1.    #1  
    I know alot of you guys probably went through this when the Palm Pre first came out last year. I know there are alot of threads around that time (mid 2009) about how to improve battery life, but I'm wondering how people's battery life is now.

A few days ago I was running a couple apps I had just downloaded (flickr app lite & weatherboard lite), and I think one of them hung because it ended up killing my battery overnight. Sitting on my nightstand it went from 70% to completely dead dead dead in 7 hours. Wouldn't even charge with the touchstone, had to hard wire it in to recharge.

After that I wanted to measure my battery life a bit closer. Previously I had encountered the mail batter life sucker bug - when I set my mail to download as it arrives, my battery would die within a few hours. Setting it back to 15 minutes cleared it up.

This is what I'm running:
    WebOS 1.4.5
    mail fetches every 15 minutes
    gps off
    EVDO hybrid rev 0 mode
    not much else

So yesterday my battery went from 97% down to 67% in the course of 17 hours. This seems pretty decent, but I didn't actually do very much in that time. No calls, maybe downloaded/sent a few emails, and checked my front notifications maybe a dozen times.

So that gives a standby drain with light usage at about 2% an hour. Does that seem right?

Also I've noticed if I charge it right to 100%, it takes a while to get to 99%, but then it drains quicker. It seems the scale is not entirely linear.

Anyway my usage is pretty light - mainly just checking email through the day, surf a bit, play a couple games, and make the occasional call, and I seem to get through the day ok.
    I still have my original release day pre. My battery will go from 100% to basically dead with almost no use in 12 hours.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieas View Post
    I still have my original release day pre. My battery will go from 100% to basically dead with almost no use in 12 hours.
    Wow that doesn't seem right... I think I can get close to 48 hours with light usage, since I'm typically ending the day at around 60%.

What mail settings do you have? I know there was a big issue with having mail set to retrieve "as it arrives" - when I turn that on my Pre gets hot and the battery starts draining at about 1% every few minutes. So I have it set to get mail every 15 minutes and that seems not to bad.

Today as I type this, my phone has been going for 7 hours and I'm at 76% charge - this is after doing some emailing/web use/preware downloading.
    For me. Running 1.4.5 + UberKernel I was using about 20% an hour. Doing nothing.

Did a secure erase and Doctor-ed it to 1.4.0 and then to 1.4.5. That was the only way I got it to stop eating the batteries (plural because I have a Mugen 1400 battery, stock Pre battery, and a Centro battery for this phone). Running official Palm only it would burn at about 3% an hour doing nothing. Which is the same as my wife's Pre.

Until yesterday.

Now it is back to burning through 10%-12% an hour. Doing nothing. I hadn't even reinstalled Preware just to narrow the possibilities. In the past I had accused UberKernel and Govnah of causing my problem. I guess not. So now I'm moving back up to Preware, UberKernal, and Govnah to see if they up my usage to 20% an hour again.

Rampant Speculation: This is a hardware/kernel bug that HPalm needs to get on the ball for squashing. And it really really bugs me because I have a Sprint Family plan with four Pres and one Pixi.
    sounds like background favebook and such. Run jstop and see what is running.
    Back running Preware + UK. JSTop shows: System UI (twice), Phone (twice), Messaging, Launcher, Calendar, Email, Contacts, Jstop, and Camera after a reboot. And I have all cards closed.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I keep my pre charging constantly. If I am using it on the train, listening to music/reading things, it will go dead from a full charge in about an hour/hour and a half. If I go out at night without it fully charged, it will be dead by the time the night is over, even if I didn't really do all that much (check messages every so often, google maps, etc). I am just way too lazy to fix it. I'm sure it's some homebrew thing I have destroying the battery somehow. Or maybe it's the push e-mail (which never seems to work consistently anyway).

Summary: Battery life sucks.
    I hope this forum don't gets tired about me always posting this:
    Comparing battery % usage depends also on the health/capacity of your battery.
    Example:
    Quote Originally Posted by robbieas View Post
    Without knowing the health of this (day one?) battery this post can't be used to compare batterylife. My battery had 55% (health) capacity of a new one after 3/4 year.

If you really want to compare power consumption you will need to compare mA/h or watt/h.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I hope this forum don't gets tired about me always posting this:
    Comparing battery % usage depends also on the health/capacity of your battery.
    Example:

Without knowing the health of this (day one?) battery this post can't be used to compare batterylife. My battery had 55% (health) capacity of a new one after 3/4 year.

If you really want to compare power consumption you will need to compare mA/h or watt/h.

Good point. My pre is only a month old, so the battery is brand new.

More stats: last night I charged my battery to full 100% and put it in airplane mode. 10 hours later the battery was still at 100%. I also had wi-fi off. So any radio communication is what kills the battery.

Then this morning on the bus, I used about 10% of the battery reading news on the web over the course of about 45 minutes.

It seems like I should be able to get several hours (4-6 or so) of continuous heavy usage out of it.
  10.    #10  
    Question: how does the pre battery life compare to other phones: iphone, blackberry, android phones, etc.? Simliar?

I have an ipod touch to compare with and its battery is pretty good; I can use it moderately for several days... but then its not talking with a cell tower all the time.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wrigs View Post
    I keep my pre charging constantly. If I am using it on the train, listening to music/reading things, it will go dead from a full charge in about an hour/hour and a half. If I go out at night without it fully charged, it will be dead by the time the night is over, even if I didn't really do all that much (check messages every so often, google maps, etc). I am just way too lazy to fix it. I'm sure it's some homebrew thing I have destroying the battery somehow. Or maybe it's the push e-mail (which never seems to work consistently anyway).

Summary: Battery life sucks.
    Push email ("as it arrives" setting) kills my battery. I changed it to fetch every 15 minutes and got a great improvement.

I'm using yahoo mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by boomerangkevin View Post
    Then this morning on the bus, I used about 10% of the battery reading news on the web over the course of about 45 minutes.
    This (10%) is what I had with my standard new palm 1150mAh battery. Now with the muggen It's more like 7% reading precentral and other webpages for 45min during subway drive to work.
    I have 3 mail accounts (all imap) google, and two from isp. Setting as arrive and get it through the day. No phone calls but web browsing and messaging.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Battery life is unacceptable each and every way you look at it. Pre is like the Chevy Volt... 40 miles and you are "on your own"
    run Dr. Battery and 'calibrate' your battery. Then check it's health. You will be surprised. After 80% health I find the battery is almost useless. Some batteries are better than others I've found out. Just bought 2 batteries and 1 is already down to 90%, while the other is rocking strong @ 97%. Both batteries are 1 month oldish... Point being, get Dr. Battery and do a calibration, then check the health status.
  15.    #15  
    Last nights test:

I charged the phone to 100% around 7:30pm and then took it off the touchstone. Turned airplane mode on, and then turned wi-fi on, then left it sitting 12 hours to the next morning.

I thought the Pre would have used almost no power as I thought Wi-fi turned off when it was in standby. When I checked in in the morning, the battery was down to 83%. Used about 1.5% an hour. Granted the phone was in the bedroom which is probably the worst spot in the house for wi-fi signal. So perhaps the Pre spent the night hunting for wi-fi. I need to do the test again with the phone sitting right next to the router.

Today I charged again to 100% and have turned wi-fi off and set mail fetch to manual to see if that makes a big difference. Will report back later...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by boomerangkevin View Post
    Last nights test:

I charged the phone to 100% around 7:30pm and then took it off the touchstone. Turned airplane mode on, and then turned wi-fi on, then left it sitting 12 hours to the next morning.

I thought the Pre would have used almost no power as I thought Wi-fi turned off when it was in standby. When I checked in in the morning, the battery was down to 83%. Used about 1.5% an hour. Granted the phone was in the bedroom which is probably the worst spot in the house for wi-fi signal. So perhaps the Pre spent the night hunting for wi-fi. I need to do the test again with the phone sitting right next to the router.

Today I charged again to 100% and have turned wi-fi off and set mail fetch to manual to see if that makes a big difference. Will report back later...

Ok so at end of day yesterday I was down to about 70% which is pretty good - although it was light usage - sent a few txt messages/checking email/downloading H.A.W.X.

The main thing I did was download the 200mb+ H.A.W.X. game (which is awesome). My pre consumed almost 20% of the batter downloading and installing it! So I only used about 10-15% in the day with email fetch set to manual. I recharged to 100% in the evening and overnight I lost about 10% with it doing nothing.

I believe there is an app that puts the pre in airplane mode while you sleep - I think I will try it out.

The other test I want to do is turn data off completely (phone/txt msg only) and see what the battery life is like.
    If you are really interested in monitoring battery drain, you will need the patch that allows reporting of true battery percentage. Also you will need Battery Monitor, that gives you the stats you are after in terms of current drain in ma, % drain/hr, etc etc. IT also plots a time graph to let you see how your device uses power over a period of time. My standby current drain is approximate 2 - 3 ma, with periodic spikes that correspond to data activity or whatever else the phone wants to do on a repeating basis. I estimate that my phone has a standby life of up to 32 hrs, with data=on, but no use.
    If I turn off wi-fi and data, while leaving phone active, my standby drain is around 1.5ma and an estimated 100hrs of standby battery life.

In practice, I don't ever get more than 12 hrs out of my phone between charges.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    Battery life is unacceptable each and every way you look at it. Pre is like the Chevy Volt... 40 miles and you are "on your own"

The Chevy Volt will go approximately 40 miles only using its battery pack,but then the 1 liter gasoline engine starts and powers a 74 hp (56kw) generator;this extends the range to about 310 miles (500 km) from its 9.3 US gallon (35 l; 7.7 imp gal) gasoline tank.

Chevrolet Volt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Nissan Leaf,on the other hand,will only go about 100 miles,as there is not gasoline engine back-up.
  19.    #19  
    OK 1 year later, this is where I'm at. Yes I still have a Palm Pre.

My battery life had been getting worse and worse, lasting barely 8 hours a day doing nothing other than sitting in my pocket. The calibration was way off as it would be at 60% one moment, then after a bit of usage it would drop instantly to zero. I fixed that with Dr. Battery, but still had poor usage of 8 hours.

Then did a bit more experimentation. Airplane mode (LOL) does wonders - 8 hours and still at 100%! I also discovered that facebook updates (set at 20 mins) do use a bit of battery, and turned my email to manual. This gave me back almost day and a half of battery life between charge. However not real useful with all data off. (just turning off data seems to give decent battery life too).

But I really need email updates - that was the purpose of this phone - and occasional surfing. Seems with any kind of email polling, 15 mins/30 mins or whatever it won't last more than 8-10 hours. And God forbid I actually surf the web on it. Today at lunch I surfed for 20 minutes, and 20% of my battery disappeared.

So for me the Pre is not really viable any more. In the last few weeks/months the following has pushed me over the edge:
    - geocaching app no longer worked (it has been repaired since, but I fear too little too late)
    - the map app has changed and is not so great (ok I guess)
    - app support is terrible
    - no os updates as webOS is dying
    - battery is terrible

Basically it is not reliable enough for what I want to do.

I think its time to get an iphone 4S (assuming they fix the battery issues with the 4S!).

At least I have a cheap data plan out of the deal. I will probably buy an unlocked iphone outright. And at least with iPhone I know it will be supported for 3+ years.

Cheers...