1.    #1  
    Why is it such a hassle? I was on the phone last night and got a notification that my battery was getting low and needed to be recharged. So, right away I throw it on the Touchstone and it instantly hangs up the call and powers down. It remained powered down for about 30 minutes, so I couldn't even finish the call. It finally powered itself back on much too late to call the person back.

So, here's my question: Why can't the Pre/Plus operate off the charger when the battery is dead? Every other cell phone I've ever owned could do it. Every laptop computer I've ever owned could do it. Heck, I took the battery out of my laptop the other night and used it while it was plugged up to the charger.

And why does it take SO doggone long for the phone to power back on once the battery dies? This is my 2nd Pre Plus and both have done the same thing. It'd be a good Snickers commercial: have a Pre user sitting there waiting on their phone to power back on while recharging..."Not going anywhere for a while?".
    annoying, yes. Worst feature, not so much.

actually, it sounds like your battery is wearing out - as all batteries eventually do. It shouldn't die that quickly after notifying you. Try dr battery to calibrate, and then plan on buying the mugen 1400 battery to help mitigate the issue by having a nice new battery with higher capacity.

mine just recently did what yours did, and dr battery is telling me the capacity is diminished. Recalibration helped a little.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 11/01/2010 at 08:16 AM.
  3.    #3  
    My battery life is very good actually. I've never really had problems with it running low. Just used my phone heavier than usual yesterday I suppose.
    but that warning should happen early enough for you to get it on a charger before it dies. That last warning is intended to happen with enough time left for an intelligent shutdown or for charging to start. If it dies that quickly, it tells me the phone thinks it has more juice left than it does, which is a callibration issue.

of course having gps, bluetooth, 3g and wifi running all at once will also increase drain rate.
    It all depend on the life of your battery. Maybe you waited too long to put the phone on charge. You mention 30mins for your phone to start charging.. that's doesn't seem normal, it usually take around 10mins or less depending on your battery > the charging process depends on the capacity of battery life ~remember.. that the phone need the battery to operate it, and at the same time the charger is trying to charge the battery. You might wanna replace that battery.

Good luck.
  6.    #6  
    hmmm...i'll give the calibration a shot then. thanks for the tip.

any thoughts on why it can't run right off the charger?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    hmmm...i'll give the calibration a shot then. thanks for the tip.

any thoughts on why it can't run right
    off the charger?
    I would think that that's just how the functionality works between the charger and the phone.(I guess)

regards,

[i]--Sent from my pre2
    When I put my pre plus on the touchstone during a phone call it switches to a speaker phone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Think it's faster if you first plug the Pre into the charger without the battery (it'll display the Battery Question Mark), then plug the battery in.

You may want to invest in a broken Pre as a charger and a second battery... that's what I'm doing with my Broken Screen Bad ESN Verizon Pre Minus. I have more than enough battery life with my 5 batteries.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    as a battery saving feature the pre doesn't let your battery fully drain. So when your phone dies it chargers it past a certain point to optimize battery life. It most likely doesn't let you turn it right back on after you finished charging in order to charge it faster. The pre has a huge drain when on so if you turned it right back on when you put it on a charger then talked for another 30 min and took the phone off the charger and say went out your phone would prbably die within 10 since it couldn't charge enough while you were talking and charging. Also the pre charger being 1 amp charges very quickly when on standby/off and I believe Palm thought it would charge fast enough not to be annoy even though it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Why is it such a hassle? I was on the phone last night and got a notification that my battery was getting low and needed to be recharged. So, right away I throw it on the Touchstone and it instantly hangs up the call and powers down. It remained powered down for about 30 minutes, so I couldn't even finish the call. It finally powered itself back on much too late to call the person back.

So, here's my question: Why can't the Pre/Plus operate off the charger when the battery is dead? Every other cell phone I've ever owned could do it. Every laptop computer I've ever owned could do it. Heck, I took the battery out of my laptop the other night and used it while it was plugged up to the charger.

And why does it take SO doggone long for the phone to power back on once the battery dies? This is my 2nd Pre Plus and both have done the same thing. It'd be a good Snickers commercial: have a Pre user sitting there waiting on their phone to power back on while recharging..."Not going anywhere for a while?".
    Back on topic ...

2 things...
    the Pre/Pixi require at least 5% battery charge to power up from a dead state.
    And

For some reason the touchstone takes longer to get a phone from a completely dead state to 5% charged.

Why these points are true I don't know...

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    but that warning should happen early enough for you to get it on a charger before it dies. That last warning is intended to happen with enough time left for an intelligent shutdown or for charging to start. If it dies that quickly, it tells me the phone thinks it has more juice left than it does, which is a callibration issue.

of course having gps, bluetooth, 3g and wifi running all at once will also increase drain rate.
    Yep, but getting to that last warning also means you have ignored the warnings at 20%, 10%, and 5%.

I have calibrated my battery with Dr. Battery (unfortunately it says my health is down to 81%) and ever since that I have gotten amazing time with 0% battery remaining. Just last week I was able to surf for 10 minutes before it finally died. Two weeks ago I had it in my case for a 45 minute drive in airplane mode on 0%.

So, I think the biggest thing is calibration. It won't give you anymore actual battery life, but the battery meter will much more accurately depict how much life remaining you have.
    How do you calibrate the battery? Never done this before. Mine is starting to die faster all of the sudden.
    Search for Dr.Battery in preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    Search for Dr.Battery in preware.
    or click on his signature
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Lol: But you can't install it from there ;-)
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You may want to invest in a broken Pre as a charger and a second battery... that's what I'm doing with my Broken Screen Bad ESN Verizon Pre Minus. I have more than enough battery life with my 5 batteries.
    Off topic but i seen this, it might be cheaper.

Amazon.com: for Palm Pre PLUS Pixi Standard Battery AC Wall Charger: Electronics