just seems silly to go for an Android phone if you don't really want one.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/04/2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: critique of grammar deleted as unnecessary
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Just wow. Pretty much the Pre is the most unreliable smartphone out there. Anything else you choose will be a step up in terms of reliability. It's a nice phone but it just sucks that you wasted all that time messing around with something that should just work.
    I don't think the idea that "the Pre is the most unreliable smart-phone out there" holds any water.

All of these devices have issues from time to time.

And we should remember that the user often has some culpability when things break down; not always, but often.
    Mr. Happy, if my memory serves me correctly she returned her phone to Palm for repair. She had issues with the earpiece crackling and stuff and didn't want a refurbished one. She just got it back the other day from Palm from the repair hence the 'one night stand' comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by staeit View Post
    Just wow. Pretty much the Pre is the most unreliable smartphone out there. Anything else you choose will be a step up in terms of reliability. It's a nice phone but it just sucks that you wasted all that time messing around with something that should just work.
    I disagree with you. My Pre has been rock solid unless it was operator error on my part (it was replaced once due to my own fault).
    Same here. My Pre has been quite reliable.

However I did realize out of the box that it was not as rugged as my Treos - so I've treated it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly
    Mr. Happy, if my memory serves me correctly she returned her phone to Palm for repair. She had issues with the earpiece crackling and stuff and didn't want a refurbished one. She just got it back the other day from Palm from the repair hence the 'one night stand' comment.
    It sounds as though this is a serial you've been watching for a while. I just tuned in. Thanks for the clarification.

So the Palm techs let her down? That's disgraceful.

I'd take that up with Palm then, and not Verizon. No need for Palm to get away with shoddy work. A warranty repair should lead to an improvement in function, if not it's on them.

My main point about how to talk to these people still stands though. It's a negotiation and one in which the customer can solicit co-operation from the provider by expressing their appreciation of the product and the need for the customer service rep to aid them in the continued appreciation of it.

If you talk about how you like the product and really just want it to work well, it's hard for them to turn that away.

I've done pretty well at Sprint with this approach.
    Mr Happy, this forum and another forum I frequent have been my lifelines to keep boredom at bay this week.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    In truth, your first post is a little difficult to read, as it is a long run-on paragraph, with a few run-on sentences thrown in just to make it interesting.

It's a bit of a rant. I understand: you're venting.

The main take-away I got was you had an earpiece repair and subsequently your Bluetooth devices haven't behaved properly. Sounds as though you have a problem with Verizon's repair department not to mention their overall customer service.

You also seem to indicate you had the Pre from mid-July to mid-October without incident. You didn't mention why you had to have the earpiece replaced in the first place. Did it spontaneously combust? What?

And it also occurs to me, since you indicate owning the Pre since mid-July, that that is a very long "one-night-stand."
    Must have been a hell of a night.

I would call Verizon's Customer Service department again and maybe talk to a supervisor and map out your experience. If you truly liked the Pre pre-earpiece problem (and subsequent Bluetooth problems), then you should consider trying to get some customer satisfaction from them before moving to a whole new platform.

My experience with most of these large companies is that your satisfaction totally depends on who you get on the phone - and that the quality of what you get depends largely on you and your ability to be patient, clear and concise, and most of all appreciative of the help they attempt to give you. You want to enlist their help in solving your problem, rather than demand that your problem be fixed. If you negotiate a bit it's possible to get some of these people to work FOR you instead of against you.

It just seems silly to go for an Android phone if you don't really want one.
    Mr. Happy,
    Thanking you for pointing out that my post was difficult to read (I edited to make it better) and a bit of a rant. I apologize...I was in a hurry as it was almost time to leave work and I carpool. I was venting here but I assure you I was sweet as sugar to the rep on my chat with Palm. I kept a copy. I long ago found being sweet and nice gets you farther than being nasty and mean. Since you must have missed my other posts here's a short version.

My Pre has been perfect. I woke up Oct 16 and there was static when I make a call holding the phone to my ear. It worked fine with bluetooth or the speaker. I contacted Verizon (my LG ENV 1 had been replaced 4 times and I received decent phones, my ENV3 was never replaced) and they sent me a replacement...bad keyboard. I called and they sent me another...bad keyboard, that one I let my office try out along with mine so I could see if I'm being too picky. I wasn't. VZW did a 3 way call with Palm because I prefer to keep mine as it's in mint condition, never dropped, treated like a baby. Hence the repair. I received it back yesterday. Now the bluetooth doesn't work... That's my story.

When you kind of think about it it's a bit funny...when VZW sends out the refurb they make sure you understand that you must return your phone or the refurb in 10 days or you are charged retail which is in excess of $500 for the Pre. I have to laugh because either it's your broken phone or a refurb for $500....you bet people are going to return them in 10 days or at least I am. If I had $500+ to pay for my broken phone or a refurb I didn't plan on returning in 10 days I'd be out buying a new Pre 2 outright when available. I paid $49.99 for mine. My accessories cost more than the phone did. 5 touchstones, palm usb cords for 4 of them, 2 car chargers, 3 AGFindings cases that's one reason I hate to give up on Palm.

Off to call Palm and doctor the phone to see if that helps.
    Jolie

You didn't mention you were a VZW customer in the other thread. In that case, if you're still having problems with the Pre that make you want to go Droid, I suggest you wait it out for the Pre 2. It's supposed to come out any day now, and supposed to be much better than the Pre.

I hope my phone doesn't come back with some other random problem... If it does, I hope the reason why they didn't issue you a replacement is that you're a VZW customer, and that they give Sprint customers more love...
    No worries, joliejolie0930, understood. I wasn't sure if the hurried feel of your post was what the customer service rep was up against.

I see now that you're well within the bounds of sanity.

You were doing this on a chat, huh?

Hmm... Pros and cons there. I guess you end up with a record of what you said, but you do lose the personal interaction of speaking to someone. I think that's where I excel in negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930
    Off to calm Palm and doctor the phone to see if that helps.
    I'm not really a tech guy, but I suspect the physical nature of your repair is likely the source of your Bluetooth woes. It's worth a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You didn't mention you were a VZW customer in the other thread. In that case, if you're still having problems with the Pre that make you want to go Droid, I suggest you wait it out for the Pre 2. It's supposed to come out any day now, and supposed to be much better than the Pre.

I hope my phone doesn't come back with some other random problem... If it does, I hope the reason why they didn't issue you a replacement is that you're a VZW customer, and that they give Sprint customers more love...
    I hope your phone comes back to you in great condition. See, really I have bad luck....it's a black cloud always hanging over me. If there's going to be a problem or a lemon I will get it. I have been through 3 washing machines and the transmission has gone out of all 3 and the Maytag twice! All 3 different brands. My wall oven I purchased brand new 12 years ago and use rarely (I'm single) has quit working twice, my new water heater that ended up costing me almost $1000 because the plumber did some damage to my home and I was too nice to say anything, for the first year wouldn't stay lit, he put all new insides in it, same thing. He would come out and light it every 2 weeks (always a weekend go figure) and finally after a year and a half it stayed lit. I'm jinxed! LOL I'm sure you will have better luck.
    Jolie

15.    #15  
    No worries, joliejolie0930, understood. I wasn't sure if the hurried feel of your post was what the customer service rep was up against.

I see now that you're well within the bounds of sanity.

You were doing this on a chat, huh?

Hmm... Pros and cons there. I guess you end up with a record of what you said, but you do lose the personal interaction of speaking to someone. I think that's where I excel in negotiating.

I'm not really a tech guy, but I suspect the physical nature of your repair is likely the source of your Bluetooth woes. It's worth a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Well I was on a 3 way call with the first issue with Palm and VZW and the rep was nice and I ended up calling back 2 more times and those reps were nice. I read on here where others did the chat with good success so since I was at work I thought that would be easier than everyone hearing me in the cubicles near by, we are in cubicles like cattle stalls lol.

I don't think doctoring is going to help, the phone came back to me like new out of the box but they won't go further unless I do that. I truly believe something got bumped or damaged when fixing the ear piece but I'm not a tech. I just backed everything up and getting ready to chat. Wish me luck! I do love my Pre and can't wait for Webos 2.0 but I've been down all day about this. Just want a phone that works right. I treat this one like a baby.
    Jolie

I don't think the idea that "the Pre is the most unreliable smart-phone out there" holds any water.
    After 12 Palm Pres on a 4-line family plan in one year, I think that statement holds enough water for Phelps to teach his butterfly stroke. The Palm Pre, from a hardware point of view, is absolutely the worst device I've ever purchased.
    My launch day Verizon Pre Plus has been rock solid! I connect it with two Bluetooth devices (a Plantronics 222 and a Motorola MOTOROKR S9 Bluetooth Wireless Headset). The only issue I have had was my phone was locked in Headset mode for two days after unplugging the headset while my music was still playing.
    It sounds like you may have gotten a bad repair and you should be able to get Verizon or Palm to get your device corrected or repaired. I suggest that you print out this thread and send it to Verizon and Palm to see which one will respond to your needs.
    I wish you the best of luck and implore you not to give up on your Pre Plus just yet.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    Well I was on a 3 way call with the first issue with Palm and VZW and the rep was nice and I ended up calling back 2 more times and those reps were nice. I read on here where others did the chat with good success so since I was at work I thought that would be easier than everyone hearing me in the cubicles near by, we are in cubicles like cattle stalls lol.

I don't think doctoring is going to help, the phone came back to me like new out of the box but they won't go further unless I do that. I truly believe something got bumped or damaged when fixing the ear piece but I'm not a tech. I just backed everything up and getting ready to chat. Wish me luck! I do love my Pre and can't wait for Webos 2.0 but I've been down all day about this. Just want a phone that works right. I treat this one like a baby.
    JolieJolie... your news couldn't be better and your timing is PERFECT! You just don't realize it yet. No new Pre's on VZW is awesome for you. The Pre 2 is going to hit VZW and it will be a much better build than even your current Pre Plus. Just call them, be nice, get a supervisor and let them know you will be happy to keep your current broken Pre Plus until they Pre 2 comes out if they will simply upgrade you for free. If the supervisor doesn't do it then get in touch with customer retention. That should be a no brainer for them.

I wish I were in your shoe's. Right now I have no immediate hope with Sprint.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    After 12 Palm Pres on a 4-line family plan in one year, I think that statement holds enough water for Phelps to teach his butterfly stroke. The Palm Pre, from a hardware point of view, is absolutely the worst device I've ever purchased.
    You must be on Sprint. The Pre Plus has been far more solid than the original Pre. I'm not at 12 yet but probably at 7 or 8 (I lost count). The great thing is that I still love the phone and haven't lost any data in the swapouts. The other great thing is that Sprint has replaced everyone without question and hasn't cost me a penny.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    You must be on Sprint. The Pre Plus has been far more solid than the original Pre. I'm not at 12 yet but probably at 7 or 8 (I lost count). The great thing is that I still love the phone and haven't lost any data in the swapouts. The other great thing is that Sprint has replaced everyone without question and hasn't cost me a penny.
    Yes Sir. Sprint here. It got to the point were I was spending too much time visiting a Sprint store to get the thing replaced. They never gave me any problems replacing any of them. I gave up after #6. Unfortunately, the rest of my family is not up for upgrades yet so they are still doing the replacement thing. I place the blame squarely on Palm's shoulders. Sprint has been good to me. They even gave me some service credit for my troubles with the Pre when I got rid of it. It's good that the Pre Plus has been better but that does nothing for me nor for my family.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast