View Poll Results: Do I replace my phone with a refurbished warranty replacement?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the phone with the crack and hope for the best

8 29.63%
  • Wait to see if the crack gets worse and then replace before 1yr warranty expires

6 22.22%
  • Replace the phone with a refurbished unit and hope it doesn't have any other problems

13 48.15%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I have this little crack, the dreaded crack at the USB door. I wasn't sure if it was a crack because it had an invisible shield on it. Now I am certain that it is a crack because I just had the shield replaced. My phone is in perfect condition otherwise, and I have never dropped it.

So do I ask to have my phone replaced? I know that if I do it will be a refurbished phone, and I don't want to end up with a phone that may have other problems. I do not have the problem with the phone rebooting when I close the slider hard and my phone is giving me no problems.

The crack has not gotten any bigger since I noticed it a couple months ago. So do I keep this phone and hope for the best or do I get a warranty replacement?
    you need a 4th choice: get the refurb and expect it to be in good shape. refurb isn't the same as used/defective. it should be like new or make them keep sending replacements.

I've had excellent luck with refurbs, pre and previous palm phones.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    If it were me, I'd keep the one you have for a couple of reasons. First, they probably won't do a warranty replacement since you have a crack. We all know that this is a design defect and that it isn't your fault, but you just know the tech you take it to will see "cosmetic damage" in the crack and it will be your fault. The other reason, however, is that you have a working Pre with a small crack. I'm on an original pre and I once feared I would have to exchange it for persistent stuck in headset mode problem. I was afraid because it seems that the replacement is invariably worse in every respect and should only be a final option. I have gone so far as to switch entirely to Bluetooth for headset operations. I never put anything in the headset jack anymore, and I use only Touchstones and WiFi media sync, so I very rarely use the actual USB port.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you need a 4th choice: get the refurb and expect it to be in good shape. refurb isn't the same as used/defective. it should be like new or make them keep sending replacements.

I've had excellent luck with refurbs, pre and previous palm phones.
    I would definitely keep sending them back if they send me ones with problems. I have had refurbs of other phones before with ok luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    If it were me, I'd keep the one you have for a couple of reasons. First, they probably won't do a warranty replacement since you have a crack. We all know that this is a design defect and that it isn't your fault, but you just know the tech you take it to will see "cosmetic damage" in the crack and it will be your fault. The other reason, however, is that you have a working Pre with a small crack. I'm on an original pre and I once feared I would have to exchange it for persistent stuck in headset mode problem. I was afraid because it seems that the replacement is invariably worse in every respect and should only be a final option. I have gone so far as to switch entirely to Bluetooth for headset operations. I never put anything in the headset jack anymore, and I use only Touchstones and WiFi media sync, so I very rarely use the actual USB port.
    I do not even use the USB door except for the occasional file transfer. I have a touchstone at my nightstand and one in my car.

ORRRRR.....

How about I wait as long as possible and hope they give me a Pre2????

Yeah I know, I can dream cant I?
    Last edited by jbg7474; 10/21/2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Cleaning up quote of rude post and discussion
    I got my original Pre replaced for this very reason. It started with a USB port crack that was slowly stretching up to my screen. The refurb that I got as a replacement has been wonderful!
    I got a replacement for this reason. But the crack had moved up to the edge of the screen over a two week period. I would politely ask for a replacement. If they say no, I would keep it until the crack has moved to the screen area and then DEMAND a new one.
    Replace it and if the refribished has problems keep replacing it until your satisfaction or they ban you from replacements.

I had to replace my phone due to (caused by operator error) an issue with the microphone/speaker. My replacement is exactly the same as my original except my little ball thingy is chromish looking now (and thats cool to me).
    Crack from the USB port to the screen is a know problem. But trying to convince Palm pre or service agent that this behavior is a manufacturing fault can be hard.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    i bought mine used and don't know if it was cracked when i got it or if i cracked it but as soon as i noticed it (after a couple days) i grabbed the piece and wiggled it back and forth until the other side broke off and now it's gone for good and never bugs me.

Side note, I also tore out the stupid rubber plug/bit that gets in the way of accessing the USB plug.
    I think having that crack is a right of passage for owning the pre or plus.

definitely a design defect, and hp has taken note by modifiying the design with the pre 2.

my crack is somewhat hidden by the grt case I have on the pre.

if it's otherwise functioning well, I would just stick with your current phone unless the crack extends into the screen space.
  11.    #11  
    I don't really care too much to go through the hassle of getting another phone not new in the box. My concern is that the crack may get bigger, but it has not yet. I will take a picture when I can and post it up. I just don't want to be out of warranty with a phone that ends up with a crack that ends up getting bigger to where it is on the screen too.

On a side note....wow the moderators are really paying attention
    There should be another option: Call Palm customer service, explain about the crack and that you use a touchstone. They will offer to repair the phone, accept and send it to them.
    Three days later you get your phone back with new plastics and pay only to ship it to them..

I am happy.

-C-
    yeah i have the same issue.. i just tried to call palm and get a refurb but got denied.. i even told them that the crack was blocking the USB port and i could only charge on touchstone. exact words "im sorry sir, but any cracks on the lcd automatically voids warranty for replacement. Would you like to send the pre plus into us so we can repair it?"
    -Me: "this would leave me without a phone for up to two weeks right?"

-Tech:" that is correct, the repair team will have to determine if the crack was caused by misuse or mishandling of the device"

-Me: "That is ridiculous you need to replace palms faulty hardware not try to pawn the issue off to user error"

-Tech: "im sorry sir but this is the only option that i am authorized to give you"

-Me: "i'd like to talk to someone with some more authority then."

-Tech: "right away sir ill transfer you to my team manager."

-=-=-=-=-==-==-THIS IS WHERE I GOT HUNG UP ON-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

horse crap
    call the carrier if the phone is still witjin the 1 year warranty.
    that doesn't work... calling the carrier. I just went to sprint with same issue (phone 6 months old) they added the insurance to my account and told me call in to assurion on november 1st to get it replaced.
    Quote Originally Posted by kody.thompson113 View Post
    yeah i have the same issue.. i just tried to call palm and get a refurb but got denied.. i even told them that the crack was blocking the USB port and i could only charge on touchstone. exact words "im sorry sir, but any cracks on the lcd automatically voids warranty for replacement. Would you like to send the pre plus into us so we can repair it?"
    -Me: "this would leave me without a phone for up to two weeks right?"

-Tech:" that is correct, the repair team will have to determine if the crack was caused by misuse or mishandling of the device"

-Me: "That is ridiculous you need to replace palms faulty hardware not try to pawn the issue off to user error"

-Tech: "im sorry sir but this is the only option that i am authorized to give you"

-Me: "i'd like to talk to someone with some more authority then."

-Tech: "right away sir ill transfer you to my team manager."

-=-=-=-=-==-==-THIS IS WHERE I GOT HUNG UP ON-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-

horse crap
    I had the same experience, except I had to hangup. Crack has since extended into the screen and seems to cause no issues.
    my experience with them was just the opposite. I hope they have a class action suit and go out of business based upon my chat and subsequent phone call. The crack on my usb port started outside of the warranty period. Read below:

If Toyota released a car with bad brake pedal and it had problems outside of the warranty period, would they take responsibility for it? Or, would they do an HP? which is to say, yes, the design was defective, now pay an additional $200.00 (actually $199) to get it taken care of since it is 'outside of the warranty'. Poor workmanship or design should not be rewarded with more money.

[7:33 AM] Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app01-07.logmeinrescue.com...
    [7:33 AM] Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    [7:33 AM] Chat session established with Vincent.
    [7:33 AM] D says: my phone as the design defect crack in its case at the usb port
    [7:33 AM] Vincent says: Hello Don. Thank you for contacting Palm Technical Support. How can I help you today?
    [7:34 AM] D says: i need the phone replaced, as this crack is not my fault, but one of poor design
    [7:34 AM] D says: Vincent, are you still with me?
    [7:35 AM] Vincent says: Yes, I'm with you
    [7:35 AM] Vincent says: I understand that the device has crack at USB and you would like to replace it.
    [7:36 AM] D says: yes. the bottom line is that i mostly use a touchstone, but ended up using a usb port to transfer pictures last week. i think that is why it did not develop earlier. my son's phone had the same crack.
    [7:37 AM] D says: i also note on the internet that i am not alone, these phones are prone to cracking. had you provided sprint with an updated phone, i would not be asking for a replacement of this one.
    [7:37 AM] Vincent says: I’m sorry for any trouble this may have caused.
    [7:37 AM] Vincent says: I'll be glad to assist with the issue.
    [7:37 AM] Vincent says: Can I have purchase date of the device?
    [7:37 AM] D says: thank you.
    [7:38 AM] D says: i orginally purchased it on the day it came on the market, but then it was replace two more times, once for a sticking key and then for another problem. so, unfortunatley do not remember when the last replace was. also, i have made this phone last longer by not using the usb port to charge it on a regular basis.
    [7:40 AM] Vincent says: From there did you purchase the device?
    [7:41 AM] Vincent says: *Where did you
    [7:41 AM] Vincent says: Sorry for typo.
    [7:41 AM] D says: sprint, green hills, nashville, tn
    [7:42 AM] Vincent says: Do you have Insurance from the carrier?
    [7:43 AM] D says: with a 100 deductible, for a design defect? that is like selling garbage and charging for it twice. i don't mind paying a deductible if i lost it, or broke it, but i did not do anything on this device but use it as it was intended.
    [7:44 AM] Vincent says: Can I have device serial number?
    [7:46 AM] D says: yes x5xx06xxxxh
    [7:47 AM] D says: the yes is on the front end of that x5xx06xxxxh
    [7:47 AM] Vincent says: Thank you for information provided.
    [7:47 AM] Vincent says: Can I have 3 minutes to work on this issue?
    [7:49 AM] D says: you can have longer if you can resolve the issue.
    [7:52 AM] Vincent says: Thank you for waiting, Don.
    [7:53 AM] D says: welcome
    [7:54 AM] Vincent says: As per our records you have purchase the device on 7/5/2009, So it is out of warranty.
    [7:54 AM] Vincent says: You can replace the device as Out of warranty device for that you need to contact the our Voice support.
    [7:55 AM] Vincent says: Once you contact them, they can help you with it.
    [7:56 AM] D says: so, had this been an iphone i would have gotten a new one in a year and not had this type of problem. if this cannot be solved,then i personally hope palm disappears since it has not earned by trust as a company.
    [7:56 AM] D says: do they have a phone number?
    [7:57 AM] Vincent says: You can contact our Voice Support team for Palm webOS products at 877-426-3777. Support is available Mon-Fri from 6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST and Sat-Sun from 8:00 AM PST to 5:00 PM PST.

They designed this phone in a mediocre manner, and used materials that could not take even minimal wear- and they don't stand behind their product, knowing it is a defective product. They denied any responsibility, even being passed up the food chain. There is a reason why companies fail- they provide no service, faulty products, or both. HP provides neither service not reliable products. They have inherited a nightmare, but they seem quite at home rolling in the dirt.
    i tired to argue this same thing when mine cracked. i took them in over a hundred pics i found online of peoples pres with the crack from the USB door and they still would not replace it. said it was not a MFG defect but something i did (because my USB door fell off). the only warranty they said they would replace is if the screen was web cracking from the bottom.

i actually laughed out loud because i remember when i was getting mine i said i hope mine dont do that (the web cracking thing). the lady told me just dont push on the bottom of the screen cause that is not a MFG defect either but a user problem. now they say they replace that.

its one reason i will not get the first new HPalm device. i will actually wait a couple of months and hope they work the bugs out, but i am hoping HP will make a solid product.
    Pre be with you.

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. -- Winston Churchill

Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities. -- Aldous Huxley
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    you all are hard on phones. I only charge by usb and have no problems at all. Still on my first sprint pre, 11 mos and counting!
    Ditto here. I did lose my USB cover (I actually played with it so much I pulled it out) but neither mine nor DH's has ever even had the appearance of a crack long there.
    New Story: I was one of those people who never had any issues with my 1/10 purchased Pre. After about 6 months the USB door fell out. It was a pretty big deal to get Palm to send me a new door. It never fit right and also fell out easily. Learned to happily live without it.

Just a few days ago I saw a crack on my USB port. I chatted with a Palm rep (Live Chat) and FINALLY got him to agree it was a hardware problem that was under warranty. I called the # he gave me to get the $29.95 replacement option.

I called the 877 number and they refused. They wanted $199.95 + $29.95. I was pretty mad and hung up on them. I had already located the 407 area code # from another thread and a few minutes later I tried that. I reached someone right away and she wanted to do the same thing. I politely insisted that the ISB port was a known common issue. She said she could give me a 'one time' courtesy replacement for the $29.95, so I ordered the refurb.

It seemed like an Act of Congress to get the replacement and I would never have received it were it not for this forum and the 'secret' 407 number (it's in one of these threads).

My upgrade date is just about 75 days away and boy am I going to be on the lookout for the latest and greatest. I really hope it's a superior HP/Palm product.

It's amazing how quickly my impression of the Pre (and Palm somewhat) changed so quickly. My love is tarnished and I hope I can get it back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast