Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    maybe they'll just default flash to off on sprint. Everything else, it can do just as well as on previous webos versions. But to see it run as fast and smooth as on that pre2, you will need to overclock imo
    Quote Originally Posted by the13th View Post
    If you go to palm's webpage you'll notice that right next to the SPRINT palm pre it tells us that it is in fact coming to palm pre
    Yep. Go to the Palm WebOS 2.0 page, look at the bottom left side and next to Palm Pre, it has webos 2.0: "Available in the coming months"
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Even if does come to Sprint Pres, do you really think running flash on this phone would be a good experience?
    I really don't know.

I will say, no matter what, for those who want flash the experience will be better than an iphone, or other non flash capable device.
    Last edited by windzilla; 10/19/2010 at 11:25 AM.
    There are four lights.
  4.    #24  
    So much for the thread.... :-(

Thanks for those who gave real replies, losing faith in the P|C community (as well as HPalm and Sprint).

I'm sure it will get closed in 3...2...1
    Quote Originally Posted by the13th View Post
    Webos 2.0 is coming to the palm pre... look at palm's website Palm USA | Palm Pre Family | Full featured for the full-on life. it says that "web os 2.0 available in the coming months"
    In HPalms world "in the coming months" means more later than sooner. So France gets 2.0 in like 4 days the rest of us have to wait months?! Major fail here.
    What good is a man if he can not change the world?
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by homerlanza View Post
    In HPalms world "in the coming months" means more later than sooner. So France gets 2.0 in like 4 days the rest of us have to wait months?! Major fail here.
    indeed... it looks like the webOS 2.0 is ready for prime time so why not push it to all carriers?
    do you seriously think webOS 2.0 will run well on the original pre without overclocking? I doubt it. I, for one, overclock, so i want 2.0. However, there was a stat a few months back that less than 5% of pre users were involved in Homebrew, and I would say probably only 10-20% overclock (maybe more now with Govnah). Pushing webOS 2.0 to original Pre owners will likely slow their device down even more. I don't have any proof of this, but I'm just thinking. I think the "coming in a few months" means that they are going to release another device for Sprint with webOS 2.0 on it, and at that time, they will push webOS 2.0 to the original Pre so that you don't have to buy a new phone to get 2.0, but you'll want it.
    My Patches
    -Change Number of Bookmarks.patch
    -Change Carrier String and Color of Carrier String and Date/Time.patch
    -Increase Top Bar Font Size.patch

If you appreciate the work or comments somebody has done, then use the thanks button to let them know!

"Freedom isn't free"
    It clearly states it is coming to all pre devices.... Even the ones on sprint... they aren't gonna say oh verizon gets it all and u get nothing... and if you firmly believe its not coming for sprint... than either grab a glass of milk and sit back with your 1.4.5 pre and chill or go find a new cell phone device.... plain as day simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmartino2011 View Post
    Don't apologize to him, it makes you look weak. Forum Leaders have to make the tough call sometime and tell people they are morons.
    I want to make sure this thread stays on track, while he may have had some aggravating troll-like behavior, the truth is I don't know the poster well enough to levy such an insult cart-blanch.

pre central should be a good place for people to get information, help, and discuss smartphones without wading through the piles of flame wars so much a part of other sites forums.

I used an insult in my opening, and it caused the entire thread to degrade, instead of thoughtfully discussing the relevant information i posted, we get a symantic debate, strewn with insults.

as a forum leader, as in my real life, I do not consider an apology weakness.

I feel bad for the OP who had a good topic.

as a side note, it is nice to know so many of you have my back on this one.

but please, can we return to discussing the actual topic at hand.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    just like no one in this thread that is saying it's coming to Sprint has any proof.
    Go to Palm USA | Palm Pre Family | Full featured for the full-on life.. Now look at the bottom of the screen where it lists the "Palm Pre" (the one with the Sprint logo next to it). You'll see a webOS 2.0 logo that says, "Available in the coming months".

There's your proof directly from HP/Palm's web site. Case closed.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    They do have a point. HP has come out and said that it's coming for sure. Not quite sure why this thread is continuing.
    I've deleted all posts not relating to the OP.

Play nice or go home.
    <<quoted language deleted by mod>>

so then, why shouldn't it? what information do we have about the changes in 2.0 which would make it wholly unable to run on the sprint pre. Or what disadvantages are there to palms sales. I would suggest that given the small market share palm has now, giving that minor user base an upgrade should not effect the vast and untapped area of growth available to palm in the smartphone space (for example only 17% of us mobile phone users have a smart phone)

I would also suggest that the very significant improvements in the background structure of webOS, IE java moving to JavaScript and so on, would make webOS efficient enough that it could run capably on a stock pre.

Add to that palms confirmation of their intent to bring the update to the current crop of users, and i think it is a very well reasoned, and substantiated position, to say that indeed palm is developing, and plans to release the 2.0 update for, the original pre, including sprint.
    There are four lights.
    if your percentages are right about the amount of people homebrewing and overclocking.....then I feel sorry for 95% & 80-90%. Sure makes a difference & takes an average/mediocre(as far as smart phones are concerned) phone to the next level.

I see no difference( in RAM use ) between stacks of cards and having 10-20 cards open. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like they're cleaning up the interface.

Only time will tell I suppose.
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    2.0 is coming to all current webos devices, the only diffrence is that Flash Player will not be integrated into pixis.

take it or leave it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I see no difference( in RAM use ) between stacks of cards and having 10-20 cards open. Maybe I'm wrong, but it just seems like they're cleaning up the interface.
    I agree the difference should be negligible. It's just a change in the visual layout of the cards. There would probably be some extra data structures in memory keeping track of the open stacks, but it should take up a very small amount of memory.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Contradude View Post
    They do have a point. HP has come out and said that it's coming for sure. Not quite sure why this thread is continuing.
    Well as stated earlier in the thread the VAST majority of Sprint Pre users do NOT overclock. Therefore when HP comes out with webOS 2.0 singing the praises of stacks, Flash, etc. How are that vast majority going to feel about 2.0 if they constantly get TMC errors.

If you look at my two original questions, it appears as though the first one has been answered, it will be coming to Sprint Pre.

But, what about the second question: Has HP addressed the kernel and its lack of memory management in 2.0?

And I guess I will add a third question: How long until webOS Internals produces a UK for 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by iRobot View Post
    it's called common sense. You dont stick a Ferrari engine in a Pinto.
    Way too early to tell. webOS 1.x isn't exactly the most memory efficient OS out there, and I'm sure some stuff has been done. Which might also explain the freezes that Dieter was seeing on the pre-prod device. Has to be something to do with kernel changes.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well as stated earlier in the thread the VAST majority of Sprint Pre users do NOT overclock. Therefore when HP comes out with webOS 2.0 singing the praises of stacks, Flash, etc. How are that vast majority going to feel about 2.0 if they constantly get TMC errors.

But, what about the second question: Has HP addressed the kernel and its lack of memory management in 2.0?

And I guess I will add a third question: How long until webOS Internals produces a UK for 2.0?

I too am hoping that there is some much improved memory management in the new update. I think its too early to tell, even from the video.

for my part i am strongly considering doing the pre-plus upgrade to my sprint pre.

but i think the most important part of memory management and efficiency will be the ability to have certain programs open all the time, and not hurt battery life as much as they do now.

for example the browser seems to be a memory and battery hog.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    maybe they'll just default flash to off on sprint. Everything else, it can do just as well as on previous webos versions. But to see it run as fast and smooth as on that pre2, you will need to overclock imo
    Flash IS default to off on webOS 2.0 regardless of carrier. And it's a browser plugin only.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast