Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    it's called common sense. You dont stick a Ferrari engine in a Pinto.
    I think it would be you don't paint a Pinto, Ferrari red...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i've noticed a lot of people making claims and stating 'facts' about things they know nothing about lately. Where did the rumor that 2.0 won't be on current hardware come from? Where did the idea that stacks would be MORE labor intensive come from?

and as far as flash is concerned, flash elements aren't even active until the user clicks on the content to be displayed. That means a website won't be bogged down by it unless the user says so. So again where did the idea that the current pre can't even handle the EXISTENCE of Flash come from?

just asking...

PS history has shown the OS to get MORE efficient with each update. Recent announcements about WebOS structuring shows that this trend will continue. I really don't understand all of this skepticism...
    I have no idea why people are worried about webOS 2.0... It will be be more efficient than previous versions! It will actually run better than what we have now...

Relax everyone. lol

Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    my first car was a 72 pinto, it was orange.... On topic, I don't think a pre minus can handle it either, I think the minus will get a dumbed down version.
    webOS 2.0 or Flash?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    I think it would be you don't paint a Pinto, Ferrari red...
    Actually paint is an aesthetic thing... the whole point he was making is that in his opinion WebOS 2.0 will be overpowering for the underpowered Sprint Pre, just like a Ferrari engine would be for a Pinto chasis. He was making a performance analogy. I don't understand why that doesn't make sense to the people criticizing it.

Just ask hatchetjack... I'm sure it made sense to him, he drove a Pinto.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I have no idea why people are worried about webOS 2.0... It will be be more efficient than previous versions! It will actually run better than what we have now...

Relax everyone. lol

webOS 2.0 or Flash?
    neither...
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Actually paint is an aesthetic thing... the whole point he was making is that in his opinion WebOS 2.0 will be overpowering for the underpowered Sprint Pre, just like a Ferrari engine would be for a Pinto chasis. He was making a performance analogy. I don't understand why that doesn't make sense to the people criticizing it.

Just ask hatchetjack... I'm sure it made sense to him, he drove a Pinto.
    In my opinion: It didn't make sense because webOS 2.0 isn't some powerful monster. It's a more efficient version of webOS with some nice added features.
    Adobe developers showed flash beta running on PALM PRE (Minus) end of last year. You can see the video here.

I wold also like to point out that webOS 2.0 is much more efficient than webOS 1.0 (as stated several times in this thread) and thus original PRE should be running it faster than webOS 1.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    In my opinion: It didn't make sense because webOS 2.0 isn't some powerful monster. It's a more efficient version of webOS with some nice added features.

Oh, I understand... that is why I emphasized "in his opinion". WebOS 2.0 is a sleeker, leaner, more efficient version, yet more powerful than the current or former versions.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    adobe showed what they wanted you to see. If it ran as flawlessly as they will have you believe, why wasn't it added already?
    So the videos were faked?
    Does anyone know if 2.0 has a smaller memory footprint which could help free up a little extra ram?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Guys, I know there are a lot of ticked off Sprint users out there about the Pre 2, I don't want this thread to get into that....

What I do want to know is do we have official confirmation from HP that webOS 2.0 will indeed run (and be pushed to) our Sprint Pres?

I think all the features look terrific, but with the limited memory how in the world are we going to deal with Stacks when we get so many TMC errors? Sure, right now we have to rely on our homebrew gods who fix the kernel to reduce the frequency of this error, but is HPalm addressing any of this in the webOS 2.0 -- did they fix the kernel?

I love the homebrew community, but I guess I don't want to have to rely on a 3rd party to make my device usable with an OS version.

Anyone seen any kind of official announcement to either of these two issues: 1) webOS 2.0 on Sprint Pre and 2) any fixes to kernel in webOS 2.0?
    Will webOS 2.0 be OTA? This is going to be a monster update. If itís OTA it could be a complete disaster for Pre Minus owners. This update is going to be very large and may require several weeks to roll it out. I would hope that sprint has its own Pre 2 like device with webOS 2.0 already on it before CES. Although the update will be available for us on our current Pre devices, I still get nervous about the load my Pre is going to have to endure. And as a reminder please use the Save and Restore Homebrew app as I am wiping mine before the update.

Verizon is also going to destroy the Pre 2! They are too wrapped up in their Flagship Droids to sell Pre's. I canít wait to see all the negative reviews Verizon representatives give the Pre 2. Itís Android or bust over there. Sprint is the most deserving of all the carriers. At least their reps know the operating system and donít mind showing how it works.
    I can't see why 2.0 wouldn't be OTA like all the previous updates were. If you're really worried about the size, you could always do it over wifi.

It's impossible to know how Verizon is going to handle the Pre2. After seeing what they did with the Pre Plus, I'm having my doubts though...
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    i've noticed a lot of people making claims and stating 'facts' about things they know nothing about lately. Where did the rumor that 2.0 won't be on current hardware come from? Where did the idea that stacks would be MORE labor intensive come from?
    Way back in my original post on this thread, I was just asking a question. This was right after all the hoopla of announcements and I hadn't seen anything about 2.0 on the original Pre. So, I was just asking a question, not trying to spread a rumor. Honest, go back and look (I had to re-read my original post to make sure I asked instead of stated ).

As far as stacks being MORE labor intensive, that wasn't the thought either. My question was, with stacks, HPalm is making a statement that multitasking on the Pre is so awesome they are providing a way for you to make massive use of it with stacks. However, unless they make kernel improvements to better manage memory on the Pre minus, they might as well not have stacks on the Pre minus.

I make that statement realizing that there are many on P|C (like myself) who use UK and haven't seen a TMC error for months. However, the VEST majority of original Pre users to NOT use UK and I think they would just get frustrated if they tried to become a huge multitasker while using stacks.

So again, not that it will be more intensive, but more just a question if anyone had seen mention of memory mgmt improvements by HPalm.
    Thats a tough one. I have an original Pre also and I luv it. I plan on waiting a little while longer and see if palm announces a new phone this summer.
    I just purchased a GSM Pre two days ago, and is being shipped on it's way soon. Though I certainly don't regret my decision, and I was aware of the Pre 2 before I purchased it, what I fear is that webOS 2.0 won't run smoothly on older hardware. This was similarly displayed in the iOS 4 update. Made for the iPhone 4, it ran perfectly on that, worked well on the 3GS, but when it came to the iPhone 3G, it was slow, buggy, applications slow to start, and overall, things were better on iOS 3.1. Do you think this will happen on the Pre?
    There's nothing in the annoucement about refinement or optimization of the kernel, so it is likely to run as soothly as 1.4.5. On the Pre 2 it runs about as smooth as 1.4.5 on a 1 Ghz O/C Pre.

I'm sure there are people with 2.0 on their Pre, but are not allowed to discuss it's performance.
    Webos 2.0 was design for current and future palm devices.(Pre/plus/pixi/plus/pre2, and so fourth). I don't see any reason why it shouldn't run smoothly on any of these device.
    I also think it will run good but if you don't have the 1ghz kernal nows a good time to get it
    it's also lighter weight, has better database systems, and better javascript. It's built to run faster.
    http://<font color="Navy">Poll: Requ...r webOS</font>

Coming soon-Calm Alarm
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Palm Pimp.
    Comes with 2 free Pixis.
    Do you know if it's possible to become a "beta tester" of the version webos 2.0 on a Pre???
    ----------------------------------
    Alain (abellemare44)
    HP Pre3 2.2.4 (ATT 4G 16 Gigs) with BELL in Canada

HP TouchPad 16 Gigs Wifi
    With UberKernel 3.0.4 1,8 Ghz
    Cyanogenmod 7 Alpha 3,5 Android 2.3.7

PS: sorry for the bad english, it's not my native language
    I expect it will be at least up to the performance of what we see with 1.4.5

there is usually additional optimization, they announced some support of the gpu, etc.

and with uberkernel, it should be close to the pre2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast