Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Hi all,

I have decided to give the Pre a try due to all of the praises for Web OS here and other places. I had my daughter purchase a used Pre for Sprint from a lady on Craigslist (here's to praying the ESN is truly clear and everything works) and I should be receiving it today or tomorrow in the mail. I have been reading the forums quite a bit, and I certainly plan to add patches and overclock the phone when it gets here. My question is this......should I "doctor" the phone when I get it before I start to change anything else? From what I have read, I should definitely activate it with Sprint first and set up a Palm profile before doing anything, but then what? My daughter said she turned the phone on and a screen came up asking for Palm profile information, so I have to assume that the person selling it did a factory reset. Is that good enough or should I "doctor" it also? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    if it were me, I would doctor, and then a secure reset to make sure the USB drive has also been erased. then I'd start from their.

I always suggest that you create a new hotmail account (or other free email) to use with your palm profile. that way there are no messages or contacts and you can control when and how you sync to the accounts you use, and you will avoid putting contacts into your palm profile where they are hamstrung.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks. Good idea about the email. I'll do that. I assume that a 'secure reset' is like a factory reset in Android........it's done through the phone software itself?
    yes, once the phone is booted up go into the system preferences and do a "secure reset" which erases everything and takes you back to the blue cloud screen.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thank you for your help and advice. I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions once I get into the phone a little. It sounds like it is actually quite a device once you get it unlocked and set up right.
    it's even better than that! welcome to your new addiction!

what phone were you using before the Pre?
    after you transfer the ESN When you first turn the phone on it should immediately ask you to set up a Palm profile if it doesn't then I'd doctor it or at very least do a complete reset USB and all (in preferences)
    is there an echo in here?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Lol. I have been using Android phones since the G1. It's not that I don't like them, but I am a bit of a phone geek and like to try out what's out there. Part of me is sick of always pursuing the next best thing with these phones, so I just started searching for a simple phone that can do the few things I want it to (basic web, email, texts, news apps, and a few games), and that I can play with a bit from a hardware perspective.
    once you master the basic gestures of webos and see how easy it is to customize through preware - including overclocking to 1ghz - you will never want anything else. it's scary how that happens to people, including me.
    be aware. You WILL become a webos fan boy
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Well, that's what I am hoping for . I imagine that overclocking will be the first thing I do, but I love the idea of looking for unique and interesting homebrew apps. How does the Pre hold up temperature wise at 1 ghz? In fact, what temperature should I start to worry at?
    Quote Originally Posted by sjenson1 View Post
    Well, that's what I am hoping for . I imagine that overclocking will be the first thing I do, but I love the idea of looking for unique and interesting homebrew apps. How does the Pre hold up temperature wise at 1 ghz? In fact, what temperature should I start to worry at?
    No need to worry, Uberkernel has built in temp limit protection. It will drop to stock speeds at one temp and reset at one just a little higher than that, 50 and 55 Celsius are the default ones.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    That's cool. Any idea what percentage of the Pre's can actually run stable at 1ghz?
    100pct. It's 1.2 where it becomes ify.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    That's promising. Thanks for the reply.
    When you activateit you may need to do an RTN reset. If you do it online they have instructions and the secondaryy lock code is what you use for the MSL code it will ask for. This drove me nuts for two days when trying to activate my old Pixi on my wifes account.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    100pct. It's 1.2 where it becomes ify.
    Not true! There are some, including mine, that cannot run over 900.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    What is a RTN reset? Also, does the website give you the secondary lock code when you try to activate the phone? I haven't activated a phone online before.
    If you have trouble activating, just talk to Sprint customer care. Phone or online, either way. They will walk you through the RTN process and give you a "One time code" that is actually the MSL. They just don't tell you it's the MSL because they like to keep that number private.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast