Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Strange stuff happening with my Pre lately...

I use the "no auto off while charging" patch, and my screen & lock setting is for "Turn off after 5 minutes".

If my phone is not plugged in, the screen stays on for 5 minutes and then shuts off, just as the setting indicates.

However, when my phone is plugged in to the charging adaptor, the screen turns itself off every 2-3 minutes, stays off for about a minute, and then turns back on. Doesn't seem to matter whether the "Auto-Off While Charging" setting is off or on.

This behavior is quite annoying. Has anyone seen something like this happen before, or have any idea what could be causing it?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Yes, I have. I don't know what causes it either, but it drives me crazy at night. I've only noticed it happen when on the Touchstone.
  3.    #3  
    I don't use a Touchstone, but it happens whenever I'm using the USB charging port, whether connected to the computer or using the A/C charging adaptor.

Since you mention "at night" I remembered an additional oddity - if I turn the screen off with the power button (while charging), it stays off. However, if I use the "ScreenOff" app to turn the screen off, it turns itself back on in about a minute (and also will not respond to touch commands until turned off and back on with the power switch).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I had this happening recently and the issue was resolved when I removed an app that I had recently installed.

It was also driving me crazy and only did it when plugged into charge or when I had it on the Touchstone.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  5.    #5  
    verwon, do you know what the app was that caused the problem?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Nevermind on that, the problem returned today, even with that app removed.
  7.    #7  
    Bump...

(this issue is still causing me great annoyance..)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I doctored my phone and it's still doing it, but only when actually plugged in to charge and not on the Touchstone, now.
    do you have mode switcher installed?
    +1 and I do use mode switcher
    I don't have Mode Switcher. Installed it once, several months ago,bnever used it, so got rid of it and my Pre was just doctored a few nights ago.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    do you have mode switcher installed?
    Yes I do have Mode Switcher. But I had been using it for quite some time before this issue surfaced.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have been having this exact same issue.
    It is particularly annoying in the car when trying to use Sprint Nav.

Because of the GPS and Data Radio draining the battery I like to have it plugged in to the car charger. But when it is plugged in to charge, the screen shuts off on it's own and then I can't get it to pull back up for 30+ seconds and by the time it registers all my button pressing, the screen shut back off.

I only have this "screen" issue when it is connected to a charger.

Anyone else have any ideas on why this is happening?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I noticed that it's still happening for me too. It drives me crazy at night.
    could be a problem with the usb port. I've seen a few of them fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm....there is nothing else wrong with it. It works just fine to charge via USB and hook it up to the computer.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Definitely not the USB port in my case. When the screen goes blank it is well BEFORE the set time for screen shutoff (5 min in my case). Jiggling the USB connection will not turn it back on, but it will turn back on its own in a minute or so. Also, unplugging from the charging source (while leaving the USB connection on the Pre plugged in) will wake the screen up.

Furthermore, if I turn the screen off with the power switch while charging, it will stay turned off. BUT, if I use the homebrew "Screen Off" app to turn the screen off, it turns itself back on within a minute or two.

I'm starting to wonder if this app has something to do with the issues I'm having.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

To make sure that this problem isn't cause by any modifications ~ why don't you remove all patches and see if the problem persist. Run Emergency Patch Recovery(EPR). Note: make sure to save all patches prior to doing this.

Regards,
  19.    #19  
    @Rush:

If it gets annoying enough and if I get enough time, will consider trying that.

Right now for the car I'm using an inverter and the stock AC-USB charging adaptor. The inverter has an on/off switch for the AC outlets, so all I have to do is flip the switch off and back on whenever the screen goes blank.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    I am having this problem also.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast