Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

Recently I sent donations to several developers. I know they weren't huge (5 USD), but that's what I can afford right now. I was planning to send more when I can. But I noticed something strange. After more than a week, not a single developer said "Thank you".

Now, like I said, the donations weren't a lot. I wasn't looking for an effusive response. To be honest, I wasn't EXPECTING ANY response. It wasn't until later when NO one sent anything that the absence of response even registered.

I certainly don't expect any response from a developer when I buy something from the App Catalog. But Homebrew developers solicit donations and receive donations out of appreciation. I can't imagine that the donations come so fast and furious that not a single developer couldn't spare a moment to dash of a simple "Thanks". Even Goodwill sends a thank you for a bag of old clothes.

Like I said, I wasn't EXPECTING a response when I donated, but was surprised when there were NONE. Is this the "response" others are receiving? Is this the type of response that engenders good will? Am I asking too much? Should continued development be thanks enough?

I've never been in a situation like this before. Software I've purchased has always been a straight purchase whether boxed or shareware. I've never "paid" ina scenario where the money is sent in response to a solicited donation. What is the expectation supposed to be?

I'm NOT criticizing, I'm asking for guidance here.

Signed,
    Curious
    as it is a donation I don't expect a personal thank you from devs. It would be a nice touch, but the best "thank you" would be to keep developing there programs IMHO.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    If your compelled to donate to a dev, then that would mean the software was worth it and would be thanks enough. I don't expect any thanks for donating to someone that makes my phone better for free.
    ... I've never thought about a thank you note back from a developer before. I guess if that's how you feel, then that's how you feel on this matter.

Maybe they should consider start sending out a thank you message, so that no one would feel unappreciated.

I hope this does not affect your continual support towards our developers.

Best regards. :-)
    The way I see this is if you are donating that is YOU THANKING THEM. How many people thank people for saying thank you???
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    So then they should send "You're welcome" responses
    well, to be fair think about it from their point.if the developers of Angry Birds sent out a thank you to every one that bought their game, they would not have time to create more Angry Birds. If they sent you an auto generated message via email, some might take that as spam, I know I don't want more junk bot emails.
    I always thought the donation was YOU saying thankyou to them...

i'd rather them focus on developing new stuff than saying 'your welcome' to everyone.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 10/23/2010 at 08:49 AM.
    I would say thanks back to anyone who gave me a donation especially if i didn't get to many... but thats me kinda like the salvation army... they say thanks every time i drop some change in.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I have given several small donations. One did send me a thank you. I didn't really expect one but I admit it did make me feel good.
    the dev says thanks by putting their time into building great stuff used by thousands of people that don't donate.

and any time spent thanking you is time away from developing.

so, I would like to give the OP a big public THANKS for all your past and future donations. Since I am not a developer, no homebrewing time was used in the making of this thank you.

ps. No need to thank me.
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Have you ever heard of the little country restaurant that didn't have a price list for their food? You just eat and leave what it's worth to you on the counter. Some eat and cheat, some pay more and, in the end, hopefully it evens out.

I've always considered these 'donations' as more of that kind of payment. In reality, it's a payment for value received. I don't really care if I get a 'thanks hon'...my belly's full and I'm content.
    FrankenPre2!!!
  13.    #13  
    You're misunderstanding me. I'm not complaining about no thank you. I sent the donations because I'm grateful for their work. I'm asking what SHOULD one expect. I don't know, so I asked.
    one SHOULD expect them to keep supporting and developing their stuff to work with newer releases of webOS.

nothing worse than a great patch that doesn't get updated.

I think expecting communication from the dev other than in the forums is unreasonable.

just my opinion as a non-developer.

ps, show your thanks to jason by joining the facebook group calling for palm to hire him...
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    You're misunderstanding me. I'm not complaining about no thank you. I sent the donations because I'm grateful for their work. I'm asking what SHOULD one expect. I don't know, so I asked.
    You did the right thing by donating. You enjoyed their work well enough to donate. Why should it matter if they say thanks?

I'm not a dev so I'm with cantaffordit......THANK YOU for donating!!
    Wellllllllll.......On the bright side. They are still developing apps and patches for you. So i guess you can consider that your personal "thank you". Your phone would definitely suck without them. Especially without Jason R, Rbwhitby and Unix.
    To clarify the answers to your question, it looks like the consensus here is that you should not expect a verbal response from the dev and should not ordinarily be surprised or hold it against them when one does not come. The two rationales are:

1. By giving a donation after using an app, it is actually considered to be YOU thanking the DEV.

or

2. The dev is giving you thanks implicitly by working towards further development for your benefit with that money.

Rest assured, you did indeed do a good thing by donating. 8-)
    I don't think it is unreasonable to hope to get a thank you note from a homebrew developer you've donated to.
    donate to BFG maps and you will get what you want !! he's an awesome dev. !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    i think there hard work for no pay is thanks enough
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast