Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    My Pre crashed while downloading a new game today.

When it finally restarted all apps were gone. All Homebrew, Preware everything.

When I opened the App Catalog, and hit the "shopping cart" icon, all apps I had ever bought or downloaded, (over one hundred), were gone as well. The only app it lists is the failed download of the game I was trying to download when the Pre crashed.

Themes and some patches still work, but everything else, mode switcher, Preware, Internalz, Uberkernal, Govnah, Save/Restore are all gone.

I'm screwed, right?

At this point, if I have to start all over from scratch and restore this phone again, I may just give up.

...i just don't have the time. this is SO frustrating. ...my dad died last night, and the last thing I needed was to have the phone crap-out. I just can't deal with this phone being flaky again...

I just wanted a little distraction, so I downloaded that new Tom Clancy game... the phone crashed, and now is wiped of all installed apps and patches... if only it had a SD card like the old Treos... then everything WOULD be backed-up.
    I'm sorry about your loss, and I hope you and your family will be ok during this time. Losing a loved one is always difficult, but I can not begin to imagine the pain in losing a parent.

Your Pre problem must not be helping your current situation either but it should be relatively easy to put back right. I think the easiest and most convenient long term solution is to doctor and then restore it. I will run through the steps that I use when I doctor: (Make sure you know your profile email address before proceeding)

1)Download the doctor Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

2)Charge your pre to a nearly full charge

3)Follow the instructions to doctor: How To Recover - WebOS Internals

4)After doctoring, turn your pre back on. Go through the language selection and enter your profile, select what acounts you want to sync

5)While that is all syncing, plug the pre back into the pc and install Preware. Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

6)From Preware install save/restore

7)From save/restore restore preware

8)Preware saved package list, hit to install all your patches and HB apps.

9)Restore the rest of your apps with save/restore

I know right now you probably don't want to be told, by someone on a forum, to be patient and take your time with the process. But so long as you follow those steps correctly and take your time then you will have your phone back up in a reasonable time.

Pip
    well you can either do a partial erase to get your apps back or ( hopefully you have the back up app turned on) a full erase will work too .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Hey, thank's for the kind words.

It's been a heck of a day, to say the least, and the last thing I have the patience for is to try and restore this phone, right now.

I'd try a partial erase, but, right now the phone works, the call log, texts and email are all still intact, so, to get through the next few days, I'll just leave it be. With my luck, I'd lose all texts and photos, (including the last one of my dad, I took before he slipped into a coma last week - I'm uploading the pics now, so I won't lose them.)

Thanks again. When I have a little more emotional control, (and time), I'll give the restoring route a try. On the other hand, I may also use this Sprint upgrade, which has been burning a hole in my pocket since June, and give the Epic a try this winter. ...I DO miss Audible. Heck, if I had an Audible app on my Pre, I probably wouldn't have been trying to download that stupid game in the first place, and wouldn't be in this situation.
    partial erase only erases the patches apps part of the phone the usb drive is not touched . i hope everything works out for you sir !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    partial erase only erases the patches apps part of the phone the usb drive is not touched . i hope everything works out for you sir !!
    A partial erase would remove patches, wouldn't it?

Right now, most patches are still working, and although I'd love the apps to be back, if it's at the expense of Ubercalendar and the like, I'd just as soon wait until I have the time to Doctor and Restore...
    ok thats fine , just sayin ! hey im christian and i will throw in some prayer for you tonight !! take it easy man !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    A partial erase would remove patches, wouldn't it?

Right now, most patches are still working, and although I'd love the apps to be back, if it's at the expense of Ubercalendar and the like, I'd just as soon wait until I have the time to Doctor and Restore...
    No partial erase will not remove the patches but they will be put them in an untouchable state, your apps will be redownloaded after a partial erase so that's probable your best option right now, considering its simplicity.
    Also, neither partial erase nor doctor should touch your usb drive so that should be safe. And there should be a html file in the save/restore folder witha copy of your sms that you can read in a browser.

And a bit of retail therapy might be good at this moment. It might be a welcome distractions to parts of your day.

Pip
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    untouchable, but use-able? awesome! ;-)

But, I'd still lose my texts threads, and I need them right now, at least for the next few days, just too much going on... same with the browser, I've saved a few links I need to be able to access again, and wouldn't want that data to be lost yet either.

drat, I was hoping to have some of those apps back, but better safe than sorry.

UK, huh? ... anywhere near Henley-On-Thames? I spent a month there back in 1976, racing in the Henley Royal Regatta

...even met, (bumped into, really), George Harrison in front of the Horse & Groom Pub. ...what a nice guy.
    the reconstruction patch fixes that issue with whatever patches that dont get erased .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Should I turn off the Palm backup, now? I'm worried now that all the apps are gone , will the next backup create a backup of the current state of the Pre - which is app-less?

I have a feeling, I will lose the hundreds of dollars in apps I've bought over the last year, if it backs-up the pre in it's wiped state.

Why isn't there a restore option in the Palm back-up app? What good is a back-up feature if there isn't a restore option?

...and how good is a back-up option that deletes all call logs and text treads etc.? IMO, a lousy one - thanks Palm, if it turns out everything is lost today when the Pre backs-up at around 12:30pm, (why I can't CHOOSE when the Pre backs-up is insane, as well.), I'm giving up on this thing...

jeeze, it's 3 in the morning and I'm screwing with this stupid phone... it really may be time to
    "cut my losses" with this thing and move on...
    sorry about your loss. this happened to me the other night when trying to download an app off the market. signed me out of my palm profile and jacked my pre up. the only way is to doctor it and start fresh. took me a long time but i think it was worth it.

the pre needs a good backup solution like android has. back the entire system image up and restore it if need be, that's one feature i love.
    Henley is just outside london yeah. I think I was out near that place playing rugby not so long ago. I also think one of my friends was looking at living near there but I'm not all that sure.

Turning off the back up will delete your current saved profile so don't do that.
    I should hope that when you do are ready to do the partial erase then it will restore your apps with it. However if it does a back of your non app state then you can just contact Hardbeatz and ask him to put your profile back to an older state that did have all your apps in it.

Pip
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post

...even met, (bumped into, really), George Harrison in front of the Horse & Groom Pub. ...what a nice guy.
    he's dead...
    same issue happened to me trying to download and install HAWX. Ended up doctoring last night, reinstall prewae and all patches etc.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Thanks again. I've got a couple hours today, so here goes nothing... ;-)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    he's dead...
    he wasn't in 1976. (sigh) ...there's one in every crowd.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    same issue happened to me trying to download and install HAWX. Ended up doctoring last night, reinstall prewae and all patches etc.
    ...never got the stupid game downloaded, but I sure got the email from Palm confirming I paid for it! ;-)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Henley is just outside london yeah. I think I was out near that place playing rugby not so long ago. I also think one of my friends was looking at living near there but I'm not all that sure.

Turning off the back up will delete your current saved profile so don't do that.
    I should hope that when you do are ready to do the partial erase then it will restore your apps with it. However if it does a back of your non app state then you can just contact Hardbeatz and ask him to put your profile back to an older state that did have all your apps in it.

Pip
    Well, I attempted to doctor, and although it appeared to have worked, after logging onto my Palm Profile, all apps failed to download. When I tried to download them one at a time, they fail to install, w/ a message that the disk was full and to delete some apps to make room. (there are no apps installed!). Device info says I have 3G available... ...which also, doesn't seem right as I just Doctored, and only have a gig of music and maybe another gig of pics and videos loaded - but, even so, I should be able to load apps into thee 3 gigs that IS available, shouldn't I?

So, I'm guessing the disk is corrupted. So, I also guess, means I have to get yet another replacement. (4th in 3 months) unless anyone has any other ideas on salvaging this Pre... should I try doctoring again, (another hour or two down the tubes...), or is this Pre "toast"?

If it is indeed dead, I'm going to replace it, so I have a working Pre, but then I'm going to deactivate it, and try out an Epic. I know, and have read, that it won't be prefect, but, it can't be worse than having to replace the phone 4 times in 2 months, each time losing , information, and more importantly, time

Un Themed and Patched, the Pre is a lousy phone, Patched and Themed it is awesome. But, I just don't have the time to re-build it every time it breaks or crashes