Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    First off, hello precentral.net! I've been loving this forum ever since the original pre came out. I am a potential android convert so I figured it was time to join!

So I bought my first pre on ebay (used - clean esn supposedly but I haven't checked yet) and my first few minutes were kind of confusing and worrisome. I guess the battery was SO low that it wouldn't power on even with the power cable connected, it only showed the low battery/charging symbol. What confused and worried me though was the fact that directly below that symbol was a web address. It was palm.com or verizon.com or anything...it said treo8.com/bbs

What the heck is THAT??? So I visited the site on my computer while the phone continued to gather a charge. Turns out, its some crazy, kirfy chinese website with almost no english to speak of. Why the HECK would this be showing up on my charging screen? My fear is that some hacker has modded this thing and as soon as I log into my google account, he will have all my info and you can imagine what happens from there.

So does anyone know what that might mean? Is it safe to use this pre or should I return it? I'm relying on your collective expertise because I know very little about these types of things on the pre. I will say that once it finally booted up everything appeared to work normally and all prior account data was wiped clean.

Thanks so much and I look forward to being a part of the community!
    I wouldn't worry about it if I was you . But if you are worried create a new google accout as a temp accout and sign in . Then do a complete erase ( go into device info app then more options at them bottom) and then use the web doctor the reinstall webOS 1.4.5 and then sign into your profile and all is good . Just make sure you use a dummy account (email address) the first time you sign intopalm profile and google profile.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Hi itsaddison, and Welcome to the P|C forums!

It really sounds like someone simply installed a custom boot screen - which is easy to do (just look in my signature). If you are still worried about a hacked Pre, I would simply run the webOS Doctor on my phone and reinstall a clean version of the OS (which is a good idea for new phones anyway).

So....
    1. verify your device has a clean ESN
    2. charge your device fully
    3. run the newest version of webOS Doctor for a clean install of the OS
    4. when the Doctor completes, simply sign into your device.
    5. follow directions in my signature if you ever want to change your boot screen again.

Enjoy the device!
    hello newman !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    If you worried you can Dr. it (although the clean wipe should do the same thing)

It's essentially not difficult to put in something that records texts or emails, maybe even some passwords to facebook.

But it's pretty difficult to keep those in place after running the Dr. (as it completely re-writes all the system information.)
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Lol, thanks for the replies. I'm going to return this phone anyway. Things went downhill before they even got started. The keyboard is awwwwful. Half the keys don't register and the other half register as two taps, not one. Basically its impossible to use, but I guess that's what I get for an $85 pre. They did promise the keys worked so I certainly have grounds for my money back. Most of the good pre's that aren't brand new on ebay appear to be going for about $140 so I guess ill just have to spend a little more than I was hoping. Is the keyboard malfunctioning a common problem? Ill check back in once I've found a more suitable device and try to get started once more.
    I bought a new in the box Sprint Pre a few months ago for $175 on ebay. Happy hunting.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups