Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Could the problem with repeat attempts to sleep be intermittant?

About half the time, my phone stays 'warm' while not being used. The other half the time, it stays cool while the screen is off and the battery seems to last much longer. This is without any cards left open and the phone shouldnt be doing much when the screen is off.

I was wondering if there was a 'task manager' or something I could check the background operations of the phone. Looks like 'Terminal" is it?
    So...

I installed Nodoze. How should I configure preferences?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Btravelen View Post
    Could the problem with repeat attempts to sleep be intermittant?

About half the time, my phone stays 'warm' while not being used. The other half the time, it stays cool while the screen is off and the battery seems to last much longer. This is without any cards left open and the phone shouldnt be doing much when the screen is off.

I was wondering if there was a 'task manager' or something I could check the background operations of the phone. Looks like 'Terminal" is it?
    The problem was intermittent for me at first. It occurred right after a UberKernel + Govnah upgrade. Some people had the same problem and were able to get rid of it by uninstalling UK and Govnah. Not for me. After trying LOTS of different stuff I doctor'ed back to 1.4.0 and then 1.4.5. And the sleep bug went away for awhile. After a week of stock 1.4.5, having it in developer mode (to use novaterm), and only installing terminal from preware it came back.

Anyway, to watch system usage you can learn some Linux command line terminal applications (ps, top, uptime, powertop, cat /proc/) or use jstop, Dr. Battery, and Govnah.

The GUI Way: jstop, Dr. Battery and Govnah.

jstop will show the webos javascript applications. You don't see CPU load, but you can see the memory being used by basic mojo apps. Dr. Battery will give you all the info you need to see instant drain or watch drain over time. And Govnah shows the real system load.

Example Test: load Dr. Battery and Govnah and write down the Capacity left, Current, and Load averages. Sleep your phone for 15 mins. Wake it up and compare the capacity, current, and load averages. Sleep bug means high loads, an ~50mAh (for me) drop in capacity, and a high negative current value.

Basically you can use those to watch the drain/load in real time as you try different situations (GPS on/off, Data on/off, running games, etc).

The Commandline Way: ps, top, uptime, etc. via terminal or novaterm

Umm.. lots of info out there on that.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    So...

I installed Nodoze. How should I configure preferences?

Thanks!
    I just leave the default settings alone.

Turn 'Activate' to on and leave the card open. The thing I don't like is that the card blocks my nice background. Or you can set the "Background Enable" option in Preferences to on and then toss the card. Then you see the background, but lose a bit of the bottom because a notification is always there.

Use Dr. Battery to watch the Capacity and Current of the battery as you run (and don't run) Nodoze. It is always good to experiment with doing different things and using Dr. Battery to see how much it drains the battery. That way you can see what is really going on. For example I usually see a current of about -20mA when I 'wakeup' my phone now. Of course it isn't waking up, because it doesn't sleep with Nodoze. You are just turning off the screen. But, my 1400 Mugen came off the charger at 6:30am and at 8:30pm I have 640mAh left.
    How does Nodoze affect CPU scaling? By not allowing 'sleep mode', does the Screenstate function not work? Or does the 'screen off' function trigger the lower prcessor speed.....
    Or you could try a battery from ebay,much cheapness.
    I think the one that came with my phone was passed it's useby date.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Btravelen View Post
    How does Nodoze affect CPU scaling? By not allowing 'sleep mode', does the Screenstate function not work? Or does the 'screen off' function trigger the lower prcessor speed.....
    I run the 500/800 screenstate with Nodoze. And when the screen is off it is 500. When the screen is on it is 800.

I checked with /proc/cpuinfo
    thanks again. I installed 'terminal' and saw the constant wake/sleep attempts. Good explanation why my phone is always warm in my pocket... I read all of these, and other forum topics on this problem and I guess nodoze is the band-aid. The phone is much cooler while idle, so I guess I'll see how the battery hold up while using this method. Hope 2.0.1 fixes this 'bug'.

Take care
    I did one trial with "No Doze" activated and one with it off and came up with the same results, around 1.3 % per hour battery consumption while my Pre was at idle (email set to check every 30 min., GPS on, data on, wifi on and running Govnah/Uberkernel set at 500/800)
    Forgive my newbie question, I read all the posts in this thread and didn't see it mentioned -- would this apply to all the pre phones, gsm and cdma?

Thanks

Rich
  11. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GA400 View Post
    Forgive my newbie question, I read all the posts in this thread and didn't see it mentioned -- would this apply to all the pre phones, gsm and cdma?

Thanks

Rich
    I have an O2 Pre Plus (GSM) and mine's affected. Some of the other posters seem to be on Sprint (CDMA) so I guess the bug applies to all Pre models.
    Last edited by rs1; 11/21/2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Just keeping this one alive. The 'NoDoze' trick seems to be working for me.

I noticed this bug a *long* time ago, but never really identified it as a bug. I noticed that whenever I was logged into the phone via ssh, and the screen would turn off by 'timing out', the ssh session would go nuts with "powerd: system going to sleep now" then "powerd: system woke up". And it'd do this every 5 seconds or so.

As far as I can tell, it's been doing this for as long as I've had ssh on the phone. I think I only realized how it was affecting the battery life when I installed UberKernel, which I think magnified the problem so that I noticed it.

But I do have an assumption developing that I hope someone can clarify. Are there *3* power states for the Pre when the OS is booted: 'screen on' 'screen off' and 'screen off lowest-power state'? And is there documented differences between the 3? I think I also noticed on this thread someone mentioning the filesystem being dismounted when in the lowest power state... Just looking for clarification. The curious geek in me demands it. :-)

Glad I found this thread & many thanks to arrasmith for throwing us all a [power] line. :-)
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Oh, and for the record, with NoDoze active, the ssh powerd messages stopped - more evidence of the successful bandaid.
    If your load is at 30 with screen off it could be related to voltages...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    I am seeing this on my new Pre 2 - is this something that others are experiencing on this phone too? When the phone is supposed to be sleeping after pressing the power button, is there something that should normally wake it up? Like checking a synergy account, or something? Just trying to make sure this is behaving like it's supposed to. Yesterday I barely got 9 hours out of my battery before dying. DrBattery shows it at 100% health.

I'm thinking of trying NoDoze for a day and seeing if I get any further. I did install an LED flashlight app from preware but no overclocking or anything else.

Any other way to tell if the phone is fully going to sleep? tail /var/log/messages doesn't always show me what I'm expecting, just lots of roadrunner location looking messages talking about GoogleCellWifiEngine UpdateWithCellWifiInfo
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Same problem on my Pre2 (sent it off to palm yesterday for repair, less than 90 days old so free).

If you open xterm and then turn the screen off for 10-15 seconds you will see loads of powerd sleep/wake messages when you unlock. Not sure if that's what you're asking though...
    Yes that's what I get too... is this some sort of defect?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Okay. Battery went from 100% to 20% in like an hour this morning on the way to work. No apps running and not listening to music. This phone not sleeping itself problem is killing my battery life. Got it plugged in and charging now. What do I do next? Try and get a new phone from HP? It's less than a month old.

Quote Originally Posted by kevets View Post
    Okay. Battery went from 100% to 20% in like an hour this morning on the way to work. No apps running and not listening to music. This phone not sleeping itself problem is killing my battery life. Got it plugged in and charging now. What do I do next? Try and get a new phone from HP? It's less than a month old.
    Do you always have a strong signal? If you're going from 1x<->3g constantly or if you're roaming, this will eat your battery very quickly. The Pre is coded to look for the 3g signal at all times and will continue to look for one which will cause the battery to drain really fast.

Try putting your phone in Airplane mode for about an hour and see if the same draining behavior continues. The phone radio is what eats the battery the fastest.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Do you always have a strong signal? If you're going from 1x<->3g constantly or if you're roaming, this will eat your battery very quickly. The Pre is coded to look for the 3g signal at all times and will continue to look for one which will cause the battery to drain really fast.

Try putting your phone in Airplane mode for about an hour and see if the same draining behavior continues. The phone radio is what eats the battery the fastest.
    Adding my terminal screenshot from my other post in the Pre 2 forum on this to show what its doin. Sometimes i'm in bad signal area but didn't think that would hammer it this badly. Doing a test in airplane mode w/ terminal now to see if it does it again.

edit: still seems to be occurring in airplane mode. maybe less frequently but still getting the sleep/wakeup messages w/ airplane mode on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kevets; 07/18/2011 at 10:56 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast