Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    new here but wanted to post something. I just got a palm pre from someone to replace my blackberry. So far the phone is great but I am worried about the battery. It seems that when I have the phone open and doing things that the arear under the battery gets really warm. It will go away if I close the phone and stop using it. The other issue is that the battery seems to die way too fast. I unplugged the phone at 730am today and by 930a I was down to 86% battery and I hadn't even used it. Now after typing this messge I have 76% battery. I can't make it to 5pm without being under 15% battery. What the hell is going on with this thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gachrid View Post
    new here but wanted to post something. I just got a palm pre from someone to replace my blackberry. So far the phone is great but I am worried about the battery. It seems that when I have the phone open and doing things that the arear under the battery gets really warm. It will go away if I close the phone and stop using it. The other issue is that the battery seems to die way too fast. I unplugged the phone at 730am today and by 930a I was down to 86% battery and I hadn't even used it. Now after typing this messge I have 76% battery. I can't make it to 5pm without being under 15% battery. What the hell is going on with this thing?
    On the question for warmth, are you over-clocked?

On the comment of battery, that's kinda the Palm Pre, sorry to say.
    I suggest: start in the "tips and tricks" forum, then search and read, your "issue" has been discussed at length. You may also want to post in the correct forum as I doubt you have a pre2....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    On the question for warmth, are you over-clocked?

On the comment of battery, that's kinda the Palm Pre, sorry to say.
    I doubt the OP knows what over-clocking is. Battery life is great on my device with the proper settings....palm just failed to optimize the device properly out-of-box IMHO
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    Battery life is great on my device with the proper settings....
    That's a comment I've never heard about a Pre.

Are you suggesting that the Pre Plus is better with battery than the Original Pre? [Since I only had the original pre]
    I think there are threads about saving battery. Set email to "as it arrives," logg off IM, turn off gps, wifi, bluetooth when not in use. Turn down screen brightness. Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    I think there are threads about saving battery. Set email to "as it arrives," logg off IM, turn off gps, wifi, bluetooth when not in use.
    I would adjust to say he should use Wifi whenever possible.
    I would adjust to say he should use Wifi whenever possible.
    ya, "when in use"
  9.    #9  
    I will take a look at the tips and tricks. I don't know if I'm over-clocking. Not sure how to check that but the phone was reset when I activated it so I figured that would be reset. I'll do some setting changes and hopefully that will help. I knew the battery life was some what weak on these phones before I bought it but the amount of battery I lose throug the day without really using the phone is just crazy. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum too. I thought the pre2 was the pre plus. This can be moved if that's easier for people.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I understand how other smartphones seem to suck juice when you're used to BlackBerry. If you go to the Palm.com, there is a support page with tips for increasing battery life. I follow the suggestions and my battery life has improved dramatically from when I first got my phone.

Scroll to the bottom of this page: Palm Support : Palm Pre Plus for Verizon - My battery drains quickly
    The area you're talking about is where the radio trasmitter is, thus, causing the phone to feel quite warm. This however is normal when using the phone. If it was getting hot to the point of you can't hold it, then that would be considered abnormal.

The battery issue is yet another ongoing problem on all smart phones, not just the palm pre/plus phones. That will be fix when they(Batt manufacturer) make better batteries.

I would recommend having the phone plug up when using for a long period of time, or getting an additional battery. Battery life on smart phones sucks period.

Enjoy your phone nonetheless..:-D
    I will take a look at the tips and tricks. I don't know if I'm over-clocking. Not sure how to check that but the phone was reset when I activated it so I figured that would be reset. I'll do some setting changes and hopefully that will help. I knew the battery life was some what weak on these phones before I bought it but the amount of battery I lose throug the day without really using the phone is just crazy. Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum too. I thought the pre2 was the pre plus. This can be moved if that's easier for people.
    If you don't know if you're overclocking, and if the phone was reset before you received it, then you're not lol.
    until you have ten posts you won't be able to see any links we post for you, so you will have to do some searching in the forums.

several things to get you started:

1) find the sticky thread about battery saving tips. it will give you lots of tricks for turning off radios you aren't using (like the gps when you are inside and the 3g radio when you are using wifi). things that save battery also tend to reduce heat.

2) consider getting the Preware app - it is the source of much homebrew goodness. you will want to get an app called govnah that will tell you the CPU temp, which is more important than the battery temp (unless the battery is too hot to touch, which isn't likely).

3) also get an app called "Dr. Battery" because it will help you condition your battery and tell you if your battery has diminished capacity (which happens to all batteries with normal usage). It may be time for a new battery, and an opportunity to consider an extended battery.

4) keep in mind that the most battery use and heat comes from using the 3g radio to access the web, download games, etc. The pre is so much fun that people don't realize that they are using it constantly. Also, using background tasks like frequent polling of facebook and email accounts will use lots of battery even if you aren't talking on the phone. When I am using the web a lot my Pre runs out of battery in about 5 hours. I carry a spare battery...

5) once you have determined you have a healthy battery and have optimized for good battery life - consider getting an extended battery. It makes the phone bigger, but you can buy bateries from companies like Mugen that will double or triple the size of the battery.

6) make sure you get a touchstone if you don't already have one. It's great to keep your battery topped off because it's a wireless charger. you just set your phone on it and the phone charges through an electromagnetic transfer. verizon is selling them in bundles with really nice car chargers for 15.00 delivered via fedex. the charger they include sells in their retail stores for $30 so it's a bargain. Get one for your desk, your house, and your car. I have 8 of them littered around my house, office and car. best accessory ever, especially at the blow out price vzw has for that bundle.

I hope this helps. Once you have 10 posts we will be able to provide links for you to follow, but by then you will be a pro at searching the forums. start by reading the sticky introduction threads in each subforum.

searching tip: once you want to start searching for specific terms or questions, use google and include forums.precentral.net in your search criteria. that works much better than the search capabilities in this forum. also, if you want to use the forum search tool, use the advanced search to just search thread titles. you can change your profile to make that your default search method so you don't have to click "advanced" every time.

welcome to webOS... your new addiction.
  14.    #14  
    thanks for the help thus far guys. I have installed preware already so I will take a look for those two apps that were mentioned. I'll also keep searching and yeah i'm going to grab extra batteries. Thaks. Hopefully i'll get 10 posts quickly to few the links.
    That's a comment I've never heard about a Pre.

Are you suggesting that the Pre Plus is better with battery than the Original Pre? [Since I only had the original pre]
    ...then you've not read any of my posts.... My battery life is light years beyond what it was out-of-box....i credit 1ghz set speed...

I don't suggest that the pre+ has better batt life than a pre, but if I were to wager on it i'd bet on the pre+ since it has more ram...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...then you've not read any of my posts.... My battery life is light years beyond what it was out-of-box....i credit 1ghz set speed...

I don't suggest that the pre+ has better batt life than a pre, but if I were to wager on it i'd bet on the pre+ since it has more ram...
    I haven't really seen your posts or certainly not remembered it was you.

I think my mom would be interested in what you do because her battery, in an eight hour period of sitting at work not being used, is dead.
  17.    #17  
    I've downloaded some apps, changed some settings and I'm watching the battery. Since 530pm I've lost 10% battery. So that seems better than it was this morning. By 2pm today I was down to 13% battery. 87% lost in 7hrs ha. I'll keep looking around and I'm going to get a touchstone and extra battery. What can I use to change the extra battery tho? There is that little black case that chargers the batteries but everywhere I look is out of stock.
    battery dying quickly without touching the phone typically happens if you are ina bad network connection area since the device keeps checking for service. Once I had the patch for roaming settings in the top bar I change it to roam always when I get to work and get 3 to 5 % drop in 5 hours as opposed to 80%
    I have also reduced the amount of tasks it does in the background.
  19.    #19  
    well I adjusted the phone to only use one network instead of switching between the strongest signal. That seems to be helping but it still losses battery quickly. In an hour I've lost 3% already and haven't even touched the phone. Just seems like that's way too much battery lose. What else can I change? How do I adjust the background apps and stuff?
    you do have to keep in mind that most other smartphones have a 1400 - 1550 mAH battery PRE ships with 1100 mAH if I remember correctly. Plus PRE does a lot of stuff in the bacground that none of the other OSes do e.g on my PRE familyfonefiner app updates it's website every hour even though I do not have it open. The same is true for wall paper switcharoo which changes wall paper every 30 min. My gtalk and yahoo messenger accounts are also logged in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast