Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I know people were able to swap the radios between a Pre and Pre plus. Is there any chance you could do the same with a sprint Pre and a Pre 2?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/19/2010 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Fixed title per OP request
  2. #2  
    The radio board's probably the same, but the real problem is you need the correct Sprint Doctor to flash the modem firmware, and if the device doesn't exist, I can't imagine how that will work.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    The radio board's probably the same, but the real problem is you need the correct Sprint Doctor to flash the modem firmware, and if the device doesn't exist, I can't imagine how that will work.
    I had thought about this earlier today, exactly what you just said.

    Not only do you need the same board, but also a doctor for sprint of the same version.

    Trust me thoe, if sprint doesn't release the palm pre 2... someone will figure out a modded doctor lol.
  4. #4  
    Well the best I can think of is a surgical release of a FrankenDoctor. Take the Pre 2 Doctor and replace the firmware with the tarball from a Sprint Pre 2.0 Doctor.

    Problem is I think since the CPU changed, not sure what effect does this have with the modem code. Maybe Rod can shed some light.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. #5  
    Well it may work but the new kernel will be for a new type of cpu so that will need to be addressed from what i can gather thus far the coms board will work you can do the swap just have to leave the original rom on it till some one comes out with a Sprint rom that will work with the new CPU
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
  6.    #6  
    So it's possible but you would sacrifice features of the Pre 2?
  7. #7  
    Once webOS 2.0 is released for Sprint this will probably be possible if the com boards are the same. Even though there are different webOS Dr. versions the underlining system is the same on all builds. They don't use different kernels for different webOS Dr. images.

    So the kernel that comes with webOS 2.0 for Sprint should work fine with the Palm Pre 2 on Verizon.

    I am really curious to see how well the Pre Plus running at 1ghz with webOS 2.0 performs. I have a feeling it will be on par with the Pre 2. Now that the F105 kernel supports overclocking the RAM from 166mhz to 200mhz there really is no difference in speed between the Pre Plus and Pre 2 other than die size which can give a small difference in speed, but not much.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    So the kernel that comes with webOS 2.0 for Sprint should work fine with the Palm Pre 2 on Verizon.
    If you want a brick then yes.

    Different processor = different kernel.

    Although I'm hopeful about swapping the modem tarball.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If you want a brick then yes.

    Different processor = different kernel.

    Although I'm hopeful about swapping the modem tarball.
    Not necessarily. The kernel can be designed to run on a variety of different processors. For example, OS X has many different processors to deal with on different Macs, but they only have 1 kernel that supports them all. When a new CPU is released Apple just updates the kernel to support the new processor, keeping the older code in there for legacy processors.

    I am sure the same is true for webOS. Palm will not fork the webOS code for different processors. It's easier to just roll the support for the new CPU into the kernel code. Especially since the 3630 is basically the same ARMv7 CPU as the current Pre/Pre Plus CPU, it just runs at a higher clock speed.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  10. #10  
    That may be true for desktop kernels, mobile kernels should be as slim as possible.

    It would be more advantageous to fork them. Pre and Pixi uses different kernels for starters.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If you want a brick then yes.

    Different processor = different kernel.

    Although I'm hopeful about swapping the modem tarball.
    Not a brick, just a device that will not boot until it is doctored in recovery mode.

    -- Rod
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Not necessarily. The kernel can be designed to run on a variety of different processors. For example, OS X has many different processors to deal with on different Macs, but they only have 1 kernel that supports them all. When a new CPU is released Apple just updates the kernel to support the new processor, keeping the older code in there for legacy processors.

    I am sure the same is true for webOS. Palm will not fork the webOS code for different processors. It's easier to just roll the support for the new CPU into the kernel code. Especially since the 3630 is basically the same ARMv7 CPU as the current Pre/Pre Plus CPU, it just runs at a higher clock speed.
    There are lots more differences at the kernel level between 3430 and 3630 than just the clock speed.

    -- Rod
  13. #13  
    I really don't like to ask questions around here but this time it has get out of hand, so im going to have to. The thing is that the cp command to put the metadoctor in a file on the host (as shown in webos internals metadoctor application) is not working for me for some reason, im runing UBUNTU 10.04 LTS and WIN VISTA home ed sp 2. The other solution would be to run the .jar in ubuntu but it says that is not mark as executable and i can't find a way to make it run ..... any ideas??
    Carlos someone that enjoys WEBOS
    "volver al espíritu de cooperación que prevaleció en los tiempos iniciales de la comunidad de usuarios de computadoras"
    "Return to the spirit of cooperation that prevailed in the early days of the community of computer users" Linus Torvalds
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by armepocho View Post
    I really don't like to ask questions around here but this time it has get out of hand, so im going to have to. The thing is that the cp command to put the metadoctor in a file on the host (as shown in webos internals metadoctor application) is not working for me for some reason, im runing UBUNTU 10.04 LTS and WIN VISTA home ed sp 2. The other solution would be to run the .jar in ubuntu but it says that is not mark as executable and i can't find a way to make it run ..... any ideas??
    If you are able to access a USB flash key from both systems, that might be the easiest way to accomplish the file transfer.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  15. #15  
    Mr Whitby, thank's for the answer but seems that i finally got it in the OS Host but when i do the boot where this .jar would be? i mean in what folder? or just loose somewhere on my hard drive? and do i have to put it in any special folder? Thank's in advance
    Carlos someone that enjoys WEBOS
    "volver al espíritu de cooperación que prevaleció en los tiempos iniciales de la comunidad de usuarios de computadoras"
    "Return to the spirit of cooperation that prevailed in the early days of the community of computer users" Linus Torvalds
  16. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    If you want a brick then yes.
    More like a bar of soap than a brick.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    More like a bar of soap than a brick.
    Cool Palm Pre Soap Bourbon and Coke Scented by twoeggplants

    And actually it does... and even closer since the Pre 2 is flat... lol
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  18. reidme's Avatar
    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Cool Palm Pre Soap Bourbon and Coke Scented by twoeggplants

    And actually it does... and even closer since the Pre 2 is flat... lol
    That's too funny!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There are lots more differences at the kernel level between 3430 and 3630 than just the clock speed.

    -- Rod
    THE GPU is different, and there are some differences with the L2 cache, but the core CPU is the same just running at a higher clock speed. TI even says that they are very similar in this video.

    Texas Instruments 65nm OMAP3430 vs 45nm OMAP3630 – ARMdevices.net
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    THE GPU is different, and there are some differences with the L2 cache, but the core CPU is the same just running at a higher clock speed. TI even says that they are very similar in this video.

    [url= Instruments 65nm OMAP3430 vs 45nm OMAP3630 – ARMdevices.net[/url]
    There is lots more to the kernel than just those things.

    -- Rod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions