1.    #1  
    Hello all!

just as the title asks, is all i'm wondering.
    (Phone->Preferences->Data Usage Toggle)

Cheers!
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    absolutely!!!!!! You will get days on a charged battery with the data connection off.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    absolutely!!!!!! You will get days on a charged battery with the data connection off.
    Really? I turned mine off last night, when I started at school (6:30A.M.) I had 100%, with heavy Music Player (Remix) usage by the end of the day (6:00P.M.) I had ~63%. Is this acceptable?

Also: does a low/no signal effect how fast the battery drains?

Cheers!
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedthebassist View Post
    Really? I turned mine off last night, when I started at school (6:30A.M.) I had 100%, with heavy Music Player (Remix) usage by the end of the day (6:00P.M.) I had ~63%. Is this acceptable?

Also: does a low/no signal effect how fast the battery drains?

Cheers!
    ~Ted
    An area which has very low/no signal will affect how fast your battery drain as your pre will constantly be searching for network. My school is almost a completely dead zone for me, only a few places will i get signal. What i do is put my phone is airplane mode when in school. When i get in an area with signal or if i am done school i will pull it out of airplane mode. Once reconnected you will receive all your texts, e-mails, voicemails, etc. This has saved me a huge amount of battery drain
    yes, if data was on I would guess your battery would be dead. Anytime your phone is struggling to kep a signal its using more juice.

when I said "it will last for days" that was assuming no data connection and limited phone use.
    any time I have wifi, I turn off data and it makes a big difference!
    Here is a thread that can help you out. I use it daily.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...you-think.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think data is turned off automatically when connected to wifi. I don't make any changes myself and I notice an improvement when I'm on wifi.

When I'm in a low signal area, I turn off data but leave the phone on. Text messages will still come through since they come over the phone connection, but I don't get emails or internet which isn't a big deal when I'm in this particular low signal area. I do notice a difference in the battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krab19 View Post
    An area which has very low/no signal will affect how fast your battery drain as your pre will constantly be searching for network. My school is almost a completely dead zone for me, only a few places will i get signal. What i do is put my phone is airplane mode when in school. When i get in an area with signal or if i am done school i will pull it out of airplane mode. Once reconnected you will receive all your texts, e-mails, voicemails, etc. This has saved me a huge amount of battery drain
    Wow, so the best way to conserve battery is to turn off all he features you need in a phone..... The battery industry really needs to catch up and fast!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Wow, so the best way to conserve battery is to turn off all he features you need in a phone..... The battery industry really needs to catch up and fast!
    This is more his providers fault (low coverage) than the phone or its battery. Although I agree with your conclusion, the portable energy industry need to get down on the research for a more energy density.

Turning GPS off is probably the second best thing you can do to conserve battery. There's a patch that turns it on/off based on the programs that are begin opened.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    liberate yourself.

don't be a slave to your phone. turn everything on. turn on gps, bluetooth, location service, background data collection, wifi, etc. max the screen brightness. overclock it. don't worry about the battery. just have a charger at home, one in your car, one at work, and you can even carry an extra battery or portable charger in your pocket or jacket. whenever that little plastic dohickey by palm needs a charge, just plug it in.

you control the phone, not the other way around. get the most out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Any time you have wifi, data turns off automatically.

The best battery savings I got was when I turned the screen brightness down to 15%. It is still plenty bright for all but direct sunlight, and my phone will easily last me a day with normal usage and streaming Pandora over EVDO for a bit.
    Data in my area is very inconsistent, and so my battery life doubles when I turn it off, unless needed.

To the user who was using music player... it seems everything fun is illegal, immoral, fattening or eats batter life! Music, video, surfing the web on WiFi, using a BlueTooth headset, you name it, it just sucks the life out of your phone. Even spending a small amount of time moving apps around and reconfiguring your layout is very power intensive. But, I did find that basic calling, texting, quick email checks and some brief web surfing can still give me about 30 hours of battery life.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    when your data is off, on sprint atleast, no mms will come thru
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Night and day difference. It's great for weekends when you're away from charging sources and probably don't care about checking your email and being leashed to the cloud anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi-emu View Post
    when your data is off, on sprint atleast, no mms will come thru
    Well, I'm not certain about text messages with pictures, etc... but regular text messages come through fine if data is turned off.

>>>>> when your data is off, on sprint at least, no mms will come thru
    Quote Originally Posted by COS777 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think data is turned off automatically when connected to wifi. I don't make any changes myself and I notice an improvement when I'm on wifi.

When I'm in a low signal area, I turn off data but leave the phone on. Text messages will still come through since they come over the phone connection, but I don't get emails or internet which isn't a big deal when I'm in this particular low signal area. I do notice a difference in the battery life.
    Data is still on since you can still receive mms with wifi on unless you turn of data urself.
    Right, with wifi turned on, data still working, but wifi is first connection device. I can go through day with heavy phone ussage when 2G is turned on, data turned off and WiFi turned on few times on 5 to 10 minutes.
    I do hate turning off data for some reason. But, considering that we are advised to turn off WiFi, BlueTooth and GPS unless needed, and set email for manual download in order to preserve battery life, it doesn't seem to matter much if data is off until we need it. And considering that my data fluctuates from EVDO to 1xRT to nothing and back again, very quickly (not bad for Baltimore, the flagship 3G AND 4G city), I can eat my battery in under 12 hours with data on full time. But, I easily hit 30 hours if I turn it on only as-needed. I also credit using Govnah in On Demand mode with 125/1GHZ settings and adjusted core voltages for helping to preserve my battery life.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me