Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been reading arguments between fixed vs screenstate settings and I understand the reasoning for both.

Fixed relies on "race to idle" where the device uses the faster processor settings to get a job done fast, and then goes into a resting state, where the processor is at 0, reducing the amount of power consumption. The downside is, that any processes that might NOT be quick (i.e., talking on the phone, listening to music, running battery moniter-does this count?) will run, at that setting. I believe this is why I kill half my battery on two, 20 minute phone calls.

Screentstate says that everything being done while the screen is off, is done at a lower processor setting. BUT, something like 500Mhz, for some, might be just the wrong setting, in that it's too slow to take advantage of the race to idle concept, and too fast to be of real benefit for reducing power consumption.

Recently, I have seen more folks swearing by 125/XXX or 250/XXX settings. It seems logical, to a layman like me, that, assuming your device isn't subject to freezing or lagging at those speeds, AND assuming those speeds are actually sufficient for such simple "screen off" functions listening to the MP3 player or talking on the phone, that you could see some substantial power savings. Some folks claim 5-6 hours of extra time over fixed. One stated he could go for 24 hours at 125/720, with light use.

Anyone else want to chime in? Is there a hole in my logic? Does it all go back to what works for your processor?

Here are a few other thoughts...

At lower processing speeds 125, 250, what happens to streaming music? Do we need to figure that out, and create a profile for that function?

What is a good setting for just reading or mostly reading (ie this site)? I can kill my battery pretty fast at 1GHZ while reading a book. OR does this count as one of those "race to idle" things, where I can be staring at a book, but the processor isn't actually engaged in displaying it after it's come up on screen?

Lastly, I understand there are functions that are not processor intensive or do not use the processor at all, that occur during processor-idle time. What are they (or some examples)?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Our phones are different so results will vary. I am using either 500/1000 or 500/800 and my battery has been great. I have tried 250/800 and 250/1000 and battery drain was pretty bad. Which I think is because it takes longer to finish whatever processes start up when the screen is off. If you look in the govnah thread under webos internals you'll see a lot of examples and explanations about why batteries drain at certain speeds. Also some phones will crash at 125 while others are fine with it.
    From what I understand underclocking actually drains your battery faster than running at 500 MHz. The only benefit is lower cpu temps.
    I swear by the conservative kernel in UK. Set to 500 min 1G max. This kernel scales down the frequency from the max when demand is low, but is quick to go to higher speeds when needed.
    It seems just as fast as screenstate without the battery usage or high temps.
    Using latest uber kernell & govnah.. And set my overclock screenstate 500/1000, I got worst result compared to 500/800. This time not about heat or battery drain. But about performance. I found 1ghz set makes my Pre sometimes lags. I noticed this when scrolling between page on launcher & playing game.. Angry birds.
    i run 250/800. my phone can't handle 125, and will often do strange things when trying to wake up. 250 seems fine for listening to pandora and trackinga run or bike ride with smartrunner. and it doesn't seem to cause any trouble when a phone call or noticiation comes in with screen off running 250 while doing those things. my battery seems to be greatly improved in it's screen off state. as far as when running at 800, i do get things done more quickly, so the phone goes back to screen off pretty quickly, and that helps.

often though, i use my pre in place of my laptop, and will just sit for literally 3 hours with the screen on using it. that will usually kill a good 40-45%% of my battery (1350mah), but i realize that most people probably do not have their phone screen on and in use for 3 hours at a time.

i guess i recommend using battery monitor and testing different setting to see what works best for you. i find that a low speed for screen off saves a lot of juice. that is, when i actually have the screen off.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, this is interesting. You know, I've been seeing so much about fixed vs screenstate, I hadn't really seen much about performance vs conservative setting.

So, who is using performance or conservative for fixed OR scaling and what settings are you using?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/24/2010 at 12:38 PM.
    after you calibrate your battery with dr.battery i noticed much better battery life. im on a fixed speed of 1ghz and my battery life on a 1400mAh extended is awesome. i can easily go 24hrs or more now.
  8.    #8  
    Are you using the performance or conservative setting?

I'm on a Mugen and I'm only getting about 1300mAh and it won't calibrate above 91%, so I am waiting on a replacement before I calibrate again.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    after you calibrate your battery with dr.battery i noticed much better battery life. im on a fixed speed of 1ghz and my battery life on a 1400mAh extended is awesome. i can easily go 24hrs or more now.
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/24/2010 at 01:33 PM.
    i am currently using a 1000mhz/250ghz screen state w/ tweaked voltages.
    and i find that when i am streaming pandora with the screen off or talking on the phone i notice almost no lag at all.

but i do note that i stream pandora over wifi not over 3g connections.
    and i do notice increased battery life in my device with these new settings.

but like everyone else has been saying not everyones device is totally the same.
    "So you can run and tell that, homeboy"
  10.    #10  
    If I may ask... What kind of battery life are you getting? And, what kind of stuff do you generally do with your Pre?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    i am currently using a 1000mhz/250ghz screen state w/ tweaked voltages.
    and i find that when i am streaming pandora with the screen off or talking on the phone i notice almost no lag at all.

but i do note that i stream pandora over wifi not over 3g connections.
    and i do notice increased battery life in my device with these new settings.

but like everyone else has been saying not everyones device is totally the same.
    ...i find fixed 1ghz is best...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    If I may ask... What kind of battery life are you getting? And, what kind of stuff do you generally do with your Pre?

Thanks!
    well i'm a relatively light user. i take my phone to work in the morning (6am) at 100% battery. and throughout the day i usually text/email, use facebook/tweetme, and look through Newsroom among other things. and when i get home at about 3pm my battery is at about 60-55% depending on the usage.

but i do use mode switcher so when i'm at work i have a data on demand profile running. which means i only use data whenever an internet based application is open and turns data off when the apps are closed. and i credit most of my battery savings to that.
    "So you can run and tell that, homeboy"
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanguerrero View Post
    well i'm a relatively light user. i take my phone to work in the morning (6am) at 100% battery. and throughout the day i usually text/email, use facebook/tweetme, and look through Newsroom among other things. and when i get home at about 3pm my battery is at about 60-55% depending on the usage.

but i do use mode switcher so when i'm at work i have a data on demand profile running. which means i only use data whenever an internet based application is open and turns data off when the apps are closed. and i credit most of my battery savings to that.
    Thanks! That sounds like pretty much what I do, but I manage to eat through 2-3 batteries/charges in a day.

So... I went to mode switcher and it's not entirely intuitive. How do I set it to turn on/off data when I use email, browser, or whatever? Thanks again!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 10/25/2010 at 10:02 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
  14.    #14  
    Shifting back towards the original topic...

When using a fixed rate, is anyone using the conservative or on demand settings (as opposed to the performance setting)? If so, why?

When using CPU Scaling, who is using Conservative , On Demand, or Performance and what are the benefits?

I know (thanks to those that have replied) that there are some having luck with Screenstate set at lower screen-off speeds.

Honestly, I'm still confused as to why the slower speeds (125, 250), particularly in screen off, would burn more battery. Most actions that require the processor with the screen off are things like streaming audio or the MP3 player, which really need to run for a long time, using very little power. So, it would seem that a low screen off setting would be best. Running at 500Mhz with the screen off seems to be just the wrong speed (not fast enough or slow enough) to save power, when running screen off functions.

I'm also confused as to whether CPU Scaling is still considered a moot point, even though it's possible through Govnah/Uber. It was determined, some time ago, that the time and energy it takes to switch up and down speeds, was just too much to be worth it, and either the
    Shifting back towards the original topic...

When using a fixed rate, is anyone using the conservative or on demand settings (as opposed to the performance setting)? If so, why?

When using CPU Scaling, who is using Conservative , On Demand, or Performance and what are the benefits?

I know (thanks to those that have replied) that there are some having luck with Screenstate set at lower screen-off speeds.

Honestly, I'm still confused as to why the slower speeds (125, 250), particularly in screen off, would burn more battery. Most actions that require the processor with the screen off are things like streaming audio or the MP3 player, which really need to run for a long time, using very little power. So, it would seem that a low screen off setting would be best. Running at 500Mhz with the screen off seems to be just the wrong speed (not fast enough or slow enough) to save power, when running screen off functions.

I'm also confused as to whether CPU Scaling is still considered a moot point, even though it's possible through Govnah/Uber. It was determined, some time ago, that the time and energy it takes to switch up and down speeds, was just too much to be worth it, and either the
    The reason why i wrote it to default to 500MHz was to put the phone back to "stock" freq when screen is off. So the comments of worse battery life is misleading. The CPU is running at a lower voltage and lower freq, while also not running at such a pityful speed like 125-250Mhz.

So the question really is why on earth would you need to run at full speed when the screen is off? If you have alot of radio intensive functions running while the screen is off then your battery drain is really the radio and having the CPU/OS runqueue active keeping the phone awake waiting for data.
    Live free or DIE!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    The reason why i wrote it to default to 500MHz was to put the phone back to "stock" freq when screen is off. So the comments of worse battery life is misleading. The CPU is running at a lower voltage and lower freq, while also not running at such a pityful speed like 125-250Mhz.

So the question really is why on earth would you need to run at full speed when the screen is off? If you have alot of radio intensive functions running while the screen is off then your battery drain is really the radio and having the CPU/OS runqueue active keeping the phone awake waiting for data.
    So... if I keep all radios off except the phone, and, possibly, data, when not in use, then 500/1GHZ screenstate is worth a try?

But... if I am streaming audio, or listening to MP3's, there might be an advantage to running 125 or 250 in screen-off mode? i.e. am I saving any battery life? OR, are you saying it's the radio, not the processor, so running at lower than 500Mhz speeds isn't going to help?

What about CPU Scaling? If I run 500/1GHZ "conservative", then aren't I taking advantage of the same things when the screen is off, as with screenstate? But, aren't there additional advantages because it scales up and down the range, as-needed? Are there benefits to scaling running "conservative" vs "on demand" vs "performance" mode? Is one best for balancing performance and battery life?

Lastly, what if I am just reading a book or maybe even checking out this site? Is there a good config so I am burning less power for such things? I can kill half my battery in just an hour or so of reading, even with the brightness turned off.

Thanks!
    Your best bet is to test them out... I'm convinced the race to idle theory holds the most weight.
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by unixpsycho View Post
    So the question really is why on earth would you need to run at full speed when the screen is off?
    I would think you could tell us that?! Just thought of one....charging, it charges faster on performance 1ghz...for me anyway...
    So... if I keep all radios off except the phone, and, possibly, data, when not in use, then 500/1GHZ screenstate is worth a try?

But... if I am streaming audio, or listening to MP3's, there might be an advantage to running 125 or 250 in screen-off mode? i.e. am I saving any battery life? OR, are you saying it's the radio, not the processor, so running at lower than 500Mhz speeds isn't going to help?

Lastly, what if I am just reading a book or maybe even checking out this site? Is there a good config so I am burning less power for such things? I can kill half my battery in just an hour or so of reading, even with the brightness turned off.

Thanks!
    I think what Unix is saying is that your radios are the culprits really. An active radio keeps the processor active. So if you are streaming audio from the web you will use far more battery power than simply playing mp3's stored on your Pre. If you are browsing the PreCentral site you will use far more power than reading a book that is stored on your Pre. Now, if you are listening to MP3's and your screen is off, you will use less power than reading a book where the screen is on since the Pre does not use e-paper technology like the Kindle.

If you are trying to save power while using the wifi or 3G radios and the screen is on, the benefits of running a slower CPU speed or lower screen brightness will likely be negligible.

If you turn off all data radios and just have the phone radio on for receiving phone calls and SMS msgs you will have amazing battery life (unless you are roaming). But if you can stay in that state most of the time.... why even have a smartphone?

There are times when I can switch to airplane mode through most of a day and really extend my battery life, but those are when I'm traveling down the backroads and highways on my Harley with my buds. The rest of the time my Pre is a data hungry, graphics intensive, speed crazed, power consuming beast that never gets far from a Touchstone!
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 10/26/2010 at 06:47 AM.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    I think what Unix is saying is that your radios are the culprits really. An active radio keeps the processor active. So if you are streaming audio from the web you will use far more battery power than simply playing mp3's stored on your Pre. If you are browsing the PreCentral site you will use far more power than reading a book that is stored on your Pre. Now, if you are listening to MP3's and your screen is off, you will use less power than reading a book where the screen is on since the Pre does not use e-paper technology like the Kindle.

If you are trying to save power while using the wifi or 3G radios and the screen is on, the benefits of running a slower CPU speed or lower screen brightness will likely be negligible.

If you turn off all data radios and just have the phone radio on for receiving phone calls and SMS msgs you will have amazing battery life (unless you are roaming). But if you can stay in that state most of the time.... why even have a smartphone?

There are times when I can switch to airplane mode through most of a day and really extend my battery life, but those are when I'm traveling down the backroads and highways on my Harley with my buds. The rest of the time my Pre is a data hungry, graphics intensive, speed crazed, power consuming beast that never gets far from a Touchstone!
    Well said.
    Live free or DIE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast