Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center

Just wondering why use the metadoctor when palm gives easy directions to bypass carrier activation and let you use your phone in developer mode?
    Thanks,
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Because if you use the palm method, you dont get access to your profile, app catalog, update app, and other things. meta doctor is by far a better tool.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks- just looking it over and it seems pretty difficult to do
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    Not true. Use the palm app, then install preware and the patch to show the first use app. Run that and sign into profile.
    There was no palm app before, so that metadoctor was the only option.
    but it still can't make calls?
  6.    #6  
    will try that. That is easy!! Hope it works!
    without a carrier service agreement you will never be able to make calls .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    It's very easy and it works, I did it a couple of days ago on a sprint pre with a bad esn that someone sold me on ebay. PM me if you need help. Don't forget to sign into wifi ;-)

@ chalx
    You should be able to make calls if it's a gsm pre plus and you have a working sim.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/30/2010 at 09:53 PM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by maajka View Post
    Not true. Use the palm app, then install preware and the patch to show the first use app. Run that and sign into profile.
    There was no palm app before, so that metadoctor was the only option.
    Hmm. Never thought of that...
    think Garrett think ! You can do it !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i have german o2 pre- but using it in unsupported country, so I cant use gprs to activate (no carrier profiles in fresh firmware instalation, and I can't approach Pre from desktop to insert edited carrier db while proces of activation is engaged). I was using metadoctor and its not a problem, but this Palm's way is faster.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    think Garrett think ! You can do it !!
    thinking is hard...
  13.    #13  
    But i have a pixi that I am using currently so signing into multiple profiles is a problem. I cant do it
    Last edited by stu5797; 10/30/2010 at 06:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    without a carrier service agreement you will never be able to make calls .
    That is only the case for CDMA phones. For GSM phones, you just need a prepaid sim card which has no relationship to the actual phone you use.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center

Just wondering why use the metadoctor when palm gives easy directions to bypass carrier activation and let you use your phone in developer mode?
    Thanks,
    If Palm's bypass tool does everything that you need to do, then I would definitely recommend using it.

The carrier bypass functionality of MetaDoctor is a *very* small part of it's overall functionality, but happens to be the part that the majority of people require (until they desire comms board swaps or keyboard swaps or model bypass or custom tarballs or preloaded wifi profiles or automatic Preware installation including testing feeds, etc. etc.).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Rod, if someone uses Palm's bypass tool, unhides the First Use app, and signs in to their existing Palm Profile, would there still be any limitations (like App Catalog access, OTA updates, etc...)?

I only use MetaDoctor to bypass the First Use app whenever I need to Doctor my Pre with no service contract until I can turn on the wifi to sign it...

<edit> Oh, just saw your last post lol. I guess I really don't need MetaDoctor at this point in time. I never thought to use the Palm tool and just unhide the First Use app... Good information to know though!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Rod, if someone uses Palm's bypass tool, unhides the First Use app, and signs in to their existing Palm Profile, would there still be any limitations (like App Catalog access, OTA updates, etc...)?
    No idea, I've never used it. The thought of a freshly flashed device that doesn't automatically have my wifi profiles and Preware installed on it is abhorrent to me

-- Rod
  18.    #18  
    Rod, when flashed it does not automatically have preware on it but it takes 1 minute to install it.
    Donation sent
    I just tried it and it worked great! At least I can play around with the new toy until I start installing Preware and all the other good stuff! Big thanks!
  20.    #20  
    did you use the directions from palm or metadoctor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast