Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I figure since all who owns a Sprint Pre or Pre+ should be able to buy it for $100 without this impacting your upgrade status, or get it as a replacement when your current phone has to be replaced. This would create more users of the reworked hardware and 2.0, and began to eliminate what has been a sore spot for Palm....bad hardware with super slow responsiveness, etc of the software.

If this were the case and everything checks out A-Ok with the Pre 2, current users would find it ok to recommend a webOS phone without having to explain all the pros/cons and Precentral....although Precentral is always a good reference....thoughts.
    Should HP? no, Should Sprint? probably not, should Verizon? maybe, the GPS has never worked properly on the Verizon Pre,
    The reason for the GPS not working on the Verizon Pre is software based, not hardware, it's the part of the software that each carrier controls for their network. Verizon strangled it so they could sell their Navigator service.

If they can re-code the old Pre Pluses they should at least cycle those in place of the old Pre minuses that are taken in for replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I figure since all who owns a Sprint Pre or Pre+ should be able to buy it for $100 without this impacting your upgrade status, or get it as a replacement when your current phone has to be replaced. This would create more users of the reworked hardware and 2.0, and began to eliminate what has been a sore spot for Palm....bad hardware with super slow responsiveness, etc of the software.

If this were the case and everything checks out A-Ok with the Pre 2, current users would find it ok to recommend a webOS phone without having to explain all the pros/cons and Precentral....although Precentral is always a good reference....thoughts.
    If a CDMA Pre 2 could be purchased directly from HP and activated on your choice of carriers, that would be great. Unfortunately, I think the carriers have the final say on this and I don't see it happening. That's a shame.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Even though it is a software issue, will it be resolved with Webos 2.0 on the Pre Pluses?

Will the same problem exist on Webos 2 on the Pre 2?

I realize no one has the answer to those questions, but if the GPS does not work correctly on the Pre Plus (after upgrade to webos 2), and does on the Pre 2, then shouldn't the Pre 2 be looked at as a fix for the GPS issue?
    As nice as that would be, I gotta say, I'll have some of what you're having I think that would set an all new precedent that's never been heard of before, especially since HP bought out Palm. It's not really their fault that Palm had so many issues with the Pre. Maybe if we were shareholders or something of that nature. Not saying I wouldn't take a new pre2 for an exchange + small fee, but wishful thinking at best
    Quote Originally Posted by wingsnut25 View Post
    Even though it is a software issue, will it be resolved with Webos 2.0 on the Pre Pluses?

Will the same problem exist on Webos 2 on the Pre 2?

I realize no one has the answer to those questions, but if the GPS does not work correctly on the Pre Plus (after upgrade to webos 2), and does on the Pre 2, then shouldn't the Pre 2 be looked at as a fix for the GPS issue?
    it's a verizon-wants-to-cripple-webos issue. I havnt heard of the problem on at&t pre+'s

this would be optimal.

what should have happened: pre+ should have been named the pre. Same name. Same phone, just upgraded on all carriers that palm got/gets the pre to. The pre2 should have been named the pre. Same thing. I think they could have gotten away with that w/o carriers thinking that it's a different phone, but with their customers getting happier with their replacement phones.
    Wingsnut, its not a software issue. The GPS on the verizon pres was intentionally "broken". Verizon stills says its not their fault, so i doubt it will be fixed in 2.0. We'll have to wait and see how gps works on the verizon pre2...
    Yeah, I think it would be nice, but it's not gonna happen. I have sometimes thought that Pre - phones should have been replaced with + models. Sometimes it seems like that extra RAM is required for the phone to multitask as advertised. Heck, I can't play PDK apps without constant restarts unless I install UK.

EDIT: as much as I love my Pre, I CANNOT recommend the Pre- to anyone. I have not messed with a Pre+, but from what I have read on the forums here, it seems to be an OK recommendable phone... Or does it also require UK to run decent?
    Last edited by sinime; 10/27/2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Yeah, I think it would be nice, but it's not gonna happen. I have sometimes thought that Pre - phones should have been replaced with + models. Sometimes it seems like that extra RAM is required for the phone to multitask as advertised. Heck, I can't play PDK apps without constant restarts unless I install UK.
    .... Palm owes us for false advertising
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Should they? Sure.

Will they? I highly doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    .... Palm owes us for false advertising
    Of the few Pre(-)s I've seen in the wild, none of the owners are techie and all curse the Pre. I'd offer to install UK, but don't want the liability when something may go wrong down the road. You shouldn't have to install UK to get a phone running right.
    Pre Plus with 512MB of program RAM really helps with multitasking. I have never seen the TMC error on my Pre Plus. On the other hand, my wife's Pixi Plus which still only has 256MB of program RAM, I do see occasional TMC errors, especially when trying to play certain PDK apps like Angry Birds.

The only reason to run UK on Pre Plus is to increase the speed...but even stock Palm Kernal on Pre Plus seem to run certain things faster than original Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post

EDIT: as much as I love my Pre, I CANNOT recommend the Pre- to anyone. I have not messed with a Pre+, but from what I have read on the forums here, it seems to be an OK recommendable phone... Or does it also require UK to run decent?
  15. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Yes, and Chevrolet should let all C5 Corvette owners trade up to C6 models for $100 too.
    It would be nice, but I doubt it will happen.

Love my PrePlus, wish Sprint had it for y'all.

( D.M. = Dexter Morgan? )
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    ( D.M. = Dexter Morgan? )
    Yup! If I remember correct, it was a quote from Season 3.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    It would be a great gesture if HP did a trade in/swap type thing for past pre owners but lets be serious here... .it's not gonna happen.
    Yes and a life long supply of chocolate too.
    What a 12year old thread lol.

You might be able to sweet talk them into this with the exception of the "not impacting your upgrade status". There is no way they would do that, because as soon as something is released that is better than the Pre 2, you would upgrade in a heartbeat and they would be out that phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast