Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    I currently have a env touch but and looking to get a palm pre plus in the next few weeks I can afford the $15 150mb but am unable to afford the $30 data. How hard would it be to keep it under 150mb.

P.S. I am in college and my University has wifi throughout the campus and in the dorms/apartments so ill be on wifi most the time anyways.
    Just think of overage charges, which would be considerably more than the flat rate of $30 a month. As long as you are in the wifi areas no problem. What about when you leave campus? Play it safe. Though that may be VZW's wish. Making it seem like unlimited data at $30 is worth it over the pathetic $15 data plan. Wow, thanks VZW for regulating yourself.

Get an app called Netstat. I use that to monitor my data usage. Since the new usage cycle I have used 972 mb on 3g alone and 663 gb on wifi.
    You should be okay if you aren't getting tons of emails or streaming off of wi-fi. I'm a fairly heavy user, get lots of emails from three accounts, but don't do a lot of streaming and I use a lot of data on wi-fi but also plenty on 3G. I use about 200mb per month. However, you can easily keep track of your data usage on your verizonwireless website. I think their 150mb plan for $15 is a pretty hot deal!
    wifi usage does not effect the cost of data usage. They are completely different . Wifi is free.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    VZW's $15 for 150MB data plan, which is for celluar data only - not WiFi, is a joke!! I could go through 150MB in less than a day!

It all depends on your usage, but for a device that is connected to the cloud all the time like the Palm Pre, it is going to be difficult. If you can find a way, you should just spring for the unlimited plan.
    I suggest you try the $30 plan for the first month just to see your usage safely. Then downgrade as needed.

my wife has the env touch. Trust me when I say you have been living in a dark world without knowing it. Run toward the light, as paradise awaits.

just keep the 3g radio off and do all your major downloading (and lurking on this forum) on wifi.

after a month, you will download less and have a chance to see your usage.

welcome to webOS!
    I only have access to WiFi at school, Monday thru Thursday.

All other times I'm on 3G. I go anywhere between 4-6GB a month.
    I can be done, but you have to be very careful. The chief danger is that the phone won't really tell you when you are on WiFi vs Cell. In other words, if you think you're on WiFi, but the signal drops for some reason, the phone will switch to 3G without telling you and you're on the hook for that data.
    Quote Originally Posted by monosolodoc View Post
    ... and 663 gb on wifi.
    Got to be a typo. Even if you were downloading 24/7 I think this would not be possible...
    my billing cycle resets on the 20th just checked it yesterday and I've used 1.2gb in only14 days. I only check fb, a couple forums, and dl a few apps on preware. I'd just go with the 30 plan and not have to worry
    get netstat app from home brew and check while on the $30 plan for the first month. I typically use ~300 Mb and I have wifi nearly everywhere I spend a lot of time at.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    If I understand you correctly, you don't yet have a Pre? If so, then I recommend going the route suggested by some other posters: get the Pre and get the $30/mo plan for the first month to be safe. Track your consumption of data for 15 or 20 days (try to use the phone in as "normal" a way as you can) and you should be able to extrapolate how much data you would likely be pulling from the network in a typical month. At that point, you'll still probably be within the trial period for the phone, so you can then choose between three options:

1) keep the Pre and stick with the $30/mo data plan
    2) keep the Pre and downgrade to the 150MB plan
    3) return the Pre and hold off on becoming an owner of a cloud-centric device until you've got more room in your budget

...for real, man, these things suck up a lot of zeroes and ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Got to be a typo. Even if you were downloading 24/7 I think this would not be possible...
    Not a typo. I think when I installed ZumoDrive there was problems with downloading Ironman 2 onto my Pre+ and somehow kept trying to re-download over and over. Once it resolved itself I promptly synced an Indiana Jones movie to my phone. No problems since. Weird.

Anyways, this is a perfect example of why one would want the unlimited data plan over the limited one. You can not really know what your phone is up to when you are going about you business. Thank goodness I was using wifi. Could you imagine the overage charges if you had a limited plan and was using 3g the whole time?

Is there a way to post a screenshot of it on this thread with the mobile site?
    Last edited by monosolodoc; 11/05/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    WebOS is the most data inefficient mobile OS - I had an iPhone for almost 3 years and I averaged ~60MB / month (very infrequent email/google maps user), and also in wifi range most of the time. I'm using the Palm Pre now in the same environment and it eats up 60MB in less than 4 days! WebOS seems to use unnecessary data calls in the background - They should've made it more efficient as far as data use, especially with these carriers moving towards tiered data plans.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Even if Wi-Fi is your modus operandi I still recommend the Unlimited plan. I have a friend on AT&T with an iPhone who runs around nearly paranoid about going over with her data--and she gets 50 more MB per month. Really try for unlimited if possible.
    Suggestion: Mode Switcher. Make it turn off 3g, except when you actually want to be using it, and have it turn off mobile data entirely when you're at your school.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info guys, this is a great forum and this was very helpful thanks for all the quick replies I will try it out on the unlimited for now. Thanks and I am buying used and switching from a Env Touch will i still get the hotspots for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw3wags View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, this is a great forum and this was very helpful thanks for all the quick replies I will try it out on the unlimited for now. Thanks and I am buying used and switching from a Env Touch will i still get the hotspots for free?
    You should be able to.