Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi All,

Is it the Sprint Network or the Pre that causes so many calls to be missed. I used to think it was poor signal, but the other day, I was looking at the Pre on the Touchstone with four bars and wifi and without a ring at all, I got the missed call notification and a voice message notification. What is going on?

Love these forums, BTW.

-Brian
    I have no idea, but i have the same problem, would love to get an answer or even a possible fix.
    I'm on O2 UK and have had similar problems, they're infrequent but occasionally it does either fail to register the call or for whatever reason fails to ring. If it's the same issue you've had then it sounds like it might be a problem with the Pre or webOS design.
    Evdo hack, anyone?
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I used to have this issue. A notice of a missed call without phone ever ringing. I have not had this happen since 1.4.5.
    are you using any patches like 'no alerts during call' or 'really silent on mute'? Those turn the volume off during a call and i've noticed if I adjust volume jown during the call, the volume stays down so I don't hear it ring. Call volume and ringer volume are the same setting - something palm has to fix...

also, if you have a headset connected or paired, it rings in the headset only, so if the ringer volume is low and you don't have the headset in your ear... You won't hear it.

I am now in the habit of checking the volume after every call. Same is true for the alarm... So i've learned to check it before going to bed...
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    It may just be a Sprint issue. I've had this problem sporadically with the Pre, but also with other phones I've had on Sprint. It seems to come and go. It actually has happened less often with the Pre, but that may be just coincidence.

My theory is that sometimes their local tower/server/whatever gets overloaded with calls (they do have a finite capacity for connections) and when that happens Sprint's system just sends your incoming call straight to voice mail without ever making your phone ring. It doesn't matter how good your signal is because that isn't the problem. Sprint just doesn't have a line to spare at that moment to complete your call.

Edit: I just realized you said you were getting the missed call notification. When what I am describing happens you don't even get that, you just get a voice mail notification (if the caller leaves a message.)
    Last edited by reidme; 10/17/2010 at 10:18 AM.
    I've had the same issue on vzw for years with other smart phones, and dumb phone's like my wife's LG.

I think all carriers have issues. I just noticed it got much worse with my pre until I figured out that call volume and ringer volume aren't separate, and how the in-call patches work.

before I applied those patches the people I was talking to could year the alerts. One of several major flaws I expect them to fix in 2.0
    Your holding it wrong.

sorry, had to do it.
  10.    #10  
    No patches, stock Pre (sue me and no headset. Happens on my wife's Pixi, too, so thought it might be Sprint. I guess it could be all cell prividers, but seems worse than the old Treo.
    If your phone is not using 3G/EVDO, i.e. the top bar indicates 1x instead of Ev, then data transfer takes precedence over voice so calls go straight to voice mail. Voice takes precedence over data when your phone is transferring data with EVDO. It will just suspend the data transfer while you are on the phone call.

You would get the voice mail notification when you are transferring data on 1x when a call comes in, but I don't know if this is your problem as you indicated you get a missed call notification.

I started turning off wireless data when I have WiFi or want to make sure I receive calls and I almost never miss calls anymore.

Something to note is that my phone has a problem that I believe plagues many Sprint Pre users where even though I have perfectly fine coverage and other Sprint phones stay on Ev consistently next to me, my phone will drop to 1x or bounce between 1x and Ev. There are plenty of threads about that issue if you search.
    Do you have a screenstate overclock patch installed?

I have found that if you go below 500mhz on your screen off state, it can cause miss calls as the phone cant wake up in time.
    I think this is a signal problem. You may have four bars but at just the right moment some rf interference cuts the signal for a flash and the call is missed. Like one other poster, this has happened to me on every phone I've ever owned.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    I was holding my phone and saw the 3G symbol disappear, an indication of an incoming call, but it never came. Next up came the missed call indicator and an angry voicemail from my mom.
    what have you put onto your phone ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Me?

A lot of things. Too tedious to type out..

But it's only happened that once.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    It may just be a Sprint issue. I've had this problem sporadically with the Pre, but also with other phones I've had on Sprint. It seems to come and go. It actually has happened less often with the Pre, but that may be just coincidence.

My theory is that sometimes their local tower/server/whatever gets overloaded with calls (they do have a finite capacity for connections) and when that happens Sprint's system just sends your incoming call straight to voice mail without ever making your phone ring. It doesn't matter how good your signal is because that isn't the problem. Sprint just doesn't have a line to spare at that moment to complete your call.

Edit: I just realized you said you were getting the missed call notification. When what I am describing happens you don't even get that, you just get a voice mail notification (if the caller leaves a message.)
    I agree with "reidme" for the most part. I do not belive it is your phone, but the Sprint network. We have 5 different phones on our Family plan, and this happens from time to time with all of them. A Sprint employee at our local store told me that this "can" happen regardless of signal because their are only so many connections the system can support from a tower. In our area, we still do not have 3G and he said once we do, it will help this issue not happen as much. I assume because extra bandwidth, upgraded switches or whatever. I also just read an article in PCWorld stating that the bars on your phone show strength to nearest tower only. It doesn't mean you will get a line. They claimed that is one of the reasons that FCC doesn't allow phones to be used on planes. It's not that they will cause plane to crash, but in the air you are closer to more towers then when on the ground and your phone will lock in connections, in case you make a call, instead of leaving it open for others.
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    It's been happening to me too as well. Can't figure it out.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Go to your phone app and type in ##evdo#

Make sure your set to "Hybrid Rev A"

Setting to evdo only will cause the problem you describe.

Good luck.
    I had this issue on my iphone 3G all the time. I have not noticed it on my PRE.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast