webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Can using other chargers fry your phone?
Can using other chargers fry your phone?

Old 10/18/2010, 11:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

the charger that came with my pre has been acting up lately, and I've been having to use my brothers lg charger although I've been scared to people keep telling me it will fry my phone, and I just got a brand new pp+ because I was still under warranty and its been great (so fast I don't even have to overclock it and I think palm changed the feel of the buttons to be like pixi) anyways, can anyone confirm if this is bad or not?
palml0ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
the charger that came with my pre has been acting up lately, and I've been having to use my brothers lg charger although I've been scared to people keep telling me it will fry my phone, and I just got a brand new pp+ because I was still under warranty and its been great (so fast I don't even have to overclock it and I think palm changed the feel of the buttons to be like pixi) anyways, can anyone confirm if this is bad or not?
In general USB is a standard. But there are some details:
You should get 1A = 1000mA out of this charger and there is something I don't know much about, that the pre recognizes the difference between a charger and an USB computer connection.
There are also some "cheap" chargers e.g. car chargers that don't provide a stable voltage and could fry the device.
Since LG isn't a noname thing I expect it will be ok. But no one will guaranty it.
Old 10/18/2010, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

I had my wall charger die while I was on vacation. I went into a Sprint store and they sold me a 'generic' charger...which caused problems with my phone (I could do e-mail, text but not place or receive calls). It caused phantom openings of cards and stuff. I quit using it within 2 days and got another one that was Palm approved from Radio Shack. It worked well.
cowgirlupkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: palml0ver
Old 10/18/2010, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have no problems with this one at all. Usb is where you can unplug the part that goes into the wall and connect it to something else right? Because this one isn't like that. My phone actually charged a little faster with this charger. I'm just scared it could be frying it and I wouldn't even know. Lol.
Old 10/18/2010, 11:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have used foreign (Not Palm) USB chargers on my Palm Pre Plus several times without a problem. The only issues I can think of is that the Palm chargers output a full 1 Amp while some others only about 500 mA. This will not power a touchstone but it will charge your phone – it will just take longer. Following is the USB Specification for power:

Dedicated charger mode:
A simple USB charger should short the 2 data lines together. The device will then not attempt to transmit or receive data, but can draw up to 1.8A, if the supply can provide it.

USB voltage:
Supplied voltage by a host or a powered hub ports is between 4.75 V and 5.25 V. Maximum voltage drop for bus-powered hubs is 0.35 V from its host or hub to the hubs output port. All hubs and functions must be able to send configuration data at 4.4 V, but only low-power functions need to be working at this voltage. Normal operational voltage for functions is minimum 4.75 V.
Old 10/18/2010, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

I sometime use my old sanyo phone charger in the places my touch stone is not available and it works fine... Oh and when you say you think it might be charging a little faster and don't want to over do it, well your palm has a feature that once you reach a cerain percent it automatically stops charging until the charge goes back down to a certain percent... So your fine... Although it might not work with your touchstone mine doesn't which is fine causes it's my spare... As long as your phone didn't fry the first time you used it your fine
broy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

okay, that makes me feel better haha. I don't like the touchstone, it always heats up my phone!
Old 10/18/2010, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

When I went into Best Buy to get a car charger, the guy sold me a Motorola one that cost half of what the Palm one cost and I have had no issues at all.
trener1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've got two of the Sprint-branded generic chargers that I bought from the guy on here that had bought a whole bunch of them. I have never had any issues with them, other than not charging as fast because they don't put out as much current.

I did catch a comment in the chat during one palmcast saying they have been known to damage Pre's, but I searched on the forums and never could turn up a post indicating anyone had ever had a problem with them. I don't rely on them, but I do use them when I am out and need a charge.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I sometimes use my old Motorola BT headset charger, but it charges a lot more slowly.
jjeffcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

As long as the build quality of the charger isn't in question then you should be fine using any 5V charger that can put through at least 500mA for direct charging your phone.
OrionAntares#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 03:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have a spare Blackberry charger and it works fine.
DS_Palm_Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/18/2010, 03:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

I've been using the generic car chargers that Sprint gave me for free with our Pres (my wife's and mine) nearly every day since day one with no problems. I have one of these car chargers connected to a Touchstone in the car, again, no problems.
jkeitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0