1.    #1  
    At some point over the summer my launch day sprint Pre started behaving oddly and I started to have issues with regards to the audio on my pre.

The speaker on the back of the phone no longer works for games and music but it does work for speaker phone, alarms, notifications, and ring-tones.

How could it emit noise from a song as a ring tone but not any other way?

The ear whole speaker stop working as well. So now I am forced to make any via speaker phone or with a headset.

I flashed the entire phone with webos DR after the most recent update didnt fix any thing and the flashing didn't fix anything.

Because the speaker works that makes me think it is not a hardware issue, because the complete flashing of the OS didnt fix anything makes me think it is a hardware issue.
    I am confused.

Any ideas to what happened or how I can fix said problem.

I unfortunately don't have insurance because I didn't I tried to sign up for it within 30 days of purchasing.
    don't bring it back to the store. All you have to do is plug in some headphones, play a song with the music player and pause the song, then pull out the headphones. Your phone is stuck in headset mode. This releases it. Or you can make a call with head set plugged in and while connected on the call, unplug the headset.
  3.    #3  
    Stuck in headset mode??? even after I downloaded an complete OS update from sprint and then wiped the entire phone with a webos doctor flash??

That seems hard to believe but I will try it.
    Well believe it. Many many threads/posts on the matter.
    You can run the quick test, and interactive test in device menu to see if there is a problem with the device. Device menu > more info > preference.

Note: Since you don't have any insurance, you would have to pay for any repairs, or replacement from your subscriber. If you're still within your 1yr warranty.. You could contact Hp/palm for a replacement.
    Ahh yes the headset mode problem. This can be either a hardware of software problem. From the sounds of it you have the hardware issue. Bring it back and get it repaired.

But if you do wish to try and fix it yourself, then try the following, it is what has worked for me:

-take a paperclip and bend it so you have a straight end.
    -call your voicemail and notice that it shows the headset icon
    -with the striaghtened paperclip, you want to put it into the headphone jack. There is a small "switch" on the right side of the headphone jack (this is assuming that the screen is facing you)
    -play around with the switch and when you see the headset icon disappear and the phone icon appear you know you have disabled the headset mode.

Hope that helps
    I took a qtip pulled most of the cotton off so it would fin, used some denatured alcohol (ever so little) and with the battery out I just wiped the headset jack out and twisted the qtip in there and it's worked perfect ever since

good luck
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    OMG Thank you SO much!

I have tried everything else and my phone has been stuck in headset mode for nearly a year.

Thanks to your suggestion, I am now listening to Pandora on speaker for the first time in nearly a year and can make phone calls using the regular handset speaker!

Now I can go back to using my bluetooth stereo headset! Wooo-hoo!!!

Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by spartca View Post
    OMG Thank you SO much!

I have tried everything else and my phone has been stuck in headset mode for nearly a year.

Thanks to your suggestion, I am now listening to Pandora on speaker for the first time in nearly a year and can make phone calls using the regular handset speaker!

Now I can go back to using my bluetooth stereo headset! Wooo-hoo!!!

Awesome!
    I am assuming you are reffering to my post, due to the thanks :P.

Anytime my pre loving friend!

I took me a good 3 months to figure this out, so it is not as bad as your year in headset mode, but i still feel your pain.
    Yes, your Pre is "stuck in the headset mode."

I read about cleaning the headset hole on PreCentral.

I went to a "Dollar" store and purchased a package of smaller Qtip-type cotton swabs. The stem on the smaller swab fits perfectly into the headset hole. A regular Qtip can be used by removing some of the cotton.

Applied a very small amount of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to the swab and cleaned the headset hole.

You can see the difference in sizes of cotton swabs:

I probably repeat the cleaning procedure once a month, and every time the swab shows the dirt that is removed. If you look closely, you can see the top end of the smaller swab is dirty from the cleaning. Or, click on the link below for a picture of the last cleaning I did recently.
    u drop or something like that? might be dammaged.
    i droped my "htc" (POS) and it messed up the jack quite a bit
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Well believe it. Many many threads/posts on the matter.
    WOW
    You sir are correct. I have been using my phone in this mode since July and yesterday was the first day I was able to play angry birds with music on my palm sans headset.

I tried pulling the phone jack out in a few different scenarios and none of them helped but I did clean it out with a q-tip and was able to jerk it out of that state! (i think once on a voicemail call, and once in the phone system settings volume mode)

Amazing!
    But unfortunately it keeps going back into it the headphone state. Once when I never even plugged in my headset. After my phone lapsed back into the headphone state I managed to get it out another time, launched angry birds to hear the lovely music play. I let it play and did some errands around the house and some how at some point it went back to headphone state without me even putting the headphone jack into it.

Hmmm

Well thanks for the help. At least I know there is some hope but I would guess I have a worn out headphone jack problems since I have used my headphones several times a day every day since June 6th 2009.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlordsSon View Post
    u drop or something like that? might be dammaged.
    It has been dropped a few times, but these drops came long before my headphone speaker problems started.

In full discloser the problems started when the phone over heated in the sun in my car but since then it has made a full comeback (at times).