1.    #1  
    I am just tired lately with the Palm Pre's Youtube application. It is so damn slow. 3 minutes video takes 7-10 minutes to watch as every few seconds, it starts loading and loading and loading. This is after having the 1GH overclocking.

I am currently watching the Precentral's managing workspace with webOS 2.0 and the video is just loading and loading and loading and loading.....

Is anyone else having this issue?
    Yes, when watching YouTube over wifi....wifi is buggy on Pre. Net speed tests show wifi at 30-40mbps. Try on a solid EvDO connection.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    It might have to do with your network connection as well. Are you getting maximum coverage in your area?
    evdo is usually faster with youtube, but sometimes not.

it's surprising that evdo is better for youtube. Podcast downloading is so much faster with wifi
    IMHO, the youtube app on the Pre has been bad since day 1. It's a spinning wait black hole.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post
    I am just tired lately with the Palm Pre's Youtube application. It is so damn slow. 3 minutes video takes 7-10 minutes to watch as every few seconds, it starts loading and loading and loading. This is after having the 1GH overclocking.

I am currently watching the Precentral's managing workspace with webOS 2.0 and the video is just loading and loading and loading and loading.....

I have a palm pre on sprint and my youtube video now plays a lot better than before > This is what I did--- refresh the evdo data occasionally, press ##evdo# on your on screen dialer pad > then press save below hybrid A. The Phone will then refresh the evdo connection.

...Also, update network settings in > phone > preference.

I hope that fixes the problem.

Regards,
    Quote Originally Posted by hirenpathak View Post

First things first no matter how much you overclock your device you can't overclock the network bandwith.

So you are still limited to what type of signal you are receiving.

Now there are quite a few complaints about the Youtube app in general whether it's on EVDO or WiFi.

Personally I don't have any problems, but maybe my expectations are not set high enough?

I have tested the Youtube app on Android and WebOS and they both run about the same, so maybe it's just me...
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    First things first no matter how much you overclock your device you can't overclock the network bandwith.

Now there are quite a few complaints about the Youtube app in general whether it's on EVDO or WiFi.

Personally I don't have any problems, but maybe my expectations are not set high enough?

I have tested the Youtube app on Android and WebOS and they both run about the same, so maybe it's just me...
    You cant say the same about that google maps though lol.
    Find a friend who has an android phone, do a search for a youtube video and watch the performance difference between his phone and your phone. What I notice is the following:
    1. The startup time of the video on the webos phone is *much* slower than on android phone
    2. The webos phone will have to pause to buffer a bunch of times. The android phone dosen't have to.

These tests were done by me over the same wifi network. A network that has more than ample bandwidth available for both phones to manage the simultaneous download. In my case the tests were done w/a moto droid, an htc evo, htc hero, an iPhone 3G and my Palm Pre.

IMHO, the webos youtube app seriously under performs the android and iphone equivalent.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 10/28/2010 at 11:24 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    I have had this problem since July 09, and on 5 different devices. All the same. The search is usually slow...but playing the videos not only takes a while to start, but lags constantly. I usually end up downloading the video if it's important enough, but I can't tell you how many vids I've just had to blow off...which really, really sux.
    Psalm 11:6
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone,
    and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
  11.    #11  

That's correct, overclock has nothing to do with network. But what about Wifi? Even though I am connected to Wireless network, while playing Youtube video, it keeps pausing and buffering in between.

It is so frustrating.

@RUSH, I will give it a try. thanks for the tip.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    I have a palm pre on sprint and my youtube video now plays a lot better than before > This is what I did--- refresh the evdo data occasionally, press ##evdo# on your on screen dialer pad > then press save below hybrid A. The Phone will then refresh the evdo connection.

...Also, update network settings in > phone > preference.

I hope that fixes the problem.

Regards,
    Wow.. that really did the trick. I watched the "Nokia N8 - Commuter" and it is quite better now.. but still not completely bufferless.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    Find a friend who has an android phone, do a search for a youtube video and watch the performance difference between his phone and your phone. What I notice is the following:
    1. The startup time of the video on the webos phone is *much* slower than on android phone
    2. The webos phone will have to pause to buffer a bunch of times. The android phone dosen't have to.

These tests were done by me over the same wifi network. A network that has more than ample bandwidth available for both phones to manage the simultaneous download. In my case the tests were done w/a moto droid, an htc evo, htc hero, an iPhone 3G and my Palm Pre.

IMHO, the webos youtube app seriously under performs the android and iphone equivalent.
    So webOS plays the Youtube videos in high quality, versus Android which defaults to a low quality setting. If you do an accurate comparison, comparing Android high quality videos and webOS high quality videos you are going to get similar results.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    anyway to change to low quality or html5?

I think it's a google-not-updating-webos-apps problem...youtube is google
    search the forums for "faster evdo" find the thread that explains how to change your buffer speed. It all but eliminated my you tube problems.
    Alternatively, just install the patch that lets you download the videos, if you don't want to keep them, just delete when done.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    goto the YouTube html5 beta site on your pre and click join the beta. I did yesterday for the first time I guess. I really think the videos are buffering faster
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 11/20/2010 at 10:12 AM.