Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    So where does it say that WebOS 2.0 uses more resources? I thought if anything WebOS 2.0 is faster, more efficient and boots quicker. Please show me proof of what you guys are saying?

WebOS 2.0 Features
    Javascript Background Services

"Palm is significantly expanding and improving their background services, switching them from java to javascript. What this will mean for users and developers is that apps that need to crunch a significant amount of data will be able to do it quite a fit faster and easier. As they mentioned in the keynote, a lot of stuff that was previously only available to Homebrew app developers will now be possible in official apps."

db8: Faster Storage and Cloud Service Sync

db8, which is a new backend interface for apps to store and sync data on device. What's awesome about db8? Primarily three things:

1. Performance storing and accessing data should be significantly better (especially with the new javascript services).
    2. It's 'pluggable' on the backend for your choice of storage methods
    3. It offers fast, simple, and reliable sync services to syncing locally stored data with a CouchDB database in the cloud.

Yeah, it's a little nerdy, but the bottom line is that apps that need to sync a bunch of data (like, say, the email client) will now be able to not only use background javascript services to shuffle data around more quickly on the device, but db8 to more quickly sync that local database to the cloud.
    guys, relax

Its coming to Palm Pre's

First, Jon Rubienstein stated that it is in an interview in June.

Second, they responded on twitter stating that it will.

Third, the Palm site states that it is.

And also what deesugar stated above:

Javascript and other enhancements like turning on the GPU for GUI acceleration means that it will run faster than ever.

You need to stop thinking like Microsoft Windows and think like Linux. WebOS runs on linux and Open Source frameworks.

Constantly in the Linux world updates will come out that make devices run faster than before.

I know its hard to understand for you Windows geeks, but a new OS version does NOT always mean you have to buy new super hardware. Windows just does that because the vendors they have agreements with want them to push new hardware.

Often, in the Linux world things are very backwards compatible and actually lighter with more revisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    it's called common sense. You dont stick a Ferrari engine in a Pinto.
    Man, I'm glad I don't have your "common sense"...

"You dont stick a Ferrari engine in a Pinto."
    ^ How does that even make sense?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Guys, I know there are a lot of ticked off Sprint users out there about the Pre 2, I don't want this thread to get into that....

What I do want to know is do we have official confirmation from HP that webOS 2.0 will indeed run (and be pushed to) our Sprint Pres?

I think all the features look terrific, but with the limited memory how in the world are we going to deal with Stacks when we get so many TMC errors? Sure, right now we have to rely on our homebrew gods who fix the kernel to reduce the frequency of this error, but is HPalm addressing any of this in the webOS 2.0 -- did they fix the kernel?

I love the homebrew community, but I guess I don't want to have to rely on a 3rd party to make my device usable with an OS version.

Anyone seen any kind of official announcement to either of these two issues: 1) webOS 2.0 on Sprint Pre and 2) any fixes to kernel in webOS 2.0?
    I don't think we'll have a problem. Stacks are basically just a different way of displaying the cards. Plus, 2.0 should actually start using the GPU to handle UI animations and such. If anything, our Sprint phones should be faster with webOS 2.0.

I've been running UberKernal at 800mhz for a long time now, and have not had a single TMC error.
    I've been running my Sprint Pre overclocked at 1 ghz which makes it tolerable but I only generally have one program opened at a time. I have a noticable lag if I'm watching a video and an email or txt notification comes in. I don't have high hopes for 2.0 on Sprint but it will keep me with Palm till the next hot Android device comes out (I would have gotten the samsung if it didn't have the built in keyboard adding thickness, I love Swype and the majority of andoid apps). That's not to say I won't miss some of palms features but overall the apps are going to make the phone and webos lacks the user base to get every app I would use. Lets not even get into battery.

Tailgating at the Redskins game Sunday meant I didn't have a working phone by the time I was in my seat (took 5 pictures, checked some scores, shot one 45 second video, and talked for maybe 25 minutes). I wouldn't even consider the palm pre 2. This form factor with the relatively smaller screen is DOA and without huge battery improvements the phone is only a 3/4 daytime phone.
    I am too lazy to read the rest of the thread, but what im getting out of it is that most people say its going to slow down the phone.

People... They completely rewrote the background services to run WAY more efficiently. And im sure they did this on purpose so they can keep the OS transparent throughout all of the current phone models they offer. They didn't make a newer beefier slower os, they made a newer, slicker, faster os.

So quite frankly all the people saying its going to make it slower or not going to come to the pre at all... STAFOO!
    I've just skimmed through the thread, so I apologize beforehand if someone has already posted this.

The videos on this page Palm USA | HP webOS 2.0 | Amazingly powerful. Surprisingly simple. clearly show a Pre Plus running WebOS 2.0.

Since LunaSysMgr has been updated in WebOS 2.0, the Pre minus should be able to handle WebOS 2.0.

SIDE NOTE: Those videos were filmed roughly around September 30th. In the App Catalog video, you can see that Bad Kitty was a newly updated app and BK was last updated on 9-30-10.
    Last edited by gollyzila; 10/19/2010 at 03:31 PM.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    So quite frankly all the people saying its going to make it slower or not going to come to the pre at all... STAFOO!
    Geez, it was just a question a question...wow, the way some people treat each other...makes me embarrassed to post around these parts anymore.
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Yeah, imagine having two web browsers running at the same time both running Flash, could be worse than trying to run two 3D games at the same time
    So don't. Period. I don't try to run two 3D games at the same time (its kinda hard to play two games at the same time). Why not just run one browser when you are watching a video? I mean, it isn't perfect, but isn't it better to have the option than to just say forget about it?
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjparfekt View Post
    I've been running my Sprint Pre overclocked at 1 ghz which makes it tolerable but I only generally have one program opened at a time. I have a noticable lag if I'm watching a video and an email or txt notification comes in. I don't have high hopes for 2.0 on Sprint but it will keep me with Palm till the next hot Android device comes out (I would have gotten the samsung if it didn't have the built in keyboard adding thickness, I love Swype and the majority of andoid apps). That's not to say I won't miss some of palms features but overall the apps are going to make the phone and webos lacks the user base to get every app I would use. Lets not even get into battery.

Tailgating at the Redskins game Sunday meant I didn't have a working phone by the time I was in my seat (took 5 pictures, checked some scores, shot one 45 second video, and talked for maybe 25 minutes). I wouldn't even consider the palm pre 2. This form factor with the relatively smaller screen is DOA and without huge battery improvements the phone is only a 3/4 daytime phone.
    Oh where to start? I've complained about the battery life, but it has improved significantly with 1.4.5. It makes the whole day for me now, and I use it pretty heavily. I would love more battery life, but they have to invent new batteries for that.

I have a stock Pre and I have zero lag when watching a video and a notification comes in. In fact, just after reading this, I watched my Rush Limbaugh morning update (video) and texted myself with a friend's phone. Neither of us noticed the slightest lag. Some games take a while to open (of course, not nearly as long as the same games do on a lightning fast PC or an XBOX 360, but that's their problem), but I rarely sit there thinking "OPEN OPEN OPEN" while I wait for a program like I regularly do with my windows PC at work.

The Pre isn't perfect, but it is as close as you'll get in a smartphone today.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Flash IS default to off on webOS 2.0 regardless of carrier. And it's a browser plugin only.
    um, I meant totally, no boxes, hidden. Incase it does run bad, sprint might not want you t kno it's there.

I was gna ask, when do you guys think webos 2.0 will land and be pushed out to sprint pre's?
    I think it has to. Why would they leave out their largest base on any carrier (Sprint)?

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Man, I'm glad I don't have your "common sense"...

"You dont stick a Ferrari engine in a Pinto."
    ^ How does that even make sense?
    would it even fit? you'd probably have to mod the hell out of it
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    um, I meant totally, no boxes, hidden. Incase it does run bad, sprint might not want you t kno it's there.

I was gna ask, when do you guys think webos 2.0 will land and be pushed out to sprint pre's?
    They said "in the coming months". My Sprint Pre is getting it whenever Palm releases the 2.0 Doctor for any Pre on any network.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    would it even fit? you'd probably have to mod the hell out of it
    If people can manage to stuff a V8 engine in to a Honda CRX, then anything is possible haha
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Palm USA | HP webOS 2.0 | Amazingly powerful. Surprisingly simple.

Right hand side, you see Pre and Pixi for the webOS 2.0 page. Click on either/both, and read. They will be getting it.

And why is everyone saying the current Pre is incapable of flash without overclocking? What was demoed like last year on it? What was it? Oh yeah, Flash 10.1 beta.

However, running and running well are two different things. We won't know for certain until it actually drops.
    Geez, it was just a question a question...wow, the way some people treat each other...makes me embarrassed to post around these parts anymore.
    Haha i guess that came off kinda wrong. I didn't mean it in a mean condescending way. More of a joking "c'mon guys" way.
    For me the bigger question is will overclocking work with the Pre-minus and webOS 2.0 - and I'm sure the folks at webOSinternalz will do their best to make it happen.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    i've noticed a lot of people making claims and stating 'facts' about things they know nothing about lately. Where did the rumor that 2.0 won't be on current hardware come from? Where did the idea that stacks would be MORE labor intensive come from?

and as far as flash is concerned, flash elements aren't even active until the user clicks on the content to be displayed. That means a website won't be bogged down by it unless the user says so. So again where did the idea that the current pre can't even handle the EXISTENCE of Flash come from?

just asking...

PS history has shown the OS to get MORE efficient with each update. Recent announcements about WebOS structuring shows that this trend will continue. I really don't understand all of this skepticism...
    Quote Originally Posted by abhinandanjain View Post
    You mean Punto.
    Ha... you must not be in the U.S. or are familiar with foreign makes. I saw a Punto and laughed when I was in Austria. In the early 70's ford made a car called the Pinto. It wasn't a horse... it was a DOG! It has been years since I have seen one on the streets anywhere.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast