1.    #1  
    I'm taking my Pre- in for repairs again after the phone continues to have the static problem. If I move the slider some, the static clears.

Last time, the tech said the earpiece speaker was fried and replaced it. Now, the speaker cuts out randomly unless I press on the phone to the right of the speaker location.

Other issues that have popped up since repair, the phone always opens the contact info of the person I am on a call with and the screen has stopped coming back on if I move the phone away from my ear.

So much for a repair.

My question is, if I am granted a refurb phone (you can never tell with Sprint), what is the process besides copying over the USB portion of the phone and adding the palm profile? Does everything else transfer with the palm profile?

Thanks in advance.
    My 3 month old Pre Plus is being shipped to Palm today to repair the ear piece for static. The 2 refurbs Verizon sent had unacceptable keyboards. I did hook my Pre up to my computer as USB and copied my music and photos over to a folder there, any folders I put on the Pre. My contacts I emailed just in case they don't come back from my Palm Profile. I did work with the tech from Palm on the phone and we did do a reset and it erased my apps, contacts, photos etc and they came back with my profile but I'm just being double sure I keep everything. It did erase my texts forever tho.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Use the save/restore app before you send it in or you'll lose all saved data from third-party apps along with a few other things....
  4.    #4  
    Save/Restore App? Is that anything like the Backup App or is there a seperate app that I should be looking for? Sorry for the ignorance, but I've not had a problem with my Pre until now. Part of me just says to get a bluetooth headset and wait it out until the new Sprint superphone gets here.
    Save/Restore is located in Preware.
  6.    #6  
    Well, the Sprint tech looked at it for all of 3 minutes and said "The only thing we can do for you is replace it, but it will cost you $35." After arguing with the in-store rep, the store manager, going home and arguing with tech support and the tech support superviser, my replacement Pre is on its way, free of charge.

The $35 fee is a new thing that Sprint apparently put in place this past week for all warranty exchanges. I finally got the supervisor to realize that this issue was ongoing before the new policy and, if anything, their attempted repair made things worse.

Hopefully, the refurbed phone is okay. If not, we'll have to go through all this again.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by rburtz View Post
    Well, the Sprint tech looked at it for all of 3 minutes and said "The only thing we can do for you is replace it, but it will cost you $35." After arguing with the in-store rep, the store manager, going home and arguing with tech support and the tech support superviser, my replacement Pre is on its way, free of charge.

The $35 fee is a new thing that Sprint apparently put in place this past week for all warranty exchanges. I finally got the supervisor to realize that this issue was ongoing before the new policy and, if anything, their attempted repair made things worse.

Hopefully, the refurbed phone is okay. If not, we'll have to go through all this again.

I hope you get a good refurbished! I know how you feel. I spent hours last night and this morning on the phone with VZW and Palm hoping I have everything remedy now. I also did some tweets to VZW support.
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
  8.    #8  
    Refurb phone should be delivered in the next hour or two (normal UPS delivery time). I've seen some things that I need to be on the look out for with refurbs like:

- stuck keyboard keys
    - slider issues
    - GPS not functioning
    - display out of focus
    - touchscreen not functioning properly

Anything else I need to look at before accepting the refurb?
  9.    #9  
    Just a final note, only one small issue with the refurb phone. When the slider is shut, the bottom right corner doesn't quite sit right, allowing it to catch a little. If that is the only problem, I can live with it for 4 or 5 months until the new Sprint WebOS phones come out.

Restore went pretty smooth too.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Refurb phone should be delivered in the next hour or two (normal UPS delivery time). I've seen some things that I need to be on the look out for with refurbs like:

- stuck keyboard keys
    - slider issues
    - GPS not functioning
    - display out of focus
    - touchscreen not functioning properly

Anything else I need to look at before accepting the refurb?

overclock with uberkernel to 1ghz to make sure you have a stable chuck norris phone, and not a wimpy one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    oh, and $35 for a warranty exchange? That's crazy! Sprint users should be screaming about that.

I have insurance on m
    y vzw pre+, and they only charge $50
    for non-warranty replacment if it's
    completely my fault.

I've never had to even pay shipping for a warranty replacement. I'd switch carriers over a crazy policy like that..

just sayin
    Sprint do carry a better package deal for their customers than the other companies. So, I guess they make up for that.
    Sprint doesn't charge for warranty exchanges. I got mine attempted repair and then replaced under warranty for no cost. My husband ran over his (well someone did when it fell into the street) wtih Verizon and it cost him $80 with his insurance.
    Last edited by cowgirlupkelly; 11/01/2010 at 12:34 PM.
  13.    #13  
    According to in-store and on-the-phone Sprint reps, this is a new policy that went into effect on October 23rd. I think that it is a bad policy myself, but I argued around it, this time. I won't leave Sprint over it (plan pricing is too good), but I won't be making any recommendations to friends and colleagues anymore either.
    wow, charging for a warranty replacement. I'd change carriers over that. I'm amazed they can even get away with that.

have you looked at your contract and the warranty language that came with your phone?
  15.    #15  
    They said that to avoid the charge, talk to HP.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts

THIS is why im glad i have VZW. It may cost more but the service is usually extraordinary.