1.    #1  
    I've heard of phones with FM transmitters built in and the ability to play music (such as pandora) wirelessly through the car speakers using the radio. Is this possible for the palm pre? I would like to play pandora through my car speakers with my palm pre but I don't have an aux input, I just have a cd player.
    +1
    I haven't heard of phones having this built in, but I think there was a Billy Mays product a while back that lets you hear your phone using your car stereo. Can't remember what it was called, but I think it was on an episode of his show on the Discovery Channel.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    There were a few LG phones that have that feature (the Chocolate 3 comes to mind), but alas, the Pre and Pre+ aren't capable since you have to have hardware to do so.

There are FM transmitters that you can plug into the headset jack though. Monster makes one that used be sold at the Shack. Don't know if it's still available.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I haven't heard of phones having this built in, but I think there was a Billy Mays product a while back that lets you hear your phone using your car stereo. Can't remember what it was called, but I think it was on an episode of his show on the Discovery Channel.
    You're talking about the , or is only meant for hands-free phone calls. You can see th commercial above and there are reviews of it all over YouTube.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/03/2010 at 11:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    This is what I use, and I love it. Had it for about 6 months and it preforms very well for both hands-free calling, and streaming audio.
    Jabra Cruiser Review - Headsets - CNET Reviews
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    @drew3sbs on twitter
    I use RadioPlay™ 300 it works well for me.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I have heard of several that have used the Pre's bluetooth to transmit music to a compatible car stereo. I do not know how that is done nor what stereos are compatible with this feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huff View Post
    I have heard of several that have used the Pre's bluetooth to transmit music to a compatible car stereo. I do not know how that is done nor what stereos are compatible with this feature.
    There is a current thread about this taking place right now:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2744675
    many newer autos have BT buit into the sound system.
    I stream my Pre to my motorcycle helmet via BT as well.
    My old Sprint LG X550 Fusic had that feature but couldn't do Pandra...you need to purchase a fm transmitter like this.

Amazon.com: Monster RadioPlay 300 Universal Full Spectrum FM Transmitter (MBL-FM XMTR300): Electronics
    I have a bluetooth carkit which also has a builtin FM transmitter. Great for streaming audio from the Pre to the car's radio.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    You can buy an external FM transmitter. A better option, if you have a cassette deck, is a casette adapter. The Pre does not have an FM transmitter built in. With a more advanced head unit, however, you could certainly use A2DP to send wirelessly to your car. So, you can go the cheap route with a external transmitter or casette adapter, or just replace your head unit with something that has aux, or better yet, bluetooth with A2DP.

As others stated above, there is a third option, which is to get an external hands free kit. If you are going to do that, though, you might as well just get a nicer head unit.
    : (){:|:&};:
    I used to use a cassette adapter and that worked really well because the output was through my car speakers and the phone knew to use it's own mic for input.

However, that was been borked in recent updates, so I've transitioned to using a bluetooth speakerphone which has an fm transmitter in it. (Jabra SP700) This works out well now because my pre has been having the headset problem lately, so I try not to plug anything into the 3.5mm jack.

The bluetooth speakerphone works really well in terms of transmission strength as well as sound quality. (Although it adds a little bass to make up for some loss of clarity) Also, I like that this method works in every car, not just ones with a tape player.
    I highly recommend buying a FM transmitter with bluetooth. I bought one about for months ago from dealextreme.com. It plugs into the cigarette light and immediately when my car turns on it syncs up with my Pre and all I have to do is open up music player remix and set my phone on the touchstone and I'm jamming. T

he transmitter also has pause, last and next controls so I dont even have to touch my phone if I dont want to. Calls go instantly to my car's stereo. Also great if Im waiting in my car for my girlfriend to get ready(takes forever), just open up youtube or AngryBirds and I get to hear it play crisp and full of bass over my cars audio system.
  16.    #16  
    Thanks for all the help guys. I'll probably end up getting the Jupiter Jack or something. I was just hoping it would be built in and you need a homebrew app or something but if it is just as simple as getting an adapter then I think that fine too. Thanks for the advice guys.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    The Jupiter Jack works with my Pre. The sounds not all that great from my car speakers via the Jupiter Jacj but since my car is old with no audio jack this is the best I can do. It works.