Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. chrono807's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #1  
    I bought a used Pre Plus last night... Doctored it, and from the stock OS load, I installed PreWare, Uberkernel, and Govnah, as well as two patches - 4x4 icons and the Facebook "spoof". I'm running at the default CPU speed because I wanted to get a baseline first (userstate 500mhz).

    I've got the following:

    * Facebook 20 minute updates
    * IM client signed into AIM, Gtalk, and Facebook
    * Synergy - Google, Yahoo, Facebook
    * Yahoo and Gmail set to As Items Arrive
    * Spaz set to complete manual, Twitter only
    * ...... that's it. Literally, I have nothing else.

    I'm losing almost 10% per hour. Idle. If I'm using it, it gets far worse, I got stuck in traffic on the way home today and lost 10% in 20 MINUTES using IM.

    On a side note, does anyone know if HP/Palm will finally be releasing the Mojo Messaging Service with WebOS 2.0? I haven't been able to read all the coverage yet, but it seems like Mojo could potentially help the IM battery drain, as well as giving Facebook true push like the Blackberry and iPhone FB apps have.
  2. #2  
    that doesn't seem out of line. the biggest battery loss comes from the 3g radio, which is used heavily in your scenario. Especially IM activity which is pretty constant.

    You should get a touchstone for your car...

    when I'm really using the phone a lot I get about 6 hours total at best.
  3. #3  
    The 'as items arrive' setting can be pretty brutal. There is a thread somewhere devoted to battery saving tips. Thought it was a sticky but guess not.
  4. chrono807's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #4  
    So what's the word on Mojo - I just found a thread on Mojo MESSENGER, but not the Mojo Messaging service. I assume they'll go hand in hand? I haven't had a chance to scour all the WebOS2 coverage yet, have they announced anything about Mojo?

    That would be a beautiful thing - move the IM accounts server-side (like Beejive for Blackberry), and use push to send messages to the UI. The great thing with Beejive is that even if I'm in edge, if I make a phone call, my AIM, Gtalk, and FB connections "survive" The call... meaning that even though I can't send or receive until I get off the phone, my contacts still see me as online, and the messages flow in when I hang up.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    The 'as items arrive' setting can be pretty brutal. There is a thread somewhere devoted to battery saving tips. Thought it was a sticky but guess not.
    I thought that helps battery? Instead of pinging the server every half hour or so it'll only ping it when new email has arrived? Or am I misunderstanding that setting?
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  6. #6  
    With Instant message on, yeah that sounds about right.

    Turn off IM unless you need to use it to conserve battery.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    I thought that helps battery? Instead of pinging the server every half hour or so it'll only ping it when new email has arrived? Or am I misunderstanding that setting?
    When you do it as it arrives everytime you get an email it updates and uses more battery. IE, it's constantly looking to see if something arrived. Kinda like when you keep refreshing the browser. If you set it for a certain time to check it uses less. I actually have it set to manual because I have 5 e-mail accounts on it.
    Last edited by cowgirlupkelly; 10/22/2010 at 12:55 PM.
  8. #8  
    The most battery consuming activity you have is IM, disable it and you'll see... it sucks, because synergy+messaging plugins = being online w/all your contacts, at the expense of heavy battery drain :'(
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

    Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
  9. chrono807's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    The most battery consuming activity you have is IM, disable it and you'll see... it sucks, because synergy+messaging plugins = being online w/all your contacts, at the expense of heavy battery drain :'(
    Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. HP needs to finish the Mojo messaging framework and use that for IM in WebOS2
  10. j6ck83's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    When you do it as it arrives everytime you get an email it updates and uses more battery. IE, it's constantly looking to see if something arrived. Kinda like when you keep refreshing the browser. If you set it for a certain time to check it uses less. I actually have it set to manual because I have 5 e-mail accounts on it.
    Your explanation doesn't really make sense to me. Yahoo and Gmail are imap and from what I understand new messages are pushed to the device. So there is no need for it to constantly check if something has arrived.

    If you have 5 email accounts and are constantly getting emails on each I can see how it would drain your battery more than if your have a set interval. Getting all new emails every 1 hour would be more battery efficient than having emails pushed every 30 secs.

    So it really depends on how often you get emails...if not so often that I would say "as it arrives" is more efficient.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by j6ck83 View Post
    Your explanation doesn't really make sense to me. Yahoo and Gmail are imap and from what I understand new messages are pushed to the device. So there is no need for it to constantly check if something has arrived. ... .So it really depends on how often you get emails...if not so often that I would say "as it arrives" is more efficient.
    I guess I get a lot of e-mails on my 2 gmail and 1 yahoo accounts (and 2 comcast). I was explained that it constant looks for the push and that takes up battery. Of course I'm techno-dumb (and ain't afraid to admit) and I could be mistaken or misunderstanding it.
  12. #12  
    Actually I think your both right, it depends on how palm has push set up. I'm not sure how it is, but I remember on my iPhone 3G, before the 3.0 update came out it was how cowgirl explained, it was constally searching for new email, then after the 3.0 update, it was push, so the phone was connected and instead when a new email would arrive the service would push a notification to the phone telling it to connect to receive the new email. So I guess it all dependes on how it's set up on webos. I only have one account and get maybe 5 emails a day, but when I do I have to respond right away, so I have mine set up as they come and haven't noticed a hit in battery.
    iPhone 4s 64gb for personal, at&t Prē 3 for business. Best of both worlds.
  13. #13  
    push email is generally better for battery life.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrono807 View Post
    I bought a used Pre Plus last night... Doctored it, and from the stock OS load, I installed PreWare, Uberkernel, and Govnah, as well as two patches - 4x4 icons and the Facebook "spoof". I'm running at the default CPU speed because I wanted to get a baseline first (userstate 500mhz).

    I've got the following:

    * Facebook 20 minute updates
    * IM client signed into AIM, Gtalk, and Facebook
    * Synergy - Google, Yahoo, Facebook
    * Yahoo and Gmail set to As Items Arrive
    * Spaz set to complete manual, Twitter only
    * ...... that's it. Literally, I have nothing else.

    I'm losing almost 10% per hour. Idle. If I'm using it, it gets far worse, I got stuck in traffic on the way home today and lost 10% in 20 MINUTES using IM.

    On a side note, does anyone know if HP/Palm will finally be releasing the Mojo Messaging Service with WebOS 2.0? I haven't been able to read all the coverage yet, but it seems like Mojo could potentially help the IM battery drain, as well as giving Facebook true push like the Blackberry and iPhone FB apps have.
    That drainage seem pretty much what most users experience. Using IM drains your batt faster than anything else. I just keep my phone plug up to my charger whenever I'm using my phone.

    ...also you can get the app call Dr. Battery, and check your batt life.http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-battery.html.

    cheers..
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    ...also you can get the app call Dr. Battery, and check your batt life.http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...r-battery.html.
    cheers..
    Before changing any setting you really should check (and calibrate) the battery with Dr.Battery
  16. chrono807's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
       #16  
    Ok so here's another idea I had - I've been searching this forum and Google in general to find out if any of the standalone IM apps are more battery efficient than the stock one. From what I've seen it looks like our options are basically Mundu or Agile - am I missing any? I've seen reviews stating that Agile is a battery hog. Has anybody tried one or both and can comment on the battery impact?

    I'm running Dr. Battery right now as suggested - I reset the health, it was showing up as 98%.
  17. azumak's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #17  
    There's tons of ways to get more battery life, but I think managing your radios is one of the best ways. Wi-fi is much better for battery life, but not if you don't have a network. Turn off bluetooth and GPS radios when not in use. If you need to stay on IM then bump down to forced 2G network as it'll handle that amount of data just fine. I highly recommend adding radio control options to your device menu through patches. And as someone said, touchstone in the car! It's a godsend.

    If you're into more complex homebrewing, there's a really nice Mode Switcher profile that will maximize battery life, but I haven't tried it out yet!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by j6ck83 View Post
    Your explanation doesn't really make sense to me. Yahoo and Gmail are imap and from what I understand new messages are pushed to the device. So there is no need for it to constantly check if something has arrived.

    If you have 5 email accounts and are constantly getting emails on each I can see how it would drain your battery more than if your have a set interval. Getting all new emails every 1 hour would be more battery efficient than having emails pushed every 30 secs.

    So it really depends on how often you get emails...if not so often that I would say "as it arrives" is more efficient.

    IMAP does not push. It simply allows you to synchronize similar to an exchange server.

    There is a more detailed explanation somewhere in another thread but here's the 50,000 foot view:

    For push technology to work, the mail server has to know where to push the mail to and when the recipient is available to receive it. "As they arrive" essentially requires the phone to remain logged in to the site. That's how the site knows where to push the mail. If the phone loses connection, it has to log back in.

    The way Blackberries and Treos handle this is that the providers have their own push service that maintains this connection. The providers always know how to reach your phone so the constant connection is not required. That's why the world grinds to a halt if RIM has a server outage while Pre and iPhone users go on their merry way still getting their emails...but at the cost of battery life.

    For battery saving, "Every 15 minutes" is better. And if you need up to the minute for certain messages, try an email filter on the server side that sends a text message when certain targeted messages come in.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!

Posting Permissions