1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have two Touchstones and one works fine but the other does not. They both vibrate when putting it on the charger, they both show the lightning bolt and both have the clock display while on the Touchstone, but one just does NOT charge the phone.

What's up with that?

Thanks
    Curtis
    Last edited by cloudyifr; 10/28/2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudyifr View Post
    Hello,

I have two Touchstones and one works fine but the other does not. They both vibrate when putting it on the charger, they both show the lightning bolt and both have the clock display while on the Touchstone, but one just does charge the phone.

What's up with that?

Thanks
    Curtis
    I can only assume that "does" actually should be "doesn't" in your post. If that is the case and you are saying one TS charges the phone and the other TS acts like it is charging but doesn't then here are a couple of questions...

1. Are you using the OEM Palm USB A/C adapter?

2. Are you using the OEM Palm USB cable?

3. For the one that DOESN"T charge, have you tried connecting the USB cable plugged into the TS directly to your USB port on your Pre? If so, does it actually charge that way.

If you can answer yes to all three questions then you just have a defective TS. Take it into your local Sprint store (or wherever you purchased it) and see if they will replace it. If they won't then call Palm Support and see what they will do for you. Make sure and describe the steps you took in troubleshooting the problem.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  3.    #3  
    Thanks.

Looks like it's the cable. They say it's an OEM Palm cable, it looks just like one but....it will charge when plugged in the side of the phone but not when plugged in the Touchstone. The second cable I have works fine in either Touchstone. Weird.

Thanks
    Curtis
    Thanks.

Looks like it's the cable. They say it's an OEM Palm cable, it looks just like one but....it will charge when plugged in the side of the phone but not when plugged in the Touchstone. The second cable I have works fine in either Touchstone. Weird.

Thanks
    Curtis
    So one cable works and charges with both TS and the other cable doesn't charge with with either TS?

If so it's definitely the cable.

Double check to make sure the suspect cable is seated fully into the TS before buying a replacement. You can find them on Amazon and Buy.com fairly cheap.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    So one cable works and charges with both TS and the other cable doesn't charge with with either TS?

If so it's definitely the cable.

Double check to make sure the suspect cable is seated fully into the TS before buying a replacement. You can find them on Amazon and Buy.com fairly cheap.
    Yes, the one cable chargers on neither TS.

I'll stay away from Amazon and Buy.com as the first cable came with the phone and works great, and the look alike that supposed to be OEM came from Amazon and does not work.

So I'll go see what the local Verizon store can offer me.

Thanks
    Curtis

PS Why will it work in the phone but not in the Touchstone? Electronics sure can be finicky sometimes!
    Yes, the one cable chargers on neither TS.

I'll stay away from Amazon and Buy.com as the first cable came with the phone and works great, and the look alike that supposed to be OEM came from Amazon and does not work.

So I'll go see what the local Verizon store can offer me.

Thanks
    Curtis

PS Why will it work in the phone but not in the Touchstone? Electronics sure can be finicky sometimes!
    It could be as simple as a partially damaged wire internally that is crushed or crimped such that it creates more resistance than should be present. Especially since it powers the TS and charges the phone directly but just doesn't provide enough power to actually charge with the TS. I have seen similar symptoms when using a non OEM A/C adapter, it will power the TS but will either not charge the phone or will cycle as if it is going on and off. It is the result of not being able to sustain a high enough mA level for charging.