Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Hmm, i'm actually a bit concerned about the memory footprint.

Higher version numbers normally means more memory consumption. More memory for the OS means less memory for the apps.

Sure, 2.0 will run on the original Pre, but maybe we'll experience more TMC errors with 2.0...
    Global Posts
    505 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    I think it would be you don't paint a Pinto, Ferrari red...
    Oh my, I painted a Pinto Cranberry Metal flake with 3 inch silver racing stripe running along the rocker panel and around the wheel wells. Is that close to ferrarri red? I know it's off topic but it did bring up old memories, verrry old.... LOL
    On the contrary. I think Palm revamped the backend and it's now more efficient.

http://www.precentral.net/webos-get-...enty-more-fall
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Maybe webos 2.0 will fix the TMC errors and they will not be an issue. I know Palm "fixed" the problem by increasing RAM on the pre plus, but that could've been just a quick fix at the time.
    WebOs 2.0 will be coming to everyone's device but yours...you can take that to the bank!
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    adobe showed what they wanted you to see. If it ran as flawlessly as they will have you believe, why wasn't it added already?
    You know the NASA moon landing was faked too.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterH View Post
    Hmm, i'm actually a bit concerned about the memory footprint.

Higher version numbers normally means more memory consumption. More memory for the OS means less memory for the apps.

Sure, 2.0 will run on the original Pre, but maybe we'll experience more TMC errors with 2.0...
    I have found this is only true in the Windows environment. They are not very concerned about a newer version of windows having a smaller footprint because it just means that people will be more influenced to buy a new computer, which is what the OEMS that support Windows want.

Running Ubuntu, we constantly get new releases that use way less Ram and memory resources than the previous OS.

So since WebOS runs on Linux, I can only assume that the case will be the same.

And I think Palm is trying to keep their original Pre owners, not **** them off further.
    Let's just wait until we get the actual update before we start making judgments you never know. The Pre minus could run it smooth as silk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Way back in my original post on this thread, I was just asking a question. This was right after all the hoopla of announcements and I hadn't seen anything about 2.0 on the original Pre. So, I was just asking a question, not trying to spread a rumor. Honest, go back and look (I had to re-read my original post to make sure I asked instead of stated ).

As far as stacks being MORE labor intensive, that wasn't the thought either. My question was, with stacks, HPalm is making a statement that multitasking on the Pre is so awesome they are providing a way for you to make massive use of it with stacks. However, unless they make kernel improvements to better manage memory on the Pre minus, they might as well not have stacks on the Pre minus.

I make that statement realizing that there are many on P|C (like myself) who use UK and haven't seen a TMC error for months. However, the VEST majority of original Pre users to NOT use UK and I think they would just get frustrated if they tried to become a huge multitasker while using stacks.

So again, not that it will be more intensive, but more just a question if anyone had seen mention of memory mgmt improvements by HPalm.
    I wasn't being critical of you, just the people who were giving you baseless answers, such as

Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    WebOS2.0 will not be on Sprint Pre's it's called common sense. You dont stick a Ferrari engine in a Pinto.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    adobe showed what they wanted you to see. If it ran as flawlessly as they will have you believe, why wasn't it added already?
    That's actually a pretty good question. I don't think Adobe was trying to fake us out, but one clue is that it seems to be implemented differently in webOS 2.0 than had been advertised before. It was claimed previously that Flash would be a free app in the app catalog. WebOS 2.0 has it installed and integrated with the browser.

I think perhaps Palm ran into some issues and decided to change the way Flash gets used. My guess is that as a standalone installable app, there may have been some thought that it would be able to run independently of the browser. Integrating it into the browser would seem to sandbox it a little more.

So while I think it worked the way Adobe showed it, performance was probably not as robust as Palm wanted, but this is just me speculating.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    <<Threads merged>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  12.    #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by abellemare44 View Post
    Do you know if it's possible to become a "beta tester" of the version webos 2.0 on a Pre???

Yep, just find a time machine and transport yourself back to June 6th, 2009 and buy a Palm Pre on Sprint... oh wait, that was webOS 1.0.2, my bad...
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Actually paint is an aesthetic thing... the whole point he was making is that in his opinion WebOS 2.0 will be overpowering for the underpowered Sprint Pre, just like a Ferrari engine would be for a Pinto chasis. He was making a performance analogy. I don't understand why that doesn't make sense to the people criticizing it.

Just ask hatchetjack... I'm sure it made sense to him, he drove a Pinto.
    I guess for me, some of my cousins use to race pintos so a ferrari engine would be a fing awesome ride...

So a new looking paint job (os) still running like **** on an old car (old hardware)..

IDK
    wow the need for speed debate all over again!...i remember the loser doomsayers proclaiming that the pre would never ever ever run need for speed!...smh
    OK guy's just chill out. webOS 2.0 is coming to Sprint. Go to HP Palm's Pre page and it says it right there! Sprint only has the Pre and Pixi (no wifi) so if you're running around with launch hardware you'll be fine. HP Palm has repeatedly said there are numerous under the hood performance improvements. I read that to mean it will be MORE efficient than our current 1.4.5.x version of webOS version. Will it run as fast as the PRE 2? Probably not. Will it run as fast a stock (read 500mhz) Pre? Yes at the very least. The next thread we'll see you guys complaining about switching to Verizon for the Pre 2 and 4 months later the real phone we've been waiting for has come out.
    Last edited by Nickhoward; 10/23/2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added webOS 2.0
    I know it makes one sound good when someone sounds like they know what they are talking about, stating things over and over just to argue BUT...

From the Palm/HP website and other WebOS/Palm/Tech websites say other wise. One of the websites said that Palm has already sent WebOS 2.0 to their carriers (Sprint, AT&T, & Verizon) according to their Twitter page and now it is up the them to release it. The rest of the article went on to joke about how Sprint will come out with it right away, then Verizon, and then two months later AT&T. I'd guess that was back in early October? A while ago, still waiting.

Also HP/Palm has WebOS 2.0.1 but can't do anything with it until 2.0 gets out. So we know they are working hard to develop a perfect OS for us.

Why would they send it to Sprint but have Sprint not release it. That's kind of dumb. Or at least dumb to think that. Have faith and stop rumoring the disses.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    WebOS 2.0 will not be coming to Sprint Pre's
    What are you basing this informaton on?
    WebOS 2.0 will be coming to the Palm Pre on Sprint.
    It is stated as such on all the company websites.

Sprint has stopped selling the Palm Pre.

The Pre-Central Store is still selling Palm Pre's for sprint (ok giving them away but you need to sign a new 2 yr Sprint agreement).

Palm is developing a new phone currently named the C40 and Sprint will carry it.

We HAD Flash when 1.4 came out. I used it.
    I am so mad since I see that they removed it.

I erased my phone hoping to reinstall only to 1.4 and then stop to no Avail.
    It reinstalled me to 1.4.5.

I want my Flash back ... NOW ... Do you hear me HP/Palm/Sprint? NOW!!
    We've never had Flash until 2.0...
    As the 2.0 doc is out, has anyone tried to doctor the Pre minus to 2.0??? what would be the factors that would prevent this if not?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345