Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Recently my phone has started getting to 40% charge and then dropping to 0 - at which point the low battery warning shows up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening? Is the phone dying on me or has the battery simply taken a beating? If it is indeed, the battery, could it be the touchstone? I love my touchstone, the ease of charging is sensational - but I can't help but notice how hot the phone gets while charging on it.. Thanks for the help in advance guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaimel0l View Post
    Recently my phone has started getting to 40% charge and then dropping to 0 - at which point the low battery warning shows up. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening? Is the phone dying on me or has the battery simply taken a beating? If it is indeed, the battery, could it be the touchstone? I love my touchstone, the ease of charging is sensational - but I can't help but notice how hot the phone gets while charging on it.. Thanks for the help in advance guys.
    Go to this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-battery.html

Get the Dr. Battery app and recalibrate your battery.

EDIT: Actually, before wasting your time calibrating your battery, just use that app to check it's health. I bet it is 60% or below. Might be best just to get a new battery.
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Happened to me too. Mine would get to about 30% then shoot to 0. Signs of an aging battery that is nearing its time to be replaced.

You can help extend the battery life by downloading "Dr. Battery" in Preware. It will allow you to recalibrate your battery to avoid the sudden drop to 0.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/dr-battery
    sounds like the battery is dying.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Apparently the battery health is 91% ha. How long does this calibration take? It has been sitting on, "waiting for battery enter calibration mode." I hope this calibration does the trick - seeing as the health is apparently so high. Fingers crossed! Thanks for the help guys. WebOS community <3
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteWithJme View Post
    You can help extend the battery life by downloading "Dr. Battery" in Preware. It will allow you to recalibrate your battery to avoid the sudden drop to 0.
    Recalibrating using Dr. Battery won't extend battery life. It will fix the "sudden death drop" and make the battery gauge more accurate but it won't increase the life in any way.

To the OP: If you are getting the sudden death drop at 40%, it's probably time for a new battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    EDIT: Actually, before wasting your time calibrating your battery, just use that app to check it's health. I bet it is 60% or below. Might be best just to get a new battery.
    True health will only show after calibration. If you check the health without calibrating a battery that has the "sudden death drop", the health will read better than it actually is.

After calibration, it will eliminate the death drop and show the true health.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I had a battery that was at 40% health and was doing the exact same thing! Just take it into your local carrier store and if they are anything like the one i visited they will give you a new battery.

Good Luck!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    True health will only show after calibration. If you check the health without calibrating a battery that has the "sudden death drop", the health will read better than it actually is.

After calibration, it will eliminate the death drop and show the true health.
    Strange. I had the 20% - 0% death drop and my battery health was exactly the same before and after calibration -- 83%.
    Strange. I had the 20% - 0% death drop and my battery health was exactly the same before and after calibration -- 83%.
    First time I hear that. Are you sure you got the "successfully calibrated" message at the end of calibration?

EDIT: @OP as almost all poster already mentioned, your battery seems to be at it's end.
    Get a cheap centro battery or a Mugen 1400.
    Last edited by somline; 10/26/2010 at 12:17 AM.
    My battery just started doing this a few days ago. The odd thing is my original Pre never had this problem. The one I'm using now was replaced in Sept at a Sprint store because the spacebar was stuck down. They included a new battery. Now I have to plan a day to go sit in the store for an hour.
    My battery will quickly fall from 20% to 0%. I've calibrated with Dr. Battery before. I'm not convinced that Dr. B works right.

What is strange is that once I'm at 0%, the phone will literally stay active for a long time ... Up to an hour. That's why I don't think Dr. Battery calibrates right.

I don't care really, as I'm getting a replacement Pre for other reasons this week. Just thought I'd mention it.
    Quote Originally Posted by txba539 View Post
    That's why I don't think Dr. Battery calibrates right.
    The calibration is done by the chip inside the battery.
    Dr.B sets the start voltage to a slightly higher voltage to avoid a shutdown.
    Then the chip signals calibration start by switching the Learnflag to on.
    After you connect the charger Dr.B. waits until the Learnflag gets switched off. If at that time the chargetermination flag is on, the calibration was successful and the health is calculated by the chip.

This all is done by the chip. Sorry it doesn't worked for you.
    Even if the battery needs replaced, it might be worthwhile to recalibrate it so you have a better idea of how much charge is left until you get your new one.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Even if the battery needs replaced, it might be worthwhile to recalibrate it so you have a better idea of how much charge is left until you get your new one.
    +1.
    You never know that the shown health value is correct until you actually calibrate.
    It is likely possible, that you had 82% before and 65% after calibrating (witch was the real value).