Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pgerbino View Post
    Out of 16 open polls, this one has three times the vote of the next closest poll. And four times the comments. It is time for Sprint to listen. Sprint created this groundswell and better not ignore it. Sprint started us off with WebOS and built an enthusiastic user base, and that user base is responding to their question. It would be a shame if they do not build on this opportunity. Otherwise, why ask the question.
    Well said

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Does anyone remember the sweet 16 polls they did where the Palm Pre Plus won over every other phone?

Does anyone remember how Webos' marketshare has been cut in half since then?

Online polls...in most settings... are one of the most meaningless ways of collecting data ever.

I'm going to guarantee you that this poll was merely to make Sprint customers think that they have a say in what Sprint does.

Ya know how Sprint determines the answer to this question?
    By what platform is selling best on their network...and others' networks.

While I love Webos and obviously you guys do as well...you have to understand that this poll is nothing but a farce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Does anyone remember the sweet 16 polls they did where the Palm Pre Plus won over every other phone?

Does anyone remember how Webos' marketshare has been cut in half since then?

Online polls...in most settings... are one of the most meaningless ways of collecting data ever.

I'm going to guarantee you that this poll was merely to make Sprint customers think that they have a say in what Sprint does.

Ya know how Sprint determines the answer to this question?
    By what platform is selling best on their network...and others' networks.

While I love Webos and obviously you guys do as well...you have to understand that this poll is nothing but a farce.
    I disagree! There are many people who bought an Android phone and they will be buying a WebOS phone if HP Palm makes one that has all the hardware specs or more than let's say an EVO. So sales don't say much about the future, however, these polls say a lot more in terms of what Sprint customers really want and not what they currently use.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I disagree! There are many people who bought an Android phone and they will be buying a WebOS phone if HP Palm makes one that has all the hardware specs or more than let's say an EVO. So sales don't say much about the future, however, these polls say a lot more in terms of what Sprint customers really want and not what they currently use.
    Respectfully,
    You like what the poll says so you support it.

Sprint has 48.8 million subscribers. ]Sprint’s wireless growth surges; loss leaps - MarketWatch

This poll has around 4000 votes..from what I remember [the site won't load].

That is around .001% of Sprint customers.

EVEN IF the poll got up to 40,000 votes...it would still be .01% of Sprint customers.

How many of those votes are from this site?
    [Probably a very high percentage. This thread has been viewed 2,263 times. If we said half of those times it was a unique person voting...that would mean 25% of just this threads viewers voted. Not counting people that come here and also go to that forum and thus saw it without seeing this thread nor counting people that saw the article on the precentral front page. If someone said 50 -75% of the votes on that poll were generated from this site it wouldn't surprise me a bit.]

It is, with all due respect, meaningless.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 11/01/2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Respectfully,
    You like what the poll says so you support it.

Sprint has 48.8 million subscribers. ]Sprint’s wireless growth surges; loss leaps - MarketWatch

This poll has around 4000 votes..from what I remember [the site won't load].

That is around .001% of Sprint customers.

EVEN IF the poll got up to 40,000 votes...it would still be .01% of Sprint customers.

How many of those votes are from this site?[Probably a very high percentage]

It is, with all due respect, meaningless.
    You are forgetting that out of those 48 million subscribers only less than 20% are smartphone subscribers. So, that leaves us with less than 9 million subscribers. At the same time, when you do statistics you don't have to get everybody's votes to make a poll valid. You get a fair amount of people and count their votes. So the longer this poll is open the more significant the numbers are. That is the reason why all of us Sprint users need to vote on this poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    You are forgetting that out of those 48 million subscribers only less than 20% are smartphone subscribers. So, that leaves us with less than 9 million subscribers. At the same time, when you do statistics you don't have to get everybody's votes to make a poll valid. You get a fair amount of people and count their votes. So the longer this poll is open the more significant the numbers are. That is the reason why all of us Sprint users need to vote on this poll.
    I edited the post so I'm gonna add the edits here:

How many of those votes are from this site?
    [Probably a very high percentage. This thread has been viewed 2,263 times. If we said half of those times it was a unique person voting...that would mean 25% of just this threads viewers voted. Not counting people that come here and also go to that forum and thus saw it without seeing this thread nor counting people that saw the article on the precentral front page. If someone said 50 -75% of the votes on that poll were generated from this site it wouldn't surprise me a bit.]

Even if it's only "9 million" that apply.. it would still only be 0.044%.

Still insignificant.

Moreover, being as by next year the estimate is 1 in every 2 Americans will be a smartphone user...we have to look at future numbers too. http://gigaom.com/2010/03/26/1-in-2-...hristmas-2011/
    Since Sprint is asking about the future.
    I think Mattykinsx and TreoRock are both wrong.

This poll is neither meaningless nor all meaningful. Of the two, it is probably closer to meaniningless, but not nearly so to make it insignificant.

Neither Sprint, nor any other company, would base their entire strategy off a tiny little internet poll. Still, they (in the form of a site admin) are asking. If they weren't interested in the answer then why would they ask the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Kernel View Post
    If they weren't interested in the answer then why would they ask the question?
    Because of what I said.

It's the psychology behind asking. Not actually the question being asked.
    my thing is web os got this poll on lock,,, btw we at 58%, Let see what sprint will do,,,,,,, im not happy with them right now
    Dear Mattykinsx,

How familiar are you with polling and research? National election polls use as little as 1,000 to project a national. Here are a sample of polls projecting across many more people than Sprint has subscribers:

President Obama Job Approval
    Poll - Sample Size
    Gallup - 1,547
    Rasmussen Reports - 1,500
    Reuters/Ipsos - 1,075
    NBC News/Wall St. Jrnl - 1,000
    CNN/Opinion Research - 1,006
    FOX News - 1,200
    ABC News/Wash Post - 1,202

If those sample sizes are good enough for polling experts then I think we can agree 4,300 is a good sample size for a much smaller universe of people.

Second, I believe the poll was limited to Sprint subscribers and you needed an a Sprint account to vote. Anyone could comment. While not scientific, it is significant.

So, I believe you should concede these points and give this poll much more credibility than you have.

What say you?
    Dear Mattykinsx,

How familiar are you with polling and research? National election polls use as little as 1,000 to project a national. Here are a sample of polls projecting across many more people than Sprint has subscribers:

Poll - Sample Size
    Gallup - 1,547
    Reuters/Ipsos - 1,075
    FOX News - 1,200

If those sample sizes are good enough for polling experts then I think we can agree 4,300 is a good sample size for a much smaller universe of people.

Second, I believe the poll was limited to Sprint subscribers and you needed an a Sprint account to vote. Anyone could comment. While not scientific, it is significant.

So, I believe you should concede these points and give this poll much more credibility than you have.

What say you?
    The news polls are based on randomly drawn samples and are probably stratified to ensure a certain level of participation by various age, gender and race profiles. In contrast the sprint poll response is a biased subset of sprint owners (biased as opposed to random -- no reflection on those who have responded). The results of the sprint poll reflect the opinions of those who replied and it would be useless to try to generalize from them.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The news polls are based on randomly drawn samples and are probably stratified to ensure a certain level of participation by various age, gender and race profiles. In contrast the sprint poll response is a biased subset of sprint owners (biased as opposed to random -- no reflection on those who have responded). The results of the sprint poll reflect the opinions of those who replied and it would be useless to try to generalize from them.
    bevcraw, Your points are good. As I said, not scientific but you can draw some significant information from this type of polling.
    Dear Mattykinsx,

Poll - Sample Size
    Gallup - 1,547
    Reuters/Ipsos - 1,075
    FOX News - 1,200

What say you?
    Do you understand what I said?
    I estimated that around 50% (if not 75%) of the people that have voted are very likely from this site.
    Via this thread that has been viewed 2599 times, people who frequent both sites, and people that saw the Precentral article...those estimates are quite accurate.

That is artificial inflation of the poll.

If any of those companies, that runs the polls you mention, went to do a poll and said "let's ask all democrats what they think of Obama" and then said "well, Obama's approval rating is 90%" is it accurate?
    No.

If the XDA forums made a push for everyone to go vote, like Precentral does, it would wipe the floor with Webos in this poll. [The XDA forum has more active members now than members this site has total. They have 7 times the members Precentral has total]
    But they don't care.
    They're too busy developing for their platform than worrying about some poll that is irrelevant.

But that is all besides the point.

The fact is...the polls you're talking about are done in a scientific manner.
    They don't just allow anyone to vote in them.
    They take specific sets of people from all types of backgrounds.

Although there are people that still don't like polling and polling has been wrong before. Plenty of examples of that.

You have to understand, the poll says what you want it to say so you're supporting it.

The Palm Pre Plus won in that little NCAA mock up.
    The Palm Pre Plus sold less than the Palm Pre.
    See?

Moreover, webos and the Pre(s) win every online poll.

Following what you're saying, the market share should be increasing for Webos and certainly be over Android, right?
    I mean...Webos kills Android in every online poll I've seen.
    Well, Let's see:

What was Palm's market share when the Pre was released? 7%
    What is it now? Around 4% and falling
    Do you know what Android's market share was when the Pre was release? Around 5%
    What is it now? Around 20% and rising significantly

That speaks louder than ANY online poll.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 11/02/2010 at 04:42 PM.
    Deff WebOS. It has the most potential.
    @Mattykinsx There are 2 things that you are disregarding

7% market share in 2009 and 4% market share in 2010 does NOT mean they LOST customers they could (in fact I believe they did) gain more users during this time. Smartphone adaptation was very high during this time.

WebOS is not getting a lot of share because of a number of reasons. The the last phone that was introduced with webOS was released in January of this year does not help matters much. Compare that to other OSes in the market Android gets 2-3 new phones every other week. iPhone gets a new phone ever year but it has other stuff being released every 3 months with news interspersed every other month (iphone in June released July, ipods in Sep released October, Macs in Nov released in December, ipad in Jan released in March). This pretty much keeps them in the news all year round.

Masses have a very very short attention span.

The second thing that you overlooked was the fact that android central had a similar thread/blog post to change the poll in their favor. Android was at 8% at one point.

I also disagree with your insinuation that the poll is somehow biased because it is open only to Sprint users. I mean it is a SPRINT poll on SPRINT COMMUNITY forum. It is very relevant to Sprint. Although I agree that it is probably being used to placate the consumers and will achieve nothing.
    Seems to be slowing down...

Android: 39%

webOS: 57%

BB: 1%

WP7: 3%

Total Votes: 4,579
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    @Mattykinsx I also disagree with your insinuation that the poll is somehow biased because it is open only to Sprint users. I mean it is a SPRINT poll on SPRINT COMMUNITY forum. It is very relevant to Sprint. Although I agree that it is probably being used to placate the consumers and will achieve nothing.
    Actually you don't need to be a Sprint user to sign up, just need to give them a valid email address. Perhaps this changed from at first but as many email addresses as you have is how many votes you can have.

And like I said above, good chance that it was put there to get us off of facebook, but still worth voting IMO, just don't stop pestering them otherwise as well!
    Last edited by midmofan; 11/08/2010 at 05:33 PM.
    SPRINT SHOULD FOCUS ON A PHONE THAT SUPPORTS PDF FILES. Guess that leaves Palm phones in the garbage!!!!
    I'm not sure how much mind they are going to pay this poll, but they should pay attention. They should be pressing HP Palm to churn out a killer phone to push out. If they put some kickass hardware to go with the OS, you are looking at it being the best phone out there! Period.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I'm not sure how much mind they are going to pay this poll, but they should pay attention. They should be pressing HP Palm to churn out a killer phone to push out. If they put some kickass hardware to go with the OS, you are looking at it being the best phone out there! Period.
    As we have seen for a year and a half, the best phones don't always resonate with the user base. I think Sprint has finally given up on webOS.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast