Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I just got a used Pre, and noticed that there are a lot of minuscule scratches on the screen. They are really only visible when the phone is off and at an angle, but they are there nonetheless. Has anyone here tried resurfacing their screen? I was thinking that something like the automotive headlight restorer stuff might work, but I wanted to ask around first. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Haven't tried it, but I'd think the headlight stuff might be too abrasive. Novus makes a nice kit (three bottles - heavy scratch, fine scratch, and polish I think), the polish might work.

Disclaimer - use at your own risk.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks. I may try that.
    There were many threads on this in the past. I don't think that using something like that worked though.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks. I was planning on getting a screen protector anyway. Maybe I'll just try that first and see if it hides them enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjenson1 View Post
    Thanks. I was planning on getting a screen protector anyway. Maybe I'll just try that first and see if it hides them enough.
    That would *definitely* be my first suggestion. The PhantomSKinz are very inexpensive, relatively easy to put on, and should hide small scratches (and maybe some pretty big ones). Most importantly it's non-destructive ... if it doesn't work you've only wasted $5 and 30 min of your time. If you start using some sort of abrasive, it's not reversible if it goes badly.
    Yeah...don't do this. If you're not careful you can destroy your touchscreen (by removing too much plastic)
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks for the advice guys. I really wasn't wanting to use any abrasives on the screen. I was hoping that since this has a plastic screen there would be many here that have the same issue and that maybe there was some sort of liquid that would "fill in" minor scratches on the plastic.......sort of like how glass repair kits fill in a crack on a windshield, but on a much smaller scale. Maybe something you could wipe over the screen and let dry, then put a screen protector on. It was just a thought.
    Maguiars Plastic Polish from any auto supply store. Removes/minimizes fine scratches and adds light, protective coating (will feel "squeeky"). Just a gentle application, as instructed. No pressure or excessive rubbing.

If you rub too much, you will take the coating off your phone and it will look terrible. ONLY do as instructed. Then use a protector.