Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I know its not called rooting. I used to be pretty advanced with Android and now I want to "Root" (even though its not rooting) the Pre. Honestly I love everything about it but I just want to overclock it. Its been slow in the week that I got it. Thanks. (I ask this because all the links to Quick Install are broken!)
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Hey guys, I know its not called rooting. I used to be pretty advanced with Android and now I want to "Root" (even though its not rooting) the Pre. Honestly I love everything about it but I just want to overclock it. Its been slow in the week that I got it. Thanks. (I ask this because all the links to Quick Install are broken!)
    Visit install.preware.org in your pc browser (Also mobile compatible)
    It might also be good for you to download the app Preware Homebrew Documentation from the app catalogue. Its 99c but is def worth and was created and maintained by Rod Whitby so there will always be up to date info in there.

Pip
  3.    #3  
    Thankyou so much! That one answer helped so much. If anyone would like to direct me to the 1ghz kernel I would be grateful! (Or 800 mhz, is fine as well).
    Thankyou so much! That one answer helped so much. If anyone would like to direct me to the 1ghz kernel I would be grateful! (Or 800 mhz, is fine as well).
    There are some pretty detailed overclocking instructions in that app I mentioned.
    Else the simply answer is, install preware. From Preware install Uberkernel and the app govnah.

Pip
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Pip. Precentral is a heck of alot nicer than all the Android forums. They are all crazy people with nothing better to do than virtually yell.
  6.    #6  
    Wait, which way do I install pre ware? Quick Install links are all down.
    You need one more post to view links.

(BTW)
    Welcome ursula to precentral. :-D
    Either use Rush's advice or the installl.preware.org page will have all the instructions to allow you to use the Standalone installer. (There are three ways to install Preware on that page).

Pip
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    Here: (url).
    Im sorry if im being stupid or something but there arent any d/l links there. They all lead to different threads and then to the 3.0 with the other broken link.
  10.    #10  
    Also, thankyou for the welcome! Android is ugly and iPhone isnt available here. Plus iPhone is a little over rated for such a strange little device. Pre is the way I want to go!
    Ok, in the link are the three ways of getting preware. Choose the standalone installer. You have to also download webos doctor version for your phone carrier, and put both in the same folder. Application:Preware. Also, here is the the doctor download.: Webos Doctor Versions.

Regards,
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Welcome to the forums!
    I love my Pre :P

Follow me on Twitter!
  13.    #13  
    Ok, in the link are the three ways of getting preware. Choose the standalone installer. You have to also download webos doctor version for your phone carrier, and put both in the same folder. Application:Preware. Also, here is the the doctor download.: Webos Doctor Versions.

Regards,
    Ok. I finally found the Pre Ware program. My *+*+*New problem*+*+* is that the directions say click tools and click "Install Drivers", but I dont have that option. So I clicked Install Preware (enormous button) and it said it couldnt continue without the Novacom drivers. Also, the VZW Pre Plus 1.4.5 version link is down. I guess its just not my lucky day.
  14.    #14  
    Here is the link. http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...l-v3-14-a.html. Try getting preware here, or get novacomd using webosQI.
    http://images.precentral.net/sites/p...ickInstall.jar

That download link is broken.
    Ok. I finally found the Pre Ware program. My *+*+*New problem*+*+* is that the directions say click tools and click "Install Drivers", but I dont have that option. So I clicked Install Preware (enormous button) and it said it couldnt continue without the Novacom drivers. Also, the VZW Pre Plus 1.4.5 version link is down. I guess its just not my lucky day.
    Keep in mind that the instructions in the official P|C tutorials are a bit dated, and at least for me, some things are different. I just winged it when I installed Preware and themes, and went from my general knowledge of the pre to Overclock it. It's rockin' now!
    gotta be in developer mode first. From the homescreen, type "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"
  17.    #17  
    I am in developer mode. But I thought that the Pre ware/ and or Quick Install were for Windows XP and you installed via usb.
    Hey Ursula, welcome to the wonderful world of WebOS. You've made a really smart move to 'Homebrew' (the 'root' equivalent).

So everyone else is going to get you to the links you want, I'll just give you some guidance.

You probably already know all of this, I'm just going to lay things out in case you don't. If you do already know all of this I apologize.

So, first I will explain what you are looking for. What you want are two apps, one is called Uberkernal, and one is called Govnah. Technically Uberkernal isn't an app, but at this stage, that's all you need to know.

To install these apps, you're going to have to install a special app catalogue called Preware. It's the best place to get all of the apps not in the official app catalogue, and you don't have to worry about it hurting your phone, and it's really nice to know that Palm has openly turned a blind eye, and even gone to the point of applauding, if not supporting Preware.

To install Preware, you need to get WebOS Quick Install installed on your PC. If you can't access the links for some reason I'm sure one of us can get you a copy somehow.

Once you get Quick Install on your PC, you go into developer mode on your phone (you can also type webOS20090606 while in the homescreen), you'll install preware onto your phone using a USB cable, then, in Preware, search for the Govnah app, then install the Uberkernel, restart and you're done.

The Govnah app is used to set the speed of the Uberkernel. There are other kernels out there, but the Uberkernel is the one that's been tested and is the safest. But I've tried the other kernels and I've found them to be safe too, just not as easy to set up.

I know you're eager to speed up your phone. (I've soooooooo been there) There will be some initial frustration (hopefully your link situation will be solved) but once you get Preware and overclocking working, trust me, it will aaaaaaallllllll be worth it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Vociferous; 10/25/2010 at 07:38 PM.
    I am in developer mode. But I thought that the Pre ware/ and or Quick Install were for Windows XP and you installed via usb.
    Yes, Quick Install is for Windows. I use XP and it works fine, but it can also be installed in Windows 7.

Once you've installed Quick Install, you can then install Preware onto your phone using the USB cord.

And then that's it. I rarely use Quick Install for anything anymore, Preware and Internalz can do so much.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Hey Ursula, welcome to the wonderful world of WebOS. You've made a really smart move to 'Homebrew' (the 'root' equivalent).

So everyone else is going to get you to the links you want, I'll just give you some guidance.

You probably already know all of this, I'm just going to lay things out in case you don't. If you do already know all of this I apologize.

So, first I will explain what you are looking for. What you want are two apps, one is called Uberkernal, and one is called Govnah. Technically Uberkernal isn't an app, but at this stage, that's all you need to know.

To install these apps, you're going to have to install a special app catalogue called Preware. It's the best place to get all of the apps not in the official app catalogue, and you don't have to worry about it hurting your phone, and it's really nice to know that Palm has openly turned a blind eye, and even gone to the point of applauding, if not supporting Preware.

To install Preware, you need to get WebOS Quick Install installed on your PC. If you can't access the links for some reason I'm sure one of us can get you a copy somehow.

Once you get Quick Install on your PC, you go into developer mode (you can also type webOS20090606 while in the homescreen), you'll install preware, then search for the Govnah app, then install the Uberkernel, restart and you're done.

The Govnah app is used to set the speed of the Uberkernel. There are other kernels out there, but the Uberkernel is the one that's been tested and is the safest. But I've tried the other kernels and I've found them to be safe too, just not as easy to set up.

I know you're eager to speed up your phone. (I've soooooooo been there) There will be some initial frustration (hopefully your link situation will be solved) but once you get Preware and overclocking working, trust me, it will aaaaaaallllllll be worth it.

Good luck!
    Thankyou very much! I loved root on my Android device because, if I didnt have root I doubt I would have kept the thing. Its really cool to see all of these people helping me out. Your all really good people!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast