Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I was reinstalling Preware via WebOSQuickInstall after accidentally deleting it. And due to my luck, during the process I receive a phone call but I decide to leave it in case something might happen to the phone, but it happens anyway the phone freezes showing the option to call the contact back.

I wait for a few minutes hoping it will regain its consciousness. Nothing!
    Tried doing a soft reset. Nothing! No response at all.

After feeling sceptical about taking the battery out, I went for it and now my Pre won't turn on, can't even get it into recovery mode. I had important messages and call logs in there that I need, I really liked my Pre and it's only been roughly 4 months of using it.

Any suggestions, desperately in need of help. Thanks in advance.
    Palm Pre is like an iPhone 5G, WebOS is unique.
    1) Turn your Pre completely off. If you can't turn it off, remove the battery to kill it. If you have to take the battery out, leave it out until I tell you to put it back it.
    2) Plug your Pre into the USB port on your computer.
    3) Press and hold the volume up button. Do NOT let go of the volume up button until I tell you to.
    4) Turn on your Pre. If you had to remove the battery, put it back in now.
    5) Within a few seconds at most, (maybe instantly) you should see a large USB symbol that fills the screen of the Pre. Once you see that symbol, you can let go of the volume up button.
    6) On your desktop run the WebOSDoctor.

I got this from here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/1971994-post15.html

one of many posts that include this method. I've used this method once, and it worked perfectly. It's pretty much impossible to truly brick a pre.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for your time but I may then be the first to brick a Pre because it is completely disfunctional the process you showed me to get it into recovery mode doesn't work, but thank you for your time.

Any other suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by bawezy View Post
    Thank you for your time but I may then be the first to brick a Pre because it is completely disfunctional the process you showed me to get it into recovery mode doesn't work, but thank you for your time.

Any other suggestions?
    Yes! go here: http://ws.palm.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5.    #5  
    Thanks but that didn't work either, I can't get my computer to detect the phone.

Any other suggestions?
  6.    #6  
    So I guess a Pre really can get bricked then
    So your Pre screen simply stays black no matter what with the battery in properly, plugged directly into wall charger, or connected to a computer using the OEM USB cable?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Thanks but that didn't work either, I can't get my computer to detect the phone.

Any other suggestions?
    sometimes you have to reboot your pc and/or try another usb port. something about the novacom stuff can be tempermental. also be sure to use the palm cable as I've had trouble with some cheap aftermarket stuff.

reboot your pc with nothing attached, and then try it all again.

also, you have to have a certain level of battery charge (i think it's 30%) or the doctor won't run...
    also, I see you are in london. what phone/carrier are you on? make sure you have the correct version of the doctor. you can't brick the phone with the doctor. it's possible that the hardware has failed, but that would be a coincidence.
  10.    #10  
    @pastorrich1: Yes the phone doesn't respond to anything. However the phone burns up
    when I plug it to the wall charger, but there is no indication on the screen when plugged in.

@Cantaffordit: Rebooting your PC means restarting the Novacom background service through services.msc, and yes I tried that but the phone doesn't even get in to recovery mode for the PC to detect it. My charge was at around 90% when the phone decided to not respond so there should be enough juice to get it going.

Could it be something to do with the hardware rather than software?
  11.    #11  
    I'am on 3-UK, however the phone was originally locked to O2, when brought. Unlocked it via nextgen. And yes I might have to agree that it's the hardware. Can the phone still be accessed to restore important information?
    I'am on 3-UK, however the phone was originally locked to O2, when brought. Unlocked it via nextgen. And yes I might have to agree that it's the hardware. Can the phone still be accessed to restore important information?
    Yep sounds like a type of power supply failure. I wouldn't consider that a "bricked phone" though. My impression of bricking is software induced and un-recoverable failure. I could be wrong though. If the hardware issue were fixed it is entirely possible that your data is still available and recoverable. You can send the device to Palm and pay to have it repaired.

Did you try plugging the phone into the charger without the battery installed?
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all your support
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes I did, still no hope.
    Yes I did, still no hope.
    And you did use the OEM cable and charger to do so?
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Any other suggestions?
    Get a better phone. Pre is practically dead now.
    Get with your local carrier or palm and have one of them send you a loaner at no charge.. then send your pre to palm and tell them your story. "might leave out the fact that you unlocked it though. Your data is fine unles something corrupted your mem.

prolly a power supply failure you may have just bruned out your batt sensors
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    And you did use the OEM cable and charger to do so?
    Yes, I haven't used any other cable besides the OEM since I bought the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkchomp View Post
    Get a better phone. Pre is practically dead now.
    I prefer the Pre to any other phone thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kody.thompson113 View Post
    Get with your local carrier or palm and have one of them send you a loaner at no charge.. then send your pre to palm and tell them your story. "might leave out the fact that you unlocked it though. Your data is fine unles something corrupted your mem.

prolly a power supply failure you may have just bruned out your batt sensors
    I don't have a problem with returning the phone for repairs via my O2 carrier, however I did have Uberkernel installed and had it set to 500/800Mhz screenstate, I know that would void warranty but is there any chance of them not finding that out since the phone is practically dead so they'd have to get the phone running to know if the phone was modified in any way and the cost of repairs will exceed the price of the phone, so I doubt they'll ever know.

What do you guys think?
    I don't have a problem with returning the phone for repairs via my O2 carrier, however I did have Uberkernel installed and had it set to 500/800Mhz screenstate, I know that would void warranty but is there any chance of them not finding that out since the phone is practically dead so they'd have to get the phone running to know if the phone was modified in any way and the cost of repairs will exceed the price of the phone, so I doubt they'll ever know.

What do you guys think?
    They (Palm) can definitely know that you have overclocked before just from looking at your Palm Profile installed software history, even if it was just for one day. However, just being OC'd doesn't void your warranty. It could void your warranty if it is determined that the OC caused or contributed to the failure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast