1.    #1  
    I have read all the stuff re: JIC Technology's Palm Pre & Pre Plus Unlocker, Instant Palm Pre & Pre Plus Network & SIM Unlock.

I have found Cellunlocker where they want a mere $4.99 to do the same thing.

Before all that, I spent over 4 hours on the phone or chat with AT&T and Palm. I went to the top of each one's tech services, no joy.

Each points their finger @ the other. AT&T claims that Palm will not give them an unlock code pursuant to their "exclusivity" agreement. Which has no termination date, so AT&T's tech folks say it is never going to end, so no unlock code will ever be available.

Palm claims that it is the carrier and the carrier only that can provide an unlock code. It admits the existence of the agreement (how it can be exclusive if T-Mobile & Verizon have the Pre Plus, I do not know).

What's a poor boy to do? I'm off to the UK in a week, want to use my UK-based SIM when I get there, do NOT want to use AT&T's tech advice to put the Pre into 'airplane' mode and merely use it as a calendar and contacts list while I drag another GSM phone along.

<link deleted by Mod>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/26/2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Link deleted
    for $4 I would do it in a heartbeat only wondering if it's legit
    My previous experience with unlocking phone from AT&T was Palm Centro.
    Someone at the Forum said by claiming not an AT&T customer, it is easier to get an unlock code. I called 800 331 0500 and told them that, I was not AT&T customer, I bought the phone from ebay and I wanted to unlock it. They gave me the code. You might want to give it a try.
    It was 9 months ago. I don't know if they had changed their unlock policy, or Pre is special.
    If AT&T will give you the code, which they DO have, then I would go that route for sure. However, if they do not, you will need software to unlock the Pre Plus. It is available from Cellunlocker.net (also nextgenserver, etc.), I used it. BUT, it is not $4.99, more like $30 something I believe (a few weeks ago). Their tech support is incompetent based on my experience. The software they send you does not unlock the newest release of webOS, 1.4.5. So, if that is what is on the phone, you have to downgrade it (1.4.2 is what I used). They still haven't figured this out as far as I can tell, and still believe their software works peachy on the newest webOS, from what I gathered. Also, when you do go to their site and put in your IMEI, it will say a code is available, but it isn't. It says that no matter what number you put in the box. It is ridiculous. Although, they do put a little sentence there about if you have a Pre Plus to use the software, which doesn't work on newer webOS versions.

Long story short; get the software, downgrade to 1.4.2 if needed, unlock. That works. As of now, calculated codes using just the IMEI will not work.
    This should work as well but it's not 4$:
    Unlock Code for AT&T Cingular Palm Pre Plus ATT - eBay (item 170489605833 end time Nov-17-10 20:22:14 PST)
    If that 4$ one works let us know where you got it.
    The Pre is not on Tmobile actually. I don't know how they can say they have exclusivity either but maybe it's because it's the only American GSM version.

It might be a moot point anyway because if the ATT Pre is a dual band it won't work overseas anyway. You need a tri band at least and preferably quad band. I doubt it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mylott View Post
    The Pre is not on Tmobile actually. I don't know how they can say they have exclusivity either but maybe it's because it's the only American GSM version.

It might be a moot point anyway because if the ATT Pre is a dual band it won't work overseas anyway. You need a tri band at least and preferably quad band. I doubt it is.
    the att pre will work overseas you won't only get 3g... but edge will work....

anyway I used nextgenservers to unlock my pixi and it worked very well...
    The guys on ebay are suckers... they don't have the unlock codes and they even were treating me that I have stolen palm pixi and they will report me... hehe wat a duches... and my pixi was clean because I called att before...

so long story short I would pay the 30 bucks for nextgenservers and forget all the ebay crap
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mylott View Post

Pre is GSM Quadband.
    Nextgenserver unlock developed by JIC Tech works on all models and Max updated the unlock client because some 1.4.5 models were causing problems.

And I'm pretty damn sure Cellunlocker.net uses JIC Tech's unlock client as well.

Just refer to the unlock sticky.
    Been through the sticky. Nothing in there helped me in my particular case. Some good info in there though.

Yes, it is the JICTech client, however, in my particular case, neither Nextgenserver nor Cellunlocker mentioned anything about possible problems with 1.4.5, even though they were told which version I was using. Instead I was asked to download a version of the client which I already had, that did not work on my AT&T 1.4.5 device. I figured it out though after trial and error. So, the client does work, just not with all versions, unless that was recently resolved. Not a big deal though, because the Pre is easily downgraded in order to facilitate unlocking, if needed. Bottom line is I could not unlock my phone with just the instructions and software provided to me by Cellunlocker. Nor was a solution to the problem provided after the situation was explained.

As for the Ebay link. I doubt that will work, as I believe the Pre Plus cannot be unlocked with just a calculation done against the IMEI, like most GSM phones. I think it uses some random numbers embedded in the phone itself along with the IMEI in the calculations, hence the need for software. This is not unheard of, just a pain in the rear from an unlocker's perspective.

so long story short I would pay the 30 bucks for nextgenservers and forget all the ebay crap
    I agree.
    OK so I tried the cellunlocker dot net, $5 thing, they don't even have a way of unlocking the phone they just send you an email saying your unlock code wasn't found.... So they need more money...., seems like they are a scam.
    Did Nextgen ask you to provide logs?
    No, they didn't ask for anything. However, I included the .bin file (forget the exact name now) per instructions in the troubleshooting section of the documentation provided and I think on the web site also. After they didn't ask any questions, and just directed me to links for a download of something I already had (one of which was totally wrong), I gave up conversing with them and knew I would either have to solve the problem myself or demand a refund. Fortunately, I got it to work as mentioned above.

OK so I tried the cellunlocker dot net, $5 thing, they don't even have a way of unlocking the phone they just send you an email saying your unlock code wasn't found.... So they need more money...., seems like they are a scam.
    Why did you do that? If you read this thread at all, you would have realized that was a long shot at best. The Pre Plus cannot (please, if someone knows different enlighten us) be unlocked by a calculation on the IMEI alone. Therefore, the number won't be in the database. I know that, at least on Cellunlocker.net one can input any number in the box and it will tell you the code exists and it is ready to be purchased. Maybe not a scam, since they do provide a method that can work, but it is shoddy business practice at best. Also, if you read the page carefully, it will tell you that they do not have a code for the Pre Plus, rather you have to use software. Contrary to what the automated "code finder" on the same page tells you.

Bottom line. Don't buy codes for the Pre Plus. It won't work. Get the proper client software, which does exist. It just isn't as cheap. That is just the way it is right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kmdub View Post

Why did you do that? If you read this thread at all, you would have realized that was a long shot at best. The Pre Plus cannot (please, if someone knows different enlighten us) be unlocked by a calculation on the IMEI alone. Therefore, the number won't be in the database. I know that, at least on Cellunlocker.net one can input any number in the box and it will tell you the code exists and it is ready to be purchased. Maybe not a scam, since they do provide a method that can work, but it is shoddy business practice at best.
    I can vouch for this. I have tried 3 separate times to unlock phones with Cellunlocker.net and all 3 times they say the code is found and ready for purchase but then after paying i get an email saying the code is not found and they want more money to do it a different way. I also have tested the theory of putting in any random 15 digit number sequence to simulate an IMEI number. I did this 5 times and all 5 times it told me they have located the unlock code and is ready to be purchased even with fake made up IMEI numbers. I even tried the following:

Matching IMEI record found and ready for delivery!
    Your Device Information
    IMEI:312345678901234
    Make:HTC
    Model:G1
    Locked To:Cingular
    Your Price:$4.99

Basically all IMEIs start with 0 or 3 or 9 so i started with 3 and then entered in 1 2 3 4 5 6 and so on and it still says it found the unlock code for a phone that AT&T/Cingular never carried lol

I have to agree with the lot of ya and say use the NextGenServer software solution