Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    An important memo has just spontaneously disappeared from my Pre. Is there any hope of recovering it short of wiping the phone and hoping my Palm Profile backup still has it? I'm not even sure if that will work because backup ran automatically about four hours ago and I don't know exactly when it vanished. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Well..as far as I know, there's no way to get it back. Unless you synced the info earlier.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Well..as far as I know, there's no way to get it back. Unless you synced the info earlier.
    By synced do you mean Palm Backup? I may have to start emailing all my memos to myself every time I modify them, although that will be a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    An important memo has just spontaneously disappeared from my Pre. Is there any hope of recovering it short of wiping the phone and hoping my Palm Profile backup still has it? I'm not even sure if that will work because backup ran automatically about four hours ago and I don't know exactly when it vanished. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Yes, there is hope. Call Palm Support, let them know what happened and a time when you are certain it was there. They can roll your backup back to a previous date and you do a partial erase (app and data) to reload the profile. Hopefully it will be there after the restore.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Yes, there is hope. Call Palm Support, let them know what happened and a time when you are certain it was there. They can roll your backup back to a previous date and you do a partial erase (app and data) to reload the profile. Hopefully it will be there after the restore.
    WHAT!...They can do roll backs?....How cool. Didnt know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    WHAT!...They can do roll backs?....How cool. Didnt know that.
    Yep! Back in Feb. of this year (2010), I got a Pre replacement and when my profile loaded I only had one contact and no memos. I was just about to re-enter everything I could manually and decided to call Sprint, they said call Palm. I called Palm support, told them my issue, they got my information, apologized for the inconvenience, rolled me back about two weeks and voila! The profile restore worked and everything was good again.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    do we know if the memo being referred to was on the palm 'memo' app or some other app? That would make a difference as to whether it is in the profile...
    Some of my Memos -- admittedly not important ones -- had done that too. For me, that's a deal-breaker for the Memos app, which I no longer use. I now use Evernote, which does have some flaws but overall works well ...
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    do we know if the memo being referred to was on the palm 'memo' app or some other app? That would make a difference as to whether it is in the profile...
    Yes it was a memo on the standard Palm Memos app. It seemed weird that just one of many memos disappeared.

At any rate I decided to re-create it as best I could from memory (brain cells that is, not computer memory.) I just couldn't bring myself to wipe the phone and risk losing other stuff, not to mention reconfiguring everything. It was a good wake-up call though, I have started to email my important memos to myself on a routine schedule.

It is frustrating that the Palm Profile can not do partial restores, or that you cannot even see what data it has saved unless you wipe your phone first. I really wish Palm would create a Palm Profile website that you could log into to view, copy, even modify your saved data. Sort of like a web version of the old Palm Desktop that ran on the PC/Mac.

Thanks again for the suggestions though. The roll-back tip may come in very handy indeed at some point. <Knocking on wood.>
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
    Some of my Memos -- admittedly not important ones -- had done that too. For me, that's a deal-breaker for the Memos app, which I no longer use. I now use Evernote, which does have some flaws but overall works well ...
    At least I'm not the only one. I've started looking into other memo apps as well. I'm thinking about Fliq Notes and Missing Sync because I really like having my data saved locally, but I'll look into Evernote too. Thanks.
    If you use google docs, I HIGHLY recommend Notes by Inglorious Apps. Everything gets synced into google docs and you can pull down stuff from your google docs accounts onto your pre (text stuff only obviously, you can't bring in a spreadsheet)