1.    #1  
    So I have 3 Sprint phones and I am constantly using sprint.com/activate to switch among them, namely a Palm Pre, a BlackBerry Bold 9650 and a Samsung Epic 4G. (Please let's not make this a "do you like the Epic or the Pre better" thread.)

So, for some reason that's not very relevant at this point, I doctored my Palm Pre and now can't log in because it needs to activate using my Palm profile and, since the phone isn't activated, it doesn't have a connection. I also tried activating it like I normally do and waiting a while, but never got a connection.

Other than the steps in this thread (which I don't know if they're still valid, since it was initially created for 1.2.0, plus I believe they require a Linux box that I don't have, although a VM is always an option), what could I do to activate my Palm Pre with Sprint? I am guessing taking it to a store is also an option. I was hoping I could do something on my own, although I doubt many have faced this situation. That was pretty stupid of me.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    What happens when you activate the pre online?
  3.    #3  
    Nothing. I turn the phone on and it still asks me for the Palm profile credentials; I enter them and it can't find an internet connection to validate them, so it doesn't move from there.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I would say take it into the store. It would be the most hassle-free option IMO (if you had one near you).
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    You need to do a reset of the phone with the MSL. Call sprint and they can give you the MSL and instructions to reset the phone. Or I think the instructions are given to you online when you try and activate it...
    Now you turn in your Pre and get another one... You wouldn't be the first to need a replacement.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    You need to do a reset of the phone with the MSL. Call sprint and they can give you the MSL and instructions to reset the phone. Or I think the instructions are given to you online when you try and activate it...
    The Pre cannot be manually activated (bottom of the page).
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Its not a manual activation.. You cant activate over WIFI and you can t activate if you dont see the EV icon when your phone first starts. The phone needs to be reset with the MSL after gettign to the dial pad. there are some numbers to press to get to the dial pad then you type ##786# .. Scroll down to the bottom and hit reset. enter MSL and you phone will reset and you should get the EV icon indication that you have an internet connection.

The MSL is usually given in the additional trouble shooting activation steps when using the online activation. Or at least it was like that when i did it 6 months ago when i had the same issue.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...m-profile.html
    Last edited by navinag; 10/19/2010 at 11:36 PM.
    Don't bother with getting the MSL.

Just do this:

1) Activate the Pre
    2) Doctor the Pre
    3) Boot up the Pre and activate it, logging in to your Palm Profile

The reason it won't connect is that when it tried to, it was told it doesn't have an account to connect to, so it won't connect without being doctored.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  10.    #10  
    arthurthornton, I doctored and then activated and it was a no go. Are you saying that if I activate and then doctor, I will get an EV connection even before logging in using my Palm profile? Because that's exactly where I am stuck.

Right now, my Bold is activated, so I will activate the Pre, get the MSL from the manual instructions given to me at the end of the online activation (yes, navinag, they still give you that) and follow navinag's approach. If that doesn't work, I will follow yours and doctor the phone and see if I get that connection.

I will report in the afternoon, since I am not carrying the Pre with me.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by navinag View Post
    Its not a manual activation.. You cant activate over WIFI and you can t activate if you dont see the EV icon when your phone first starts. The phone needs to be reset with the MSL after gettign to the dial pad. there are some numbers to press to get to the dial pad then you type ##786# .. Scroll down to the bottom and hit reset. enter MSL and you phone will reset and you should get the EV icon indication that you have an internet connection.

The MSL is usually given in the additional trouble shooting activation steps when using the online activation. Or at least it was like that when i did it 6 months ago when i had the same issue.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...m-profile.html
    +1

I have had this happen a few times with different WebOS devices (we have four on our account, 2 Pixi's and 2 Pre's). The most recent was last week when attempting to re-activate my Sprint Pre after being in Europe for a month and using an unlocked German GSM Pre with my Palm Profile on it.

Navinag is giving you the correct information. A call to Sprint Support or visit to your local Sprint Store will get you going.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I would just go to the sprint store or call them and have them do the computer stuff while your talking to them. But that's just me.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    good advice pastor !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I had this problem when activating mine. The person that I bought it from had wiped it clean and it had wiped out the MSL. Had to get it from Sprint and reset it in the phone.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    FYI. I ran in to this problem when I setup three Pre's for family members. All the phone had an old version of the OS. I wanted to make sure that the activation would work so I activated one phone and all went well. However i did not want to do an OTA for all three phones...So I doctored and thats when I had the problems. However that was easily solved by the step I posted in this thread. All three phones that the same issue.
    navinag is correct. Had this problem a couple of times. When in the profile login screen, just open keyboard and type ##786#, reset, and enter MSL. Do this AFTER you activate the Pre online (note the MSL in the instructions). Good luck!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  17.    #17  
    navinag's method worked like a charm and I was able to log into my Palm profile. However, now I have a different problem. I have gotten logged off twice and have to start over again from the very beginning. Apparently a lot of people are having it and there is no solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    navinag's method worked like a charm and I was able to log into my Palm profile. However, now I have a different problem. I have gotten logged off twice and have to start over again from the very beginning. Apparently a lot of people are having it and there is no solution.
    The most it has happened to me is twice in the same day, and it hasn't happened in a long time (May 2010). I can make it happen though by turning on my German GSM Pre (that my profile is active on) and connecting it to the internet via wifi or putting an activated SIM from any US carrier into the SIM slot. When I do that my Sprint Pre (which my profile is also active on) will give me the message and reset. Then if I reload my current profile on the Sprint Pre it will give me the message on my GSM Pre and wipe the profile on it. As long as I leave the GSM Pre in airplane mode and don't connect it to wifi it doesn't reset while I'm using my Sprint Pre.

I have wondered some time ago if it didn't have something to do with old Pre's that I had replaced under warranty getting turned on at Palm to re-work.
    IDK
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups