1.    #1  
    I finally decided to access the USB drive today on my replacement Pre to copy some files over (I have never copied files TO the Pre). halfway through (Just small pictures), it stops, and can no longer access the drive. Thinking it was my computer, I "safely remove"d the hardware, then tried again. Same thing, different place. I checked all the photos to make sure they weren't corrupt (it happens). Same thing. I restarted both. Same thing. Then I tried to run scandisk. I realize this is a Linux device. The Scandisk could not complete, even on basic mode (no checkboxes). My first thought was having to go through a full erase all over again, but that may not be enough. Has anyone run across this before? Thanks in advance.
    I saw a couple of similar complaints before.
    The usual successions are: Use original USB cable, try different USB ports, try different PC's/MAC's.
    Personally never had this problem.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Thanks, but as I said, I wasn't trying to recover anything. I was trying to copy files TO the pre

As it is, I still deserve some "I told ya so's" or a bonk on the head. I discovered the problem, and it relates back to one from long ago. The USB drive doesn't like being rooted, and always performed flaky when connected like this. I didn't have a Pre or the guts to do this back then, however, it would seem that having the thing in Developer Mode results in the same flaky performance. Turn it off, restart, works wonderfully now.

Commence the laughing and throwing of various vegetables!
    Quote Originally Posted by copasetic View Post
    ... having the thing in Developer Mode results in the same flaky performance. Turn it off, restart, works wonderfully now.
    Thanks, never heard this. Good to know.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Originally Posted by copasetic:
    ... having the thing in Developer Mode results in the same flaky performance. Turn it off, restart, works wonderfully now.

I believe the restart was what did the trick. I keep developer mode on all the times >never stop me from downloading files to my pre.
    Well, I have been told more than once that dev mode all the time is (or may one day be?) a security risk. Also, since I had restarted my PrPrPr&#$275$; $twice$ $already$ $this$ $doesn$'$t$ $make$ $sense$, $really$, $at$ $least$ $to$ $me$. $I$ $may$ $go$ $back$ $to$ $DM$ $to$ $see$, $but$ $since$ $everything$ $is$ $where$ $I$ $like$ $it$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $guess$ $I$ $need$ $it$. $Either$ $way$ $this$ $deserves$ $some$ $research$
    Last edited by copasetic; 11/01/2010 at 04:57 AM.
    I concur with Rush, I forget all the time to change my devmode off and there are times when I could have left it on for a month or more, and didn't really notice the difference(not saying there isn't one), and I have read elsewhere what you said about a security risk. But really, is it? in the end all that matters is you're back to normal I've never seen my phone stop in the middle of transfer and lose the device. Possibly it could be the cord itself, maybe you have an old cord with a kink in it that might have continuity most of the time but if it bends the right way, breaks the signal? I have a feeling my cord is on the verge of that right now(gotta love those ends they put on, no give whatsoever between the plug and wire).
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I concur with Rush, I forget all the time to change my devmode off and there are times when I could have left it on for a month or more, and didn't really notice the difference(not saying there isn't one), and I have read elsewhere what you said about a security risk. But really, is it? in the end all that matters is you're back to normal I've never seen my phone stop in the middle of transfer and lose the device. Possibly it could be the cord itself, maybe you have an old cord with a kink in it that might have continuity most of the time but if it bends the right way, breaks the signal? I have a feeling my cord is on the verge of that right now(gotta love those ends they put on, no give whatsoever between the plug and wire).
    No problem, and no offense intended. I will never be a self made pundit (we have too many already). Thanks for ya'll's help. I've seen a few posts with similar issues, not exactly the same tho. I tried all my cords and ports and cannot get the problem to come back *shrug* :-S