Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've read so many posts about people wishing for better hardware and the Pre 2 not being available on Sprint, ever? My contract ends on December 5th and I was debating how long I was going to hold on to my original Pre. I spent some time at work looking at reviews of the Epic 4G and the Evo 4G. Well, I tell you... I DEFINITELY ruled out the Evo. Waaaay too big, no physical keyboard, poor battery life. Lots of complaints about the clunkiness of Android and the horrible stuttering and such while using the phone. Everybody talks about how difficult it is to TRULY close programs on Android too. I mean, REALLY? After reading all these Android reviews, I realize how much I LOVE my Pre. Not the latest and greatest, and it has its moments. But it's bullet proof reliable and just WORKS.

As for the Epic 4G, that looked like my most likely upgrade choice, but mostly the same problems with the Evo. I keep my phone on me all day and use it a lot. Especially with text messages and emails. I've read reviews saying that even with Task Killer, and some kind of "juice" program - I forget what it's called - they get abysmal battery life. Plus, issues with GPS accuracy, coupled with the stuttery/laggy camera that you have to hold on your subject for 2 seconds after clicking the shutter so you don't get blurred images? Wow... How come so many are on this Android bandwagon? How do they do it?! WHY???

I've never used either of these phones for more than a few minutes (I've played with them in the store) so I can't say for sure how my "mileage" will be, so I'm still half way tempted to try out that Epic 4G for a couple of weeks. If I've got major issues, then I'm going back to my Pre. The screen is PERFECT, not a scratch on it. A few light scratches on the back of the case, and it's been dropped a couple of good times. The Seidio Innocase has protected it well. I've got a mild oreo effect going on too, but it's really the best phone I've had. Palm, I mean, err... HP WebOS is badass, and they know what they're doing. If I have to get a newer or better condition Palm Pre in the coming months off of ebay to last me until Sprint gets their act together to release Palm/HP's latest and greatest, then so be it! Plus, I look forward to trying out WebOS 2.0.

I strongly believe that even with the mild headaches I've had with this phone, the Pre and WebOS are the best things going. I also believe that the few problems I've had with this phone will pale in comparison to the problems I could potentially have if I were stuck with an Android based battery sucker of a phone. Feel free to prove me wrong.

ROCK ON PALM/HP!

And Sprint, you'd better have something new featuring HP WebOS on your networks next year!!! Get your act together!
    I'm not getting ride of my Pre+ untill contract with Verizon ends. I paid nothing for my phone ($50 upgrade and buy one get one deal got two for free) Also, the Pre 2 doesn't look that great to me. So I will keep my phone another year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mverhoef View Post
    Received a replacement Pre plus a couple of weeks ago. No more keyboard problems. Received my extended life battery a couple weeks ago. No more battery problems. Pretty much love my Pre now, will keep it indefinitely
    i just got a refurb in late september, the last month of my year warranty, and the refurb has zero oreo, good keyboard, good power button --none of the known issues. and i got the bodyguarz protector and a 1300 battery as well. so, i'm good to go for a while, just like you.

of course, i still want a bada$$ new phone anyway though.
    I don't know... battery is getting really depleted. New phones are drawing my attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by karibousboutique View Post
    I don't know... battery is getting really depleted. New phones are drawing my attention!
    Hey, spend $30 on a extended capacity battery. I got a Mugen 1400mAh battery about a month ago and it's really revived my Pre! I'll bet your Pre, even with your depleted battery, will STILL outlast a brand new Evo or Epic! Lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by boomerangkevin View Post
    Will webOS 2.0 be available on the original palm Pre? Or is it just not possible?
    yes precentral reported it sometime last week. Here is the link I don't know if it will work as I am playing around with the precentral app: http://www.precentral.net/yes-webos-20-will-be-coming-older-webos-devices
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Seriously? I'm keeping my Pre until it no longer works (or something significant breaks on it so it becomes too difficult to use). What, are you guys made of money? I have too much I have to spend on already!

Why replace a phone that works fine?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    Seriously? I'm keeping my Pre until it no longer works (or something significant breaks on it so it becomes too difficult to use). What, are you guys made of money? I have too much I have to spend on already!

Why replace a phone that works fine?
    Because you like new stuff? Because while it works "fine" you believe you can be more efficient with another device?

Regardless, my Pre worked "fine" so i sold it with my touchstone for $125 and bought an Evo for $200. So $75 for a new device is more than justifiable for me.
    as long as my agreement tells me to. No regrets though
  10.    #50  
    i owned a hero for a year and came back to the pre...ONLY because i could overclock it to 1ghz.. if it weren't for that i would of never come back. as ive said if we do not get anything impressive at ces then ill buy the epic 4g.
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
    I just got mine for free last month with a three-year $35 per month plan from Bell Mobility, so my guess is three years.
    you do realize by then your pre will be over 4 years old right?
    I'm on my second pre. My first one got stuck in headset mode. Now I have a crack on the usb door heading for the screen. I'm going to keep my pre as long as I can. I'm just hoping a new device comes out before I have to pay another $100 to get another pre minus.
    fixxxer1022,

I had my LG 5400 dumb phone for almost 6 years before. Unless it breaks, there's a good chance the Pre will still suffice my needs.
    I was frustrated with my battery drain, then I got the news about the discontinuation of the Classic app and was about to lose it!!! (Serenity NOW!!!) Instead, I went to the Sprint store, Pizza Hut in hand, and got a brand new battery. I will use my old Treo Pro for my Classic run apps so I guess I will continue my 10 year relationship with Palm.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    I'm not sure. I just got my pre replaced yesterday after 16 months of service, so assuming this phone holds up equally as well, I can now wait it out. Since I had to do my patches over again, discovering new things is right now enough of a fix to hold me over. I hadn't looked at patches since before June since my phone was set up just how I liked it. I'm really happy to see that the glass effect patch is available in a dark blue, and the option to tweet via spaz from the web browser is so awesome I actually stood up and clapped when I found that patch. No more remembering pages and articles to tweet when I get home. The speaker volume patch is awesome as well. I don't over clock but I do change the logging to minimal, so its plenty fast for me and the option is always there if I want it to be snappier. With webOS 2.0, that will bring even more changes and hopefully even better screen response. I was unhappy before because my phone was in such bad shape and I didn't want to pay 100 bucks for a refurb when I had only paid about that much to get it in the first place. I've been eligible for an upgrade since June, but there IS no other OS after webOS, IMO. It does everything that I need it to do very well. Now that I've got my sexy back, I'm good.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by dennilfloss View Post
    fixxxer1022,

I had my LG 5400 dumb phone for almost 6 years before. Unless it breaks, there's a good chance the Pre will still suffice my needs.
    guess your not much of a tech geek then. i switch phones all the time. id NEVER go back to a dumb phone.
    keeping mine till february (i'm assuming this is when the new palm superphone will be available). If it's not and there is still no Pre2 on Sprint, i'm going to verizon..
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    As much as I can't stand my pre sometimes, I also can't stand iphones and android at all. WebOS is the only mobile OS I can stand at all, so I'll keep my pre until it breaks, or until palm releases a new uber phone on sprint (I'd prefer that option :-).
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    I just jumped ship to Android and the EVO. Thought I would hate the OS because WebOS is great. I also thought the EVO was too big and the on-screen keyboard would be a problem. I have to say that the EVO is a great phone and the keyboard is very easy to get used to. But, when HPalm decides to release a respectable piece of equipment I'll probably jump back because WebOS is really that good and getting better. I just got tired of the garbage hardware. It really is pathetic.
    riding mine til the wheels fall off!!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast