1.    #1  
    It seems that when I put the Palm on the Touchstone to charge I get a temperature warning after a while. And yes, the phone is pretty warm to the touch. Any idea on why this may be?
    Quote Originally Posted by RohitJain View Post
    It seems that when I put the Palm on the Touchstone to charge I get a temperature warning after a while. And yes, the phone is pretty warm to the touch. Any idea on why this may be?
    Hey RohitJain,
    I was experiencing this same exact problem! But there's good news! It's not really a problem at all...see, the Pre will generally take a gain in temperature when on the Touchstone. For example, mine sits at 36-37C after an hour or two, but never gets any hotter (this si considered normal).
    Although, I never experienced any temperature warnings. However, this could be an easy fix by just closing any opened cards/running applications and clocking your Pre back too 500MHz (if it's at a higher state).

I hope this helped some!
    ~Ted
    LG Venus -> Palm Prē Plus -> Apple iPhone 5 -> HP Veer -> HP Prē 3 -> HTC One (M8)
    yep, a little bit hotter.

best to turn off gps radio. If you have wifi, turn off the 3g radio, which is the biggest source of heat and battery drain.
    I removed the temp warning patch. Palm designed the phone to work with the Touchstone so the high temps have been tested. Not a problem other than the phone being hot, but it shouldn't do any damage.

Even if you are overcloked the Govnah app will throttle the CPU back down to 500mhz when on the Touchstone.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So?
    I don't get a temp warning, but it is noticeably warm. Not really worried, but what do i know
  7.    #7  
    Yes, I had applied the patch and therefore the temp warnings. Thanks for the adivce. I will remove the patch as well. I do keep some apps running and the wi fi. Will look at shutting those off.
    Another option is to open up the slider when it's on the Touchstone to help dissipate the heat. I've found that helps a lot if the Pre is idle. If it's on the Touchstone and downloading data it gets way too hot. I just plug it in instead of using the Touchstone to avoid a meltdown.
    I use Dr. Battery to watch the temps when I'm streaming audio on the Touchstone. I've seen temps get to about 43C, but if I open the slider, it usually drops back down below 40C. Also, if my battery is low, I will charge it for a while before doing anything else (slider open). I usually stream on wifi and I don't turn off anything else like 3G or GPS. If I'm streaming over 3G, then I won't charge at the same time... that's when I notice things get really hot.
  10.    #10  
    I also noticed that it gets really hot only if the battery is not up to 100% charged. Once it is charged, it does not. Seems somewhat obvious, but thought I would mention it.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I agree. It gets hot when I'm in the car streaming audio. I'm going to try opening the slider when I'm doing that.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I put my Pre Plus on the touchstone in my car for long periods of time. Usually I'm streaming music, sometimes using GPS too. I noticed that after an hour or so it begins to overheat, warning signs are when it begins to start dropping the audio stream for no reason (i.e. Full 3G but loses connection). After a few minutes of that it'll reset itself. This is one thing I hope is fixed with new hardware, I wouldn't want my road trips to be filled with trying to manage heat!
    I drvie alot with my Pre on the TS in my car, one time I drove to Tucson (over 6 hours) and I have never had an overheating problem. I use the screenstate 500/1000 so when my Pre is sitting on my TS it is clocking at 500mhz.
    just took the touchstone out of the box ...didn't work from USB so I found the charger (original hp for phone) & cable for it and it charges...wow !! ...but, it got to 50C !!! ...took it off the touchstone & plugged into usb cable & temp rapidly came down to 43C while charging ...what do I need to know ?
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    just took the touchstone out of the box ...didn't work from USB so I found the charger (original hp for phone) & cable for it and it charges...wow !! ...but, it got to 50C !!! ...took it off the touchstone & plugged into usb cable & temp rapidly came down to 43C while charging ...what do I need to know ?
    The TS will not work from standard usb. It requires a palm cylinder shaped wall outlet. By design anyway.
    If you are running data consuming apps on the ts it will run hot. Leave the slider open or use the cable instead.

Monitor the temp with govnah in exhibition. It will chart spikes. Get to know more about how serious it is by watching the graphs in real time. I watch them sometimes while streaming. It's interesting watching it work as several hours pass. And you can switch from apollo to govnah in exhibition and not have to remove it from the ts.

But i did not use the TS when i tethered for long periods. I prefer the cautious route to some degree.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 09/23/2014 at 04:49 PM.