1.    #1  
    I need to 'doctor' my phone but first I need to figure out how to backup the SMS/Text messages and call log. Backing up SMS/Txt Messages is more important for me. I have searched and spent a lot of time going through several threads but they all seem to contradict each other and it's not clear which is the best and most reliable way to do this.

So what is the simplest way to back up SMS/Text Messages and the Call log?

Thanks.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I don't know something about call log but SMS/Text messaging you can backup: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-phones.html. AfaikAfaikAfaik $it$'$s$ $only$ $safe$ $to$ $do$ $on$ $the$ $same$ $phone$ $and$ $same$ $OS$ $version$.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you.

Last edited by NachoB; 10/28/2010 at 06:34 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I don't know something about call log but SMS/Text messaging you can backup: [url] AfaikAfaikAfaik $it$'$s$ $only$ $safe$ $to$ $do$ $on$ $the$ $same$ $phone$ $and$ $same$ $OS$ $version$.
    I've tested this out before and strange things happen, even on the same phone/OS version, so I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/28/2010 at 06:35 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  6.    #7  
    I thought save/restore could not back up sms/txt msgs and call logs.

It backs up SMS, but can't restore them.
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    It backs up SMS, but can't restore them.
    That is funny. lol But don't you think a backup that cannot be restored is not much of a backup.

They're backed up in html format, which you can copy off your Pre and view locally on a computer. It's formatted nicely. They just won't be on your Pre anymore. That's the best anyone can come up with at the moment because of how complex palmdatabase.db3 is at storing this information.
    Last edited by NachoB; 10/29/2010 at 04:32 PM.
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    They're backed up in html format, which you can copy off your Pre and view locally on a computer. It's formatted nicely. They just won't be on your Pre anymore. That's the best anyone can come up with at the moment because of how complex plamdatabase.db3 is at storing this information.
    Thanks. That does make the backup useful in the absence of a reliable method of backing up and restoring.
    It is a shame that Palm has ignored such an important and rather basic feature. Call logs and sms/txt messages should have been save under seperate files in webOS, which would have allowed a simple backup/restore procedure. I am sure there are lot's of people who will continue to avoid webOS simply for this reason alone.

Kelly dreams of the day they put a lock feature as well as keeping it date stampped for her SMS messages. (Sigh) Like my old samsung instinct had. LOL